Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC Car Action

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RC Car Action

While I really like this magazine (I subscribe tothisand RC Driver). I've noticed that quite often they will have articles that finish by stating to go to their website for "additional information" - but you can never find it.

Case in point: in the March edition, Brent Fiege wrote and article about cleaning bearings. The end of the article states "Be sure to check out my blog on RCCarAction.com to watch a step-by-step video on how to clean your bearings". You go to his blog, and only a short article - no video.

Iguess this is just meranting, but c'mon man! ;-)</p>
Old 03-23-2012, 02:34 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Car Action

I don't buy their "magazine" as they are usually little more than advertisement booklets. Check out XRC mag instead, good stuff there!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

yeah RC Car Action has been crap for well over a decade now and the website (both homepage and forum) are worse.  the magazine is a catalog of adds and the website is a never ending, never complete, ever changing agendas project that's hard to maneuver though and find things on.  and the forum, over the past year or so all iv herd is people bad mouthing it.  my IP is banned, can't tell you why.  i had been using the place for maybe 6 months, had probably about 60 post, nothing real negative, no bad mouthing, basically just liked to hit up the news and new releases section, hadn't signed on in probably 3 days but i was lurking.  it worked one night, 24 hours later it said my IP was banned.  do to the negativity id been hearing i didn't even bother finding out what was up and why.  i just moved on.<div>
</div><div>iv reached the conclusion that the best thing do to with anything RC Car Action is put it behind you and move on.</div>
Old 03-23-2012, 07:42 PM
JohnP2

I imagine as with most things, there are pros and cons with it.

I guess I can say I have been "satisified" with RC Car Action. I like their articles and actually enjoy the ads. Remember, guys, I am still only 3 months into "the hobby" so am soaking in everything I can. ;-) But yes, their website is horrific, and their customer service is very poor.

They also focus a lot on electric (although not nearly as much as RC Driver, IMO), but I understand there is a demand for it. I just wish I was in "the hobby" 10 years ago when it seems nitro was at its peak. Regardless, count me among those are a new and LOVE nitro - maybe it will make a big comeback! Guess I better stop before I open up a can of worms. Ha!

</p>
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I guess I can say I have been ''satisified'' with RC Car Action. I like their articles and actually enjoy the ads. Remember, guys, I am still only 3 months into ''the hobby'' so am soaking in everything I can. ;-) But yes, their website is horrific, and their customer service is very poor.

They also focus a lot on electric (although not nearly as much as RC Driver, IMO), but I understand there is a demand for it. I just wish I was in ''the hobby'' 10 years ago when it seems nitro was at its peak. Regardless, count me among those are a new and LOVE nitro - maybe it will make a big comeback! Guess I better stop before I open up a can of worms. Ha!

</p>
If HPI ever releases their new 1/8th scale gas engine that might be the end of nitro(well at least for bashers) seeing it looks like it bolts to any old 1/8th motor mount... That is depending on how it preforms though

As for RC Car action weren't they the ones that were making pointless somewhat controversial topics here with links to drive people to their site with watered down articles(which was hard to read due to piss poor layout)? a few months back I think it was
Old 03-24-2012, 08:14 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RCAA used to be great... now it's just one big ass Traxxas ad. They want you to go to their website because A) They ran out of room in the magazine due to ads, or B) They want to expose you to more ads.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I guess I can say I have been ''satisified'' with RC Car Action. I like their articles and actually enjoy the ads. Remember, guys, I am still only 3 months into ''the hobby'' so am soaking in everything I can. ;-) But yes, their website is horrific, and their customer service is very poor.

They also focus a lot on electric (although not nearly as much as RC Driver, IMO), but I understand there is a demand for it. I just wish I was in ''the hobby'' 10 years ago when it seems nitro was at its peak. Regardless, count me among those are a new and LOVE nitro - maybe it will make a big comeback! Guess I better stop before I open up a can of worms. Ha!

</p>
If HPI ever releases their new 1/8th scale gas engine that might be the end of nitro(well at least for bashers) seeing it looks like it bolts to any old 1/8th motor mount... That is depending on how it preforms though

As for RC Car action weren't they the ones that were making pointless somewhat controversial topics here with links to drive people to their site with watered down articles(which was hard to read due to piss poor layout)? a few months back I think it was
Doubtful. It's 9cc, if you look at the pictures, it takes up a TON Of real estate.

