Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Satellite receivers, (or extra antennae) a real world safety advantage.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Satellite receivers, (or extra antennae) a real world safety advantage.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Satellite receivers, (or extra antennae) a real world safety advantage.

Well, keeping the story short, I also fly FASST without issues. but last sunday something happened that I think is a good idea to comment.

While fueling my Hotcat wich uses a Spektrum 9 channel receiver with two satellites, something very wrong caught my attention. One antenna was stuck inside the rx. It probably broke the solder from the pc board and while doing something inside the plane my hand may have pushed it inside the rx case.

I probably made a good number of flights without knowing that the antenna wire was loose from the rx, as my extra satellite has the same orientation of the rx antenna , it kept the system radio link working. As I was eager to fly but worried about this , I checked the radio range and got a excellent distance in any airplane position on ground and flew again without incidents.

Have this happened in the Futaba system, I would have lost my jet.

Food for thought for the people who think that satellites are not a advantage in their airplanes (!)

Old 12-06-2011, 11:42 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Satellite receivers, (or extra antennae) a real world safety advantage.

The counter argument is:

1) Futaba FASST antennas are not soldered to the PCB, they use a coax connector that as far as I have seen, is impossible to disconnect without removing the case (on the other hand, if the antenna is damaged, replacements are available from Futaba and easily replaced by the user - an advantage in my book);

2) With only 2 antennas vs. 8 for a 4 satellite system, the chances of damaging an RX antenna while fiddling inside your model are significantly reduced.

YMMV

Bob
Old 12-06-2011, 12:04 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Satellite receivers, (or extra antennae) a real world safety advantage.

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

2) With only 2 antennas......... the chances of damaging an RX antenna.....are significantly reduced.

as are the chances of 100% reception at any orientation from the TX.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:33 PM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I really like the RSS system I have in my jet running two receivers allows for really good reception at all angles and switch over when one fails or has some kind of signal blocking from the turbine.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so glad my FASST hasn't got any satellite's to break.

Jason
Old 12-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 745 Likes on 539 Posts

I love satellite Rx's its a brilliant idea...easily mounted, easily placed where they need to be...genius.
I know the Futaba way works, seen it flying...but...I've seen more range issues because of masking and that's a problem!

Dw
Old 12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Duncan

ORIGINAL: jason

Jason
You didn't love it when the factory forgot to connect the antenna inside the case LOL
Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 PM
jason

ORIGINAL: Duncan

ORIGINAL: jason

Jason
You didn't love it when the factory forgot to connect the antenna inside the case LOL

that was a 6 ch tranny not a RX.

J
Old 12-06-2011, 03:12 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did not like it when my Spektrum Tx aerial lead disconnected inside the module whilst flying, no amount of satellite Rx's would have stopped that crash.

Mike
Old 12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Nhalyn

Aerials are really fragiles things, so I protect them by securisation, for exemple a plastic tube glued in the fuse.

I also fly some r6106 6 Channel receivers. They have only one aerial and it work great on my pattern plane and in two slope gliders, one is a 60'. Lots of guys also fly some Assan stuff with only one real aerial, the second one is only Ă* zero volt reference. And it work great...

But diversity is better, and my Futura fly with rrs powerbox. That means 4 FASST protected aerials...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

I love satellite Rx's its a brilliant idea...easily mounted, easily placed where they need to be...genius.
I know the Futaba way works, seen it flying...but...I've seen more range issues because of masking and that's a problem!

Dw
YepMe as well Dave. I even take some 3mm fuel tubing and make a guard for the little wires. Fits perfect on that little RX protrusion that the wire exits out of.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Have this happened in the Futaba system, I would have lost my jet.

Food for thought for the people who think that satellites are not a advantage in their airplanes (!)

You sound confident you would have lost the jet, but it's highly unlikely it would have crashed from a pushed in antenna. The Futaba 3" 'cat-wisker' antennas/coax cable(s) would be nearly impossible to completely push into the RX case.

