Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Life on ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM
tomfiorentino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Life on ignition

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

I eat lots of meat and eggs and butter and my cholesterol is like 160. My wife eats very little and hers is like 300[X(] Whats that go to do with batteries you say? Different strokes for different folks LiFe, NmH, Nicd, Lipo, all work, 1 battery 2 batteries, all work. I use 2 batteries because it makes my plane balance No dead weight, and it's all good. I personally don't see any reason to stress the ignition with 6 volts when it works fine on 4.8 and I don't need becs, resistors, and regulators. Again all good and there are many options for everyone. [8D] Cool, huh!
Raptureboy,

I hear you..but listen, some of this is not that clear cut and there is lots of thinking going on for me anyway.

For example, when I set my bird up I was bent on TWO batteries for redundancy with a BEC. I thought that two 1,100mah A123's wouldn't be enough capacity and also thought that two 2,300mah A123's would be a little too much capacity (and weight). But I went with the two 2,300mah in parallel.

Another alternative that I appreciate more now after listening to these guys discuss it is that I could have gone with one 1,100mah A123 for ignition and one 2,300mah A123 with DUAL LEADS to two switches (close enough on redundancy, and I'll assume for a moment that in the event of a switch failure with this set-up, that the single side left wouldn't create a "pipeline too narrow" for the amp demands of digitals etc.). Great! I get a weight savings.

But hang on a minute...here is the problem with that last set-up. Barring my assumption above being bad, I know it works for the A123 chemistry because the internal impedence of that chemistry is such that it can sustain 6 volts even if it is not in parallel with another battery. Change the chemistry and the internal impedence may be such that it requires that chemistry to be used in parallel (therby cutting impedence in half all things remaining equal and increasing the chance that 6 volts is sustainable with the same switch failure). In other words, two leads good for some batteries not others.

Anyway...just stuff to think about.

You guys agree with that assessment by and large? Two leads don't halve the impedence....only two batteries in parallel does...do I have this right?

Tom
Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Right...but...one lead is plenty for my 50cc stuff with 5 7955 Hitecs flying 3d so about the only thing you're cutting out is a switch failure.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 PM
tomfiorentino

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Right...but...one lead is plenty for my 50cc stuff with 5 7955 Hitecs flying 3d so about the only thing you're cutting out is a switch failure.
BarracudaHockey,

Yes I agree one is plenty...but that is because we know an A123 can handle the anticipated maximum demand of that setup given it's low internal impedence (I looked back and believe you said you use A123).

There may be other chemistires though that will not be able to handle it if I understand the reading I have done anyway. That is what I was trying to differentiate, and I hope I didn't confuse things.

I learned from you on this one Barracuda with the dual pack feeds....since my JR powersafe has the softswitch (no failure point there) I bet I can probably get a 2,300mah A123 with dual EC3 connectors to run at least a couple flights (no smoke). I am getting more and more comfortable with knowing exactly where I am with these A123's that it may be worth the weight savings.

Just different stuff to pursue and learn about...part of the fun for me.

Thanks for sharing your ideas....to the OP....great thread!

Tom

PS Friends in hockey Barracuda?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

On the bold, an exellent problem to avoid from where I'm sitting! The switches are a pretty common failure point.

Tom, I agree with your strategy 100%. Simple, and redundant enough.

-Al
Old 03-15-2012, 01:18 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

It's all good, I'm here to share AND learn, and I usually learn something every day.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 AM
ahicks

It's all good, I'm here to share AND learn, and I usually learn something every day.
I see something new and start asking questions frequently. I'd like to believe we are ALL here to share and learn! That's why I'm so addicted to this place....
Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Plus one to ahicks response.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 PM
darrolair

What do radio manufactures say about usage of 1 battery for receiver and ignition on gas engines?

Darrolair
Old 03-16-2012, 04:28 PM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: darrolair

What do radio manufactures say about usage of 1 battery for receiver and ignition on gas engines?

Darrolair
Just a guess, but my bet would be they aren't going to recommend something they don't want to support. Going with one battery is going to force the use of equipment they don't make/sell, so pretty sure they aren't going to suggest their use?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:46 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Darrolair
Just a guess, but my bet would be they aren't going to recommend something they don't want to support. Going with one battery is going to force the use of equipment they don't make/sell, so pretty sure they aren't going to suggest their use?
Not to mention liabilities and warranty disputes.[&o]
Old 03-16-2012, 05:09 PM
tomfiorentino

Darrolair
Ignition demands about the same as say...smoke pump? I don't know.

Best chance of it working would be with dual EC3 or similar pack feeds.

Oh well...I'm going flying Sunday boys! It is going to be 72 degrees, zero chance of precipitation and I never consider wind

See ya!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:02 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ameyam

I am planning to replace the 5c 6v (with diode) NiMH on my DLE20 ignition with a LiFe to save weight. I will also be updraging to a OS GT33 soon. So the question is

1) If I put a seperate ignition battery, will the 1300mAh LiFe from Hobbico be sufficient for that. How many flights will it give me (10 mins each). Of course I will be using some type of regulator

2) Should I consider using 1 x 3200mAh battery for both TX and ignition with a regulator on the ignition side?

All the effort here is to save on weight. I have a 1300mAh and a 3200mAh LiFe but the 3200 doesnt get used much due to its weight. On my Dle20 Phoenix, I use the LiFe on RX and NiMH on the ignition. If I can use the 3200mAh for both, I will be able to balance my nose heavy airplane as well without adding nose weight

Ameyam
My most recent project

H-9 Showtime 90 with DLE 20 up front.

Saxox 1251 servo;s in wings, Hyperion DS20 UMD on elevators and rudder.
Electrical system:
1 x Zippy Flightmax 2500mA.hr LiFE 5C Rx pack.
1x Hyperion Switch
1x futaba y lead
1x futaba male to male connector

so one end of the Y lad into Rx,
the Other into Diode IN0007, then RCxcl V2.0 Opto Kill then RCXcl #4 ignition.

Current draw per 10 min flight is around 250mA. or 0.1C

<br type="_moz" />