Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

turbine jet runway dimensions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

turbine jet runway dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Ragz

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default turbine jet runway dimensions

I am sure this has been discussed before, but can we just talk a bit more about this topic? If someone is getting a tarmac made to accomodate turbine jets, what should be its dimensions in order to ensure that all kinds of model jets can fly comfortably on them?
Old 02-06-2004, 08:13 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: turbine jet runway dimensions

Totally depends upon the skill level of the pilots. In my opinion 50'x800' is adequate, but 75' wide would be even better, and I have seen some folks that can't hit a 150' x 4000'!
Old 02-06-2004, 09:22 AM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Anurag,

Our field here is 490 ft x 50 ft wide and in South Florida we have about 55 Jetflyers not including the Miami guys that is a lot more guys than in Ft Lauderdale I think.

If you could make yourself a nice 500 long x 50 wide you're just fine,runway we have large 16's, Twin Rafale's, F-4's and the latest , Twin F-18's flying just fine at our field.
Now keep in mind that we have about 150 Acres surrounding our runway with no obsticles whatsoever. Sometimes you see a few run off the runway I've done it a lot but the grass is so very well trimmed that no harm is done + it makes you a better pilot if you learn to land in a spot where you have to actually concentrate for your landings.

Just my $0.02

Good Luck ................ Johnny Hernandez
Old 02-06-2004, 10:22 AM
diceman
My Feedback: (10)

Two things:
First - The length is dependent on the skill of the pilot and the type of aircraft. Some R/C jets can easily operate off of 500 feet. Others have a difficult time with 1000 feet.

Second - As important or maybe even more is the unrestricted overflight area. A safe minimum for jets would be 1700 to 2000 feet left and right of center (or more), and around 1200 feet in front of the pilot.

Unfortunately the AMA in the US still uses their old footprint for a flying site, and it hasn't been updated in a very long time. It is totally inadquate for jets and other high speed activities.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:46 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

don't forget altitude in the mix. 500 may be fine at florida, but a bit of an issue in colorado. we fly off a 50? x 800 feet up in waco. really provides a comfortable site.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The dimensions given in previous posts here are very good starting points and also as mentioned ARE dependent of the skill of the pilot(s) and the type of aircraft intended to be flown off this site.

In addition you need to consider the following as it WILL inpact the min. size as well:

A.- Elevation above sea level (MSL) of flying site, in association with, B.- Average Ambient temperature and C. Obstructions to approach or departure flight paths. (i.e. trees, fences, powerlines etc.)

Rule of thumb = The higher, the hotter the Longer the runway you will need.

Just food for thought.

Kerry S.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Anurag:

Check out the outstanding asphalt & grass field(also shows architectural plans for the whole field) that Gordon Dickens and his buddies have developed near Macon, Georgia.....makes me wish I didn't live 1000 miles away....

http://www.gajets.net/

Tom
Old 02-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Glorfindel

I fly my Y\A Stingray from a 12'x350 paved runway....It's too short lol Most of guys here told me that i'm a fool but you can do it... The prob is if you have a short runway you have to came slower, then you have to make your last turn furter, then the plane became smaller and more difficult to see....I think that an acceptable runway (paved) is about 500'x25
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 AM
RC0236

Hi Guys,

I am a member of a club that the members are getting interested in turbine jets,  We already have a couple of members with rather large and fast jets.

I don't have the details of their planes but our club is discussing the proper distance of the pilots stations to the runway.  Our runway is 48 ft by 500 ft and the pilots stations are 37 ft from the edge of the runway.

Can any of you tell me the distance your pilot stations are from the runway at your fields?  Tony Stillman, AMA Flying Site Assistance Coordinator, says that he recommends 5 to 10 feet from the runway.  That seems a bit close to me.  What do some of you think?

Thanks in advance,
Dallas Cravens  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new "runway" at our club field has been a real irritation to me. I am the only jet flyer in a club of approximately 125 members. A lot of foamy electric flyers and sport flyers. They proposed, voted on and approved a new runway that is 20' by 150'. I suggested that the $9K that was to be spent on this long driveway would be better spent improving our 400' by 90' grass strip. That of course fell on deaf ears and we blew the 9 grand. For my own reference, what are clubs paying for paved runways in the range of 400' by 50'? Maybe I'm out of touch with paving costs but $9K seems like a lot for what we got.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Square Nozzle

The new ''runway'' at our club field has been a real irritation to me. I am the only jet flyer in a club of approximately 125 members. A lot of foamy electric flyers and sport flyers. They proposed, voted on and approved a new runway that is 20' by 150'. I suggested that the $9K that was to be spent on this long driveway would be better spent improving our 400' by 90' grass strip. That of course fell on deaf ears and we blew the 9 grand. For my own reference, what are clubs paying for paved runways in the range of 400' by 50'? Maybe I'm out of touch with paving costs but $9K seems like a lot for what we got.
Was it a union job?

Probably could have saved money with petromat or at least got a little more length.

Marty
Old 05-11-2012, 07:48 PM
ddlstang

400' by 50' will cost you probably $25-30K, is dependant on the oil costs at the time also.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:05 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

he recommends 5 to 10 feet from the runway
I have flown at a lot of clubs, some paved and some grass. None have had pilot stations more than 10 feet from the runway
Old 05-12-2012, 06:32 AM
sidgates

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your quote would be a very good price in Denver area. Recent quotes I have seen were closer to $40,000 for that size.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:05 AM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Without someone being goofy with my statement. I think width is more important than length, safer as well since most jets have brakes and can be slowed down for slow landings. That's the one thing that worries me with ky jets is runway width with lights or grass on each side. Its all pilot skill on comfort dependent as stated above
Old 05-12-2012, 10:37 AM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

Our club field is 60x660, clear approaches make life easier, my 500ft runway in my back yard has a 50 ft obstacle to clear at one end and it seems like a carrier at times. video shows a clear idea of the area we have for flying.

http://youtu.be/t3nNT-t2w84
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45975.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1761791