Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Best choice to replace the JRXS-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:11 AM
samw2278

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best choice to replace the JRXS-R

Hi,

I have 2 JRXS Type R cars and love them. But I will be retiring soon and need to set myself up for the future. I want to continue to run really fast 17.5 T Stock on-road cars, but I wont have the same amount of spare cash that I have now.

I has hoping to be running a Losi, but it seems that Losi are only planing to make off-road cars from now on.

Any suggestions?? What will go really fast, handle really well, easy to work on, but wont cost the earth??
Old 09-05-2011, 10:38 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Default RE: Best choice to replace the JRXS-R

For a carbon fiber car, the lowest costing one I can only think of the Hot Bodies Cyclone TC, or better yet the Team Assoicated TC6 for less than $350 at Stormer Hobbies. The problem is, the TC6 is a super headache to work on; especially because the suspension mount blocks are bolted on the inside of the bulkheads, so it requires you to take the entire car apart. Tamiya makes a race ready tub chassis car not unlike a Hot Bodies Cyclone S, and it's super easy to work on - the TA05 ver.II R. I can swap out diffs and change gears under 15 minutes. This car is laid out the same way as a TRF416 series car, and uses the same drive train parts. It's the one least expensive TRF car - the R version, not the non-R version, as that is an entry level club racer that doesn't come with the TRF parts.

I also like the X Ray TC3 2011 edition car, but it costs a lot, almost as much as a Tamiya TRF416 or TRF417 car.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM
warnos16v

A couple of guys from our club recently changed from JRXS-R's over to Serpents and they are half a second faster they claim with box setup or not far off it.. so a change would be worth while.. also in 17.5 its so hard to get good cooling on the motor in the Losi.. the losi's are an awsome design.. eveything in the centre.. losi really should make an update and stop sticking with dirt..

Since you are changing cars and need to get spares and everything I check out what the guys at the track have if u are a member of a club which sounds like u are... maybe see if u can get a couple of laps with one.. to see if u like it? Xrays are well supported in Oz.. but I am bias to the TCX if u dont mind ordering online.. the xrays are built tough though.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Oh my - I forgot about Serpent - they make a great car too
Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 AM
samw2278

It is not that easy to decide. All the cars that you mentioned look great.

I wonder if Serpent will end up putting a similar rear camber system on their electric car to their nitro car.

The sad thing is that they all seem to be making it hard to change their front belt. I guess Losi has spoiled me for working on other cars.

Thanks guys, now I will have to download their manuals and see which one I want to work on the most.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:51 PM
warnos16v

Its not that hard to change a belt on any of them.. why worry about that.. I have not changed a belt all year in the front.... rear snapped once. My fault though.. It was too tight when putting the gear diff in..

ORIGINAL: samw2278

It is not that easy to decide. All the cars that you mentioned look great.

I wonder if Serpent will end up putting a similar rear camber system on their electric car to their nitro car.

The sad thing is that they all seem to be making it hard to change their front belt. I guess Losi has spoiled me for working on other cars.

Thanks guys, now I will have to download their manuals and see which one I want to work on the most.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:50 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: warnos16v

Its not that hard to change a belt on any of them.. why worry about that.. I have not changed a belt all year in the front.... rear snapped once. My fault though.. It was too tight when putting the gear diff in..
THANK YOU I can't quite understand this "belt dillema" either, unless they're running their cars bareback and off-road . . .

+1 to you Warnos 16v

Old 09-13-2011, 05:33 AM
samw2278

Thanks guys. Your help is very much appreciated.

I find myself attracted to the Serpent. Over the years, I have had a number of issues with ball diffs, ranging from broken adjusters to dirt in the balls to continually changing adjustment and slipping. The thought of having a gear diff is quite appealing.

Thanks guys.