Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

crawler king motor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crawler king motor question

would a venom fireball 55 turn 540 motor be an upgrade over the stock motor that is also 540 size 55 turn?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: crawler king motor question

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

would a venom fireball 55 turn 540 motor be an upgrade over the stock motor that is also 540 size 55 turn?
nope. same performance.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:36 PM
diabolic-mind

ahh, well i bought it anyways lol. im not entirely sure that the motor in it is even the stock motor. the guy i got it from had it apart and his kids seemed to have stripped it down. the guy at my hobby shop said that with this motor i can rebuild it, and that it has cooling fins for the brushes and that it will have alot better cooling overall
Old 12-12-2011, 02:47 PM
diabolic-mind

i also bought a 15 tooth and 17 tooth pinion gear, gonna try those in comparison to the 22 tooth im using now and see what kinda torque it has. it has a 93 tooth spur in it now.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:34 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

if you lower the size of the pinion you will increase torque and decrease top speed.

smaller pinion is better for steep climbs, or mud running ect.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:50 PM
diabolic-mind

well i got the venom motor in along with the 17 tooth pinion, and i strongly believe now that the motor the guy gave me with it was not the stock motor. as it is right now after a brief test run the amount of torque it has is about 3 times greater. i doubt such a drastic increase would be noticable from the drop from a 22 tooth pinion to a 17 tooth but i could be wrong. all i know is that now when the tires would have previously bogged out it now just chews them in until it bites and it crawls out!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:13 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

5 teeth can make a big change!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 PM
diabolic-mind

i got a 15 tooth also, but with the 93 tooth spur the gears dont mesh, im going to need to extend the slot that the motor slides in on the aluminum motor plate to get it to mesh. i am excited to see how much torque it has with the 15. working on getting a 100 tooth spur and a 10 tooth pinion eventually. i imagine with those it would be slow as crap but have crazy torque. and i would love to have torque over speed. im still up in the air on the gear reduction kit but from what ive seen of videos it makes it extremely slow. id like to have a little bit of speed still
Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i like a bit of wheel speed also. insane torque is nice, but if the rocks are a bit slippery then you need a bit of wheel speed to get up them.
same with mud, wheel speed is a must. also with snow.

i just finished building my ax10 kit. i put redcat earthquake tires one it. the tires are 5 inches wide and almost 7 inches tall. looks kinda funny, but should be awsome in the snow!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 PM
diabolic-mind

damn, thats some serious tires! the nice thing with the taller tires is youll have that much more clearance under the diffs. im debating on going with a smaller wheel myself, reason one is for a more scale look, and reason two is for that little extra power. still trying to decide on what i should get as far as a tire tread, mainly i will be using it on trails and steep hills more than rock crawling. although something with a balance for both would be good. however snow is just about to hit the fan here so i am starting to think maybe i should get something more suited for ice and snow for the winter months. or do you think i could simply get away with using small screws to "stud" the stock tires i have on it?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:17 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

driving on snow is more about "footprint" than traction. the tire needs to ride ontop of the snow. if the tire's footprint is not large enough, then the tire will just dig in and get you stuck.

there are scale truck guys that swap over to 2.2 tires like the imex swamp dawgs and such for winter driving.

for scale, trails and some mild rock crawling the 1.9 axial flat irons are pretty dang good. they are much narrower, but i am often surprised at what my scx10 jeep can do with them.

i also have a set of 1.9 flat iron duellies. basically, 2 rims bolted together. makes the rear twice as wide. i will still probly run 2.2s on the jeep for the winter tho. as you mentioned, a taller tire also keeps the axle higher up. if the axles pushes snow then it slows the truck down alot.

here is vid of my jeep with 1.9 flat irons this past summer, as you can see...even tho they are scale they work pretty dang well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqWRmAzuUO0
Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 PM
diabolic-mind

damn man that is sweet! thats some hella deep water you were driving in. seeing that really make me want to scale my truck and get it waterproofed!