Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 80 B2

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:26 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 80 B2

Ibought an old ZDZ 80 B2 at Perry this year. It came from an estate sale and the guys couldnt tell me anything about the motor. It has a 24X10 Stinger prop and turning it over by hand it seems to have solid compression.
The muffler needs replacing.
I just tried for the last 30 minutes to upload some pics of the carb, but no joy there. It is a Walbro.

My club prez is a very experianced gasser, but he has no ZDZexperiance. Ion the other hand have zero experiance with all gassers and this will be my first. This thing will be going on a 98 in wingspan Lanier Giles 202. Ihave read alot and I believe that this motor is plenty of power for my needs.

Any info you guys could give us about this motor would be appreciated. It came with no manuals.
Ihave a test stand and Iam hoping to try ti fire it up in the next 2 -3 weeks.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ZDZ 80 B2

Its a good engine. You might have to put a kit in the carburetor.
If it has the Falcon ignition, if you leave the ignition sw on and don't flip the prop for one minute it will shut itself off. To reset it turn the sw off and back on.
The prop size sounds about right.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: ZDZ 80 B2

Well I hope you got it cheap 'cause it's old and does not put out the power of the single cylinder 80's and it's heavy compared to those engines.

First thought; DO NOT run it on a test stand. ZDZ's don't have a lot of fin area on the cylinders and they'll get hot running 'em on the ground real quick. Make sure you have adequate baffling inside the cowl and air exits for proper cooling in flight.

Second thought; make SURE the choke plate is closing completely or you'll never get enough fuel in it to get it started. With the rotary valve intake it has to be wet to seal that setup and if it's not wet it's not 'gonna start.

Third thought; make sure you run premium pump gas. ZDZ's are high compression engines and need the higher octane fuel.

Fourth thought; make sure the throttle blade is operating in the correct direction. It is possible to get that reversed and if it happens the engine will start but run like crap.

That said; the ZDZ's are smooth running engines and will have much better throttle response than their competitors, there are just a few "rules" you have to pay attention to when running them....