Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Question about new RTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Cronniss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about new RTR

Now, I've read somewhere that when you get a new RC you should run the motor once before running the car (on- or off-road). The thing is, I can't remember if that was for electric, nitro, or both. Also, I can't remember where I read that at. (Gotta luv brain damage.)

Anyway, within the next couple of days I will be receiving my first RC - a Traxxas Bandit Extreme XL-5 (www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p). Now this RTR comes with a Traxxas (of course) Titan 550 12T brushed motor.

I've already read the manual that Traxxas has available online, but I did not see in there anything pertaining to a "burn-in" or "pre-" run. (Aside from radio setup, checking servo operation and a range test, that is.) Am I supposed to do some type of stress run on this once I have it up & running out of the box? (Like setting in a stand with wheels off the ground and let it "run free" for a time.)

Or is my damaged brain messing with me again? hehe

Edit: Corrected mistaken information concerning motor. Has no baring on following posts.<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question about new RTR

Engine break-in is only nessesary for nitro or gas engines. For electric motors you are good to go from the factory. And unless I'm mistaken the Traxxas XL-5 vehicles are all brushed not brushless.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Engine break-in is only nessesary for nitro or gas engines. For electric motors you are good to go from the factory. And unless I'm mistaken the Traxxas XL-5 vehicles are all brushed not brushless.
well there is a way to break in a brushed motor
generally take it out of the RC get a container filed with water
hook it up to something like a 1.5-3volts(I used D-cells), and let it run in the water for 5 minutes to get the brushes to fit the com nice.
Pull it out while its running to dry it off some, and spray the bushings or bearings ar the end with WD 40
Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...Syco is right, but don't waste your time with that motor, it won't last long no matter what you do. Run it til the motor gives up, then when it does, don't even bother changing the brushes, just get a cheap brushless aftermarket system and some lipos and never look back.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO its extremmly importsnt to run in a traxxas titan motors.... actially I cant stress it enough. there are gains of up to 20% in power to be made and u will end up with a more reliable motor... as we all know the titan is not the most reliable motor

The idea of running in the motor is to bed in the brushes for full contact to the communictor.

There are a few ways of doing this.... when the brushes are wearing in they leave a build up of material. some people run them in water to clear that build up away. but doing that u have to re oil the bearings. and some people use compressed air...

here is a very basic guid to running it in, water method
[link]http://www.rccartips.com/rc-electric-motor-tuning-guide.htm[/link]
Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Cronniss

<span style="font-family: Arial; ">Thanks for the info, guys! I really appreciate it! I recently ordered "</span><font face="Arial">The R/C Car Bible: How to build, tune and drive electric and nitro-powered radio control cars on and off-road" (www.amazon.com/gp/product/0760323984/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00) from Amazon.com. (Hopefully I'll be getting it within the next week.)

Oh, and I</font>have already gotten my 1st RC!
<font face="Arial">

I</font>also got a 2nd RC and it's a chopper!
<font face="Arial">

</font>
<font face="Arial">
Seriously, tho...my Traxxas Bandit comes home on Monday...hehe. (I</font>do have those, tho. They're fun, too. They can "battle" each other, the guy on the ATV will pop off when he's "killed", and the helicopter will do circles in the air &amp; slow down as it takes damage until it finally just drops out of the sky...hehe. Unfortunately, the chopper is indoors only &amp; the ATV needs a nice "smooth" surface to run on - so carpet it out of the question.)<font face="Arial"><br type="_moz" /></font>
Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Cronniss

Well, got my Bandit XL-5 today.<div>
</div><div>UPS was late, tho.  [:@]  They didn't come until I was cooking dinner...which meant to real play time with it.    (Why do they always do that with shipments that I'm excited about getting?)</div><div>
</div><div>So tomorrow I'll charge up the battery &amp; give 'er a run.  Maybe post a pic or vid of it.</div>