Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

A.P .09 troubles...help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 03:08 AM
miamiquasar-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A.P .09 troubles...help?

Hi folks,
Last fall I bought aN AP.09 & broke it in on the bench till it started first flip & ran/transitioned beautifully for several tanks of fuel.I then used after-run oil,cleaned & stored the engine for winter(flew e-planes).I recently mounted it in a scratchbuilt foamy mustang & it's sick or something!It started very easily(every time) but got balky at about 1/2throttle & just dies everytime I attempt full throttle.It actually increases rpm's as I RICHEN the needle!It is unflyable.I then discovered the backplate gasket o-ring was broken & replaced it,thinking I had solved the problem.Nope.Also fresh fuel,New plug,swap tanks.Nope,nope,nope.Still all balky & no chance of even near full throttle.Whats wrong with my new engine which was an instantly-powerful-gem when I put it away last year?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards.
M.Q.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:20 AM
LOONY BOY

OK miamiquasar
It should run just like the first time even after a long time on the shelf, sounds like you did the right thing before you stored it.

You must have some kind of blockage in your needle valve.
Take the engine out of the airframe and run it on the test bench ( always test an engine on a bench) like you did the first time but first remove your carb, pull it apart and clean and blow everything out. Did you remove the head?, if you did then screw off exhaust and check that the exhaust port is alligned correctily because there is no locating pin on the casing and will run bad if not alligned.
Try this first.
These AP .09 are excellent engines, take everything you give them.

LOONY BOY
Old 08-29-2003, 01:56 AM
miamiquasar-RCU

Thanks LooneyBoy,
I'll mount it on the stand again & remove/clean the carb with my fingers crossed.I was surprised the o-ring/bplate gasket was broken after only break-in & winter storage...I hope the cleaning works!

Thanks,
M.Q.