Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Fiber-Classics/Composite-arf 2.6m 330

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fiber-Classics/Composite-arf 2.6m 330

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 09:32 PM
apman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiber-Classics/Composite-arf 2.6m 330

I am considering buying the all white with red lower wing/stab color 2.6m 330.
Composite-arf web-site price $990.00 plus shipping

Planes Plus (Fiber-Classics) web-site price $1895.00 plus shipping

OK, as I understand all of these threads addressing this composite model, they are made by the same manufacturer.

Is that correct, or are the Fiber-Classics being made by a different factory?

If so, even as a hobby shop owner, I understand the need to make a profit on an item, but why the large price disparity?

Is the middle-man the only reason?

Even accounting for a reasonable price mark-up because of overseas shipping, it is a large difference.

Am I missing some information here? I am not trying to start any cr*p with anyone, or throw stones, or start a "he did/they said" thread, just trying to get some understanding of this situation.

Thanks in advance for replies from you guys that actually own these planes.

Rick
Old 08-29-2003, 10:12 PM
Diablo-RCU

Planes Plus used to be the sole distributor in North America for the Fiberclassics planes - produced in Thailand for several years. The factory owner decided for whatever reason to set up his own distribution network (Composite ARF) and charge a lot less. The CA planes are made in the same factory and to the same specs as the original Fiberclassics. I don't know if Planes Plus has any more of these models for sale. I have heard that Planes Plus is working on distribution of a new Fiberclassics line that is not made in Thailand.

As to the whys of all this, you'd have to hear from the owners of Planes Plus and Composite ARF.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:12 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last I heard Planes Plus was matching the Compsite-ARF price, but more recently I was told that they are out of the red/white planes, which are being replaced with a newer version. I went with Composite-ARF and ordered one from them.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:04 PM
apman

Diablo and flyfalcons, thanks for your replies.
Looks like removing the dealer (middleman) has been the main reason for the price drop.

Rick
Old 08-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Ian.W

Right...............FC were made in Germany, this coumpany is now NO LONGER. However Comp ARF now do all these models in thiland for cheaper and better quality. Thats why the FC aircraft are now cheaper!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:28 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Fiber-Classics/Composite-arf 2.6m 330

Originally posted by apman
I am considering buying the all white with red lower wing/stab color 2.6m 330.
Composite-arf web-site price $990.00 plus shipping

Planes Plus (Fiber-Classics) web-site price $1895.00 plus shipping

Rick,
I think the $1895 price is the "list" price for the painted version. "Sale" price was $1400 and change (I don't know of anyone who paid "list" price for the plane). If I remember correctly the version you are contemplating was $1200 and change. I personally went with the scale painted version (Yellow), but have not seen that varient from CA. There were rumors that the CA "cheepies" were factory seconds. I doubt there is truth to that - but some of the stories made me wonder. FWIW I did hear that they made good on the defects right away.

I bought the FC version and have not had a problem. Good luck you will like this aircraft I am sure. Please keep us posted as to what you buy and how you like it.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:56 PM
apman

RickP,

On the Planes Plus web-site the only price listed for the version I wanted is $1895.00, so I accepted this as fact. I did not call to find out any more info than that, as I am still trying to get all of my info about the actual plane itself, before the purchase, and was price shopping/snooping at the time.

I was unaware of the (sale) drop in price of the FC plane.

I have just finished an Aeroworks 40% Edge 540 kit w/DA150, and this is just a bunch of airplane to drag around, so I was shopping for something a little more transportable and the FC/CA is a great design.

Most of my previous birds were in the 100" range, and were just the right size.

Thanks for your input.

Rick