Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin rudders

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin rudders

You would think that twin rudders would help on a twin . But two of the worst planes with an engine out are the P38 and B25. Yet the Deulest and a Hornet with single rudders are fairly forgiving. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. I know wing loading has a lot to do with it ,but the Deulest and Hornet aren't light planes either. Thanks
Old 08-24-2003, 10:09 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Twin rudders

Just as you suspect there are a lot of factors affecting any conventional multi with an engine out. And you are correct in the assumption that twin fin/rudders can provide more yaw authority. Of course the reason is with a twin with an engine out 50% of your rudder surface is operating in high energy air behind the good engine operating at high power although you have lost some total yaw authority with one rudder operating in lower energy air behind the dead engine. The net effect is greater control than a single tail aircraft where the rudder is operating in the lower energy air at all times.

This of course is the reason twin fin aircraft were developed many years ago and used by countless types. To answer your question about the specific RC types you mentioned you will find the answer in tail volume. Tail volume is the sum of the tail area times the tail moment. The greater this figure is in the case of the vertical surfaces the more rudder authority and yaw stability will be. This equation can be changed by adding/reduceing the surface area or the moment arm of the tail.

If you look at both the dualist and the Hornets tail moment even though the vertical surfaces may not be huge you will see both ships have very long tail moment arms when compared to both the B-25 and P-38 and the 38's vertical surfaces as well are smallish.

John
Old 08-25-2003, 01:19 AM
Baldeagle

Default Twin rudders

Thanks John I have the Zorilli B25 and so far I haven't had an engine out. How is the weather in Kingman? We are getting rain about every day. I live in Lakeside.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:36 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Twin rudders

Yup Monsoons are here too. Thunderstorms every late afternoon. But great calm mornings and flying everyday in the AM. I,am sorry I don,t know where Lakeside is. I fly a pylon race every month down at Speedworld Just north of PHX. Is that in your vicinity? That Ziroli ship is georgous.

John
Old 08-25-2003, 01:46 AM
Baldeagle

Default Twin rudders

John to get to where we are. go east to Flagstaff then to Hollbrook turn south 50 miles. We are next to Show Low Thanks