[link=http://www.himodel.com/engines/NGH_9CC_Petrol_Engine_for_Radio_Control_Aeroplane_ GT9.html]This[/link] is this same thing in it's airplane form, it's even appears to use some of the same parts.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:26 AM
suburban_hooligan

yes, Matt Higgins was the one behind that. but Matt no longer works for Car Action, he quit and is now doing his own thing and has his own website which i think he tried to advertise on here and the thread was ether locked or deleted.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry I ever subscribed to RCCA and I'm waiting for it to run out.  As many here have pointed out each issue is over crowded with ads.  On top of that I find many errors with grammar, quality of layout and sentences and paragraphs that stop half way and don't continue anywhere else.  Look at Car and Driver or Motor Trend, you rarely ever find an error in their magazines and the subscriptions are half the price!  How does RCCA charge so much?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:27 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: BKoz559
How does RCCA charge so much?
They're in it for the money.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

</p>
<span style="color: #ff0000">If HPI ever releases their new 1/8th scale gas engine that might be the end of nitro(well at least for bashers) seeing it looks like it bolts to any old 1/8th motor mount... That is depending on how it preforms though
</span>
I was saying that same thing to my friend as well as my wife. My Baja is so easy and cheap to run, yet still sounds cool. I would switch my Savage and 8ight to gasoline in a heartbeat.

-I hate those stupid barcode scans that are all over the RCCA. SOME of us still don't have (and don't ever plan to get) a smartphone.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

</p>
<span style=''color: #ff0000''>If HPI ever releases their new 1/8th scale gas engine that might be the end of nitro(well at least for bashers) seeing it looks like it bolts to any old 1/8th motor mount... That is depending on how it preforms though
</span>
I was saying that same thing to my friend as well as my wife. My Baja is so easy and cheap to run, yet still sounds cool. I would switch my Savage and 8ight to gasoline in a heartbeat.

-I hate those stupid barcode scans that are all over the RCCA. SOME of us still don't have (and don't ever plan to get) a smartphone.
Yea well your not missing out they usually lead to more adds....
Old 03-25-2012, 03:38 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Old 03-25-2012, 06:29 AM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

I don't buy their ''magazine'' as they are usually little more than advertisement booklets. Check out XRC mag instead, good stuff there!
Yeah XRC wa agood magazine in my opinion but they are now out of business. They also took my money in the process.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

I don't buy their ''magazine'' as they are usually little more than advertisement booklets. Check out XRC mag instead, good stuff there!
Yeah XRC wa agood magazine in my opinion but they are now out of business. They also took my money in the process.
RC Car was also a decent magazine. They, also, are no longer in business.

I'm not really sure how RCCA is still in business when, as many other people have noted, over half of the magazines are advertising.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, which RC periodicals are still in print besides RC Car Action? I remember RC Driver a while back but as others have noted they are now defunct. I thought I saw one called Extreme RC on a store shelf a while back, did I get the name right? If RCCA is all that's left then it's because of all the advertising revenue that they are able to survive.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM
suburban_hooligan

only 2 i know of are RC Car Action and RC Driver<div>and i think there's still a few that deal with flight and boats.</div>
Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 PM
quietnas1

So, which RC periodicals are still in print besides RC Car Action? I remember RC Driver a while back but as others have noted they are now defunct. I thought I saw one called Extreme RC on a store shelf a while back, did I get the name right? If RCCA is all that's left then it's because of all the advertising revenue that they are able to survive.
Yeah Extreme RC is XRC magazine which is no longer around.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

I was wondering why I couldn't find one. My wife got me an XRC magazine in Oct. 2011 and I've been trying to find a current one since then.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 AM
The Mad Modder

RC Car and XRC are no longer in business, RC Driver is still in business. RC Driver is better than RCCA, imo, but still not great.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

</p>
<span style=''color: #ff0000''>If HPI ever releases their new 1/8th scale gas engine that might be the end of nitro(well at least for bashers) seeing it looks like it bolts to any old 1/8th motor mount... That is depending on how it preforms though
</span>

i miss the days when those things never existed, i want the days when having a flip phone was the coolest thing ever.