Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

anyone still using NIMH?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: anyone still using NIMH?

thats were ive set mine too. pluss ive lest them at that for a week or so... no problems..
Old 03-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh okay cool thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Clmbngfrk18

I recently started using lipos myself so far im a fan. The nimhs would get quite hot when used the lipo doesnt heat up at all. Charging isnt much diff if you have the right charger i have an ac6 i belive and i just plug the 2 plugs in and go. All the settings from my last charge are there already. I just picked up some lipo sacks just as a precaution. Lipos in most cells phones now a days. And i sleep with my phone charging under my pillow(i know not smart). All in all ill be getting more as long as you dont abyse them their fine. Accidents can happen but thats why thier accidents.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:43 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think i have to lie my favorite lipo to rest i havent touched it for a while, and last time it was in a horrible horrible wreck and low voltage, i checked today, cell 1 -3.93 cell 2 -1.8

darn it! make sure you guys put a store charge on them before you forget!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Microz

clmbngfrk18- yeah the nimh batteries do get quite hot. i've heard good things about the thunder ac6. my phone stays on charge over night too...just not under my pillow! <div>
</div><div>The_Shark- man that sucks. atleast lipos aren't all that expensive if you buy them from hobbyking or hobbypartz. i'll make sure to put it onto storage charge before i forget!</div>
Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Microz

clmbngfrk18- yeah the nimh batteries do get quite hot. i've heard good things about the thunder ac6. my phone stays on charge over night too...just not under my pillow! <div>
</div><div>The_Shark- man that sucks. atleast lipos aren't all that expensive if you buy them from hobbyking or hobbypartz. i'll make sure to put it onto storage charge before i forget!</div>
but it was my first

heh, yeah it was only $12 but it was a sweet deal for a hyperion.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

clmbngfrk18- yeah the nimh batteries do get quite hot. i've heard good things about the thunder ac6. my phone stays on charge over night too...just not under my pillow! <div></div><div>The_Shark- man that sucks. atleast lipos aren't all that expensive if you buy them from hobbyking or hobbypartz. i'll make sure to put it onto storage charge before i forget!</div>
but it was my first

wow! your first lipo was still going strong? how old was it? and that is a very good deal for a hyperion.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 PM
The_Shark

clmbngfrk18- yeah the nimh batteries do get quite hot. i've heard good things about the thunder ac6. my phone stays on charge over night too...just not under my pillow! <div> </div><div>The_Shark- man that sucks. atleast lipos aren't all that expensive if you buy them from hobbyking or hobbypartz. i'll make sure to put it onto storage charge before i forget!</div>
but it was my first

wow! your first lipo was still going strong? how old was it? and that is a very good deal for a hyperion.
<br type=''_moz'' />
bout 2.5, i put it through hell though, 80mph+ crashes, launching the battery right out of the car on a couple occasions, got it soaked a few times. it was a mini battery, but 1800mah at 40C and a 5C charge rate that thing rocked!
Old 03-24-2012, 06:43 AM
Microz

clmbngfrk18- yeah the nimh batteries do get quite hot. i've heard good things about the thunder ac6. my phone stays on charge over night too...just not under my pillow! <div></div><div>The_Shark- man that sucks. atleast lipos aren't all that expensive if you buy them from hobbyking or hobbypartz. i'll make sure to put it onto storage charge before i forget!</div>
but it was my first

<br type="" />
bout 2.5, i put it through hell though, 80mph+ crashes, launching the battery right out of the car on a couple occasions, got it soaked a few times. it was a mini battery, but 1800mah at 40C and a 5C charge rate that thing rocked!
whoa nice!
<br type="_moz" />
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Microz

i have a question about speed. will i see an increase in speed from a brushed (20T motor) + nimh system if i upgrade to a brushless (3500kv motor) + nimh system? reason being is because i dont see the need to go through the precautions of lipo if all im doing is bashing...and more focused on micro flight than cars.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 PM
cumquat

yes, a notable increase. a 20t motor is at best 2800kv. i still suggest you get lipo though, the nimh cells may not be able to provide adequate amps and lipo is now cheaper for the most part.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: cumquat

yes, a notable increase. a 20t motor is at best 2800kv. i still suggest you get lipo though, the nimh cells may not be able to provide adequate amps and lipo is now cheaper for the most part.
okay thank you. im still not sure about lipo. if i do go with a lipo though, i would go with the one in the link below. will it suffice for a 2wd 1/10 buggy? oh and i have two more questions if you dont mind. is it better to have a hardcase or soft case lipo? i noticed that with a hardcase i won't be able to see any damage done to the cells. also, since rc cars get into crashes more than planes and helis, will a lipo actually be able to handle the abuse without being damaged?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-3000-2s1p-hardcase-direct.html<br type="_moz" />
Old 03-24-2012, 01:04 PM
thehuntingterminator

okay thank you. im still not sure about lipo. if i do go with a lipo though, i would go with the one in the link below. will it suffice for a 2wd 1/10 buggy? oh and i have two more questions if you dont mind. is it better to have a hardcase or soft case lipo? i noticed that with a hardcase i won't be able to see any damage done to the cells. also, since rc cars get into crashes more than planes and helis, will a lipo actually be able to handle the abuse without being damaged?
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-30...z'' />
it's always better to buy hardcases. and yeah as long as you have a resonable BL system reasonably geared then that battery will do.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Microz

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-30...<br type="" />
it's always better to buy hardcases. and yeah as long as you have a resonable BL system reasonably geared then that battery will do.
alright cool thanks.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 PM
cumquat

that battery is good for motors up to 60 amps. if you are using a motor that draws more than 60 amps, it's too much for a 2wd period (with the exception of pan cars). i ran a 60a system all last summer in an evader. with the stock tires, it constantly spun out on everything but grass and asphalt. with a pair of good tires in back, it could pull wheelies on gravel. a low powered system (about 35a) will work wonderfully in a 2wd buggy (i'm running a motor with a peak amp of 40 in a 4wd and the only complaint i have is that i'm using a sensorless esc with a sensored motor which causes the motor to cog like none other for about 3 feet). if you dont have the system yet and dont mind waiting about a month, i'd get this http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...2r-3300kv.html if the motor isnt satisfying enough, tacon's are about $25 and will work with the esc.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Microz

that battery is good for motors up to 60 amps. if you are using a motor that draws more than 60 amps, it's too much for a 2wd period (with the exception of pan cars). i ran a 60a system all last summer in an evader. with the stock tires, it constantly spun out on everything but grass and asphalt. with a pair of good tires in back, it could pull wheelies on gravel. a low powered system (about 35a) will work wonderfully in a 2wd buggy (i'm running a motor with a peak amp of 40 in a 4wd and the only complaint i have is that i'm using a sensorless esc with a sensored motor which causes the motor to cog like none other for about 3 feet). if you dont have the system yet and dont mind waiting about a month, i'd get this http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...2r-3300kv.html if the motor isnt satisfying enough, tacon's are about $25 and will work with the esc.
okay thanks for the info! i dont plan on running an extremely powerful system.
<br type="_moz" />