If your jet flew well with a faulty antenna, it goes to show you that don't need all that 'feature', just take the out the satellites and run just 2 antennas like we FOOTABA guys do.

... Just kiddin' . Good eye on spotting the problem though.[8D]
Old 12-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

2) With only 2 antennas......... the chances of damaging an RX antenna.....are significantly reduced.

as are the chances of 100% reception at any orientation from the TX.
So true!!! but even 20 antennae (correct plural term for antenna) won't make up for the Spektrum system's core weaknesses, it's not necessarily an advantage... but It would be for futaba receivers
Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM
erbroens

Good valid points guys, thanks for your opinions.

However for a simplification of the problem analysis it would be better to keep aside the DSM x FASST debate. The premise proposed here is that having extra receivers and antennae is better than having just two, in case for whatever reason you damage one or both.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 PM
tuan lam

can't wait for JR and spektrum come out new satellite RX for 16 channel, 1 RX and 8 satellite[X(] so make room in your jet for it[&o]
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Get a dx8 and monitor your radio performance and you very quickly find out why four rf links is at least 1000 times better than just two! This is for the people that believe in the old NASA saying that "failure is NOT an option!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

However for a simplification of the problem analysis it would be better to keep aside the DSM x FASST debate. The premise proposed here is that having extra receivers and antennae is better than having just two, in case for whatever reason you damage one or both.

Agree and I believe you have a valid point, these 2.4Ghz receiver antennae are extremely fragile, but as you stated " for a simplification of the problem analysis" and keeping the DSM/FASST debate out, your concern could be solved with having 4, 6, 8 or whatever number of antennae you want coming out of your main receiver, you can damage a few, and still have excellent reception, no need for satellites to do that...
Old 12-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Nhalyn

Fuel tubing is an idea, i prefer to use rigid plastic tube, for exemple sullivan pushrod guide tube to fit in and protect antenae. My antenae are always internal of models in 2.4ghz friendly zones. I try to make most unlikely a mechanichal action on the aerials.

Satellites or not, you have to protect that stuff.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 AM
erbroens

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

Agree and I believe you have a valid point, these 2.4Ghz receiver antennae are extremely fragile, but as you stated '' for a simplification of the problem analysis'' and keeping the DSM/FASST debate out, your concern could be solved with having 4, 6, 8 or whatever number of antennae you want coming out of your main receiver, you can damage a few, and still have excellent reception, no need for satellites to do that...
Yes, this will do.. a "hairy" receiver with some antennae , long enough to clear some of them a RF obstacle like plates, pumps,etc.. wouldn´t be this possible as a DIY mod for the current FASST receivers?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Nhalyn

I'm not an electronics man, but it seems to me that you can't multiplicate antennae as you want !

FASST have two antennae, and choose the better one as reference. You can't plug 4 antennae on the same port.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

All of those stupid satellites did crap on my 3 lost jets.

All 3 had AR9100 with 4 ants and dual batteries..............

The weak link is the crappy spektrum system and the RF board of the transmitter that would decide to fail every 6 months after being repaired.......................
Old 12-08-2011, 05:27 AM
GrayUK

Dw
Never seen any range issues wth FASST or any masking problems, and i have done a LOT of testing.
I have seen lots of problems with Spektrum...so i know what i will continue to use.

Also, protect your aerials with plastic tube, fuel tube works, not just the coax bit, the whole wire.

Grandad
Old 12-08-2011, 06:50 AM
erbroens

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

Dw
Never seen any range issues wth FASST or any masking problems, and i have done a LOT of testing.
I have seen lots of problems with Spektrum...so i know what i will continue to use.

Also, protect your aerials with plastic tube, fuel tube works, not just the coax bit, the whole wire.

Grandad

I am sure that FASST is ok, but I had seen things this place... LOL

don´t try to go to space with FASST and a fancy plate between your TX and RX antennae.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the Fasst system... countless flights with no issue

On all my planes I run the aerials in air line tubing and use the easy clips to snap them in place where I want them, this has worked really nice

In my area I've seen many specktrum crashes, none for futaba fasst that's why I bought it and never looked back