Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rc10 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:01 PM
gimpin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc10 questions

I just picked up an old rc10 buggy (tub style) and have some questions .... I am new to the elec rcs

Esc: hobbico duratrax dtx-4
Can I run a lipo batt with this? If so what is a good set up to buy .... I assume I will need to buy a new charger as well as the one I have is a "model craft pro tech super charger ac/dc 702"

Motor: sapphire 17 turn
Is this a decent motor?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rc10 questions

To run lipo with that esc, you need either a voltage cutoff, or an alarm. These prevent (or help to prevent) the cells from dropping below about 3 volts, which is bad and will damage them.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Ttowntoolman

A voltage cut off is nice but not manditory to run Lipos...........When Lipos first hit the market there were ZERO ESC's that had a Low voltage cut off and everyone still ran them. You need to be disaplined enough to know when your lipos are running low though, it is simple, when you squeez the trigger and you feel the power fading, it is time to charge your lipo. I have been running lipos since they came out and I do not use a lipo cut off and have never come close to running below 3v per cell. It is very obvious when you need to stop and charge.......Lipo batteries keep there punch right to the bitter end so when you feel a decrease in power it is time to stop and charge. Simple really so I say poopoo to the LVC on any ESC so they are all compatable to me.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
gimpin

ok ... thanks for the input ... what is a good lipo batt and charger to buy ... not looking to break the bank as I just plan to use this for back yard bashing
Old 12-19-2011, 01:45 PM
gimpin

also do I need to be concerned about what voltage lipo to get?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:37 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

I think its safe to say you can only use 7.4 volts for that brushed set-up. Older ESCs can only handle 6 to 7.2 volts. 5-6 cells, some can handle up to 7 cells, so that is 8.4 volts (1.2v per cell). But with Lipo batts, each cell is 3.2 volts. so for lipo it goes 3.2, 7.4, 11.1 etc.

I think it will be best and safer and cheaper to go with Nimh's to start. I would only recommend LIPO batts if you will go brushless.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Scottgir

ORIGINAL: ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

I think its safe to say you can only use 7.4 volts for that brushed set-up. Older ESCs can only handle 6 to 7.2 volts. 5-6 cells, some can handle up to 7 cells, so that is 8.4 volts (1.2v per cell). But with Lipo batts, each cell is 3.2 volts. so for lipo it goes 3.2, 7.4, 11.1 etc.

I think it will be best and safer and cheaper to go with Nimh's to start. I would only recommend LIPO batts if you will go brushless.
Don't assume any esc's stats, especially those produced from 1990 on.

The Duratrax DTX-4 was a rebadged Novak 410-M5. It handles 4-10 cells (or 4.8V - 12V). Translation. 2S is VERY safe to run with this esc. The only issue you have is the lipo voltage. Get yourself a $2 Low voltage alarm off ebay, plug the battery into the esc, plug the balance lead into the alarm and off you go.

It also is unlimited motor so you're covered there.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

ThnderbirdJunkie has run a 3S LiPo on his Novak Cyclone. Then again, ITBJRC, it's rated for 8 cells, but he's also run his 6-cell rated NOSRAM ESC on 3S, and it says 6 cell NiCd/NiMh max.

Take this with a grain of salt, OP, and don't assume anything :P Stick with 2S.

A 17t motor will suck up the LiPo love.