Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Which one to review?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Which one to review?

might be interesting curious what the difference is over the RTR for the price
Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Well guys I went with the Savage XS SS kit. The RTR had been pretty controversial, but I've heard virtually nothing about the kit, so I went with it. For electronics I am going with a HW 60a ESC, 540 4 pole motor (not sure which one, but around 3000kv), Traxxas 2056 servo (had it in spare parts bin), and HK 3s 3600mah lipo for a battery. The thing should be crazy powerful and a whole lot of fun, not to mention how cool it's gonna look. I am teaming up with RPM to do an RPM based paint scheme, so it should look pretty sick! There will be a ten part build series of the kit, an unboxing of it at first, a review, a pros and cons video, a setup video, and an unboxing and review for each of the electronics (beside servo since used). It's going to make for a really fun and insanely capable kit, so be sure to follow us at modelkits! I haven't mentioned this yet but I will be getting an Axial XR10 at the end of July which will likely be done like the Savage, with content and all. The site is getting big quickly guys, so be sure to check it out. Let me know if anyone would be interested in writing for it or has any questions.
Might be woth looking for a better ESC dont think it will cut it for a 4poll 540 size motor on 3s.... my 2c worth
Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well it will be interesting seeing it tested at 3s as the stock rtr has issues with 3s. But I see your point is the hw any better than the stock esc?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:50 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: kistner

Well it will be interesting seeing it tested at 3s as the stock rtr has issues with 3s. But I see your point is the hw any better than the stock esc?
the stock RTR from what I seen by posts has issues with 2S

but yea might have to go up to an 80A for the ESC seeing the 4 pole motor is seen by ESC's as one 2X higher from what I read like the 3000kv 4pole would be seen as a 6000 to the ESC, and pull similar power. That would probably be fine on the 60A with 2S but not sure how it would work with 3S.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm going to be reviewing the ESC in addition to using it on the Savage build, so we'll find out here shortly. But I do have to disagree with y'all about it holding up. HobbyWing ESCs are tough in my experience. Picture this: I ran a HW 25a ESC (everyone said that it would catch fire very quickly) paired with a EZrun 9t motor and it worked/works fine. The best part is that the ESC has a rated limit of a 12t, and the motor I run is a 9t. Plus, I've run it repeatedly on 3s, and it never gets over 130 degrees. Trust me, 60a will be plenty. The stock SideWinder had problems because it was only a 45a, but I think the additional 15a will make a big difference. Plus, I'll probably gear it a little low.

On another note, I have not had a chance to test that $10 ESC for you yet, Syco Venom. Sorry bout that, but it will be done sooner or later (now I've got this Savage build on my plate, so probably later). It will be done by the end of the summer, though, because I plan to use it on my XR10 build. I would test it today if I could, but I'm about 450 miles away from any of my RCs at this point, so yeah...
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Well guys I went with the Savage XS SS kit. The RTR had been pretty controversial, but I've heard virtually nothing about the kit, so I went with it. For electronics I am going with a HW 60a ESC, 540 4 pole motor (not sure which one, but around 3000kv), Traxxas 2056 servo (had it in spare parts bin), and HK 3s 3600mah lipo for a battery. The thing should be crazy powerful and a whole lot of fun, not to mention how cool it's gonna look. I am teaming up with RPM to do an RPM based paint scheme, so it should look pretty sick! There will be a ten part build series of the kit, an unboxing of it at first, a review, a pros and cons video, a setup video, and an unboxing and review for each of the electronics (beside servo since used). It's going to make for a really fun and insanely capable kit, so be sure to follow us at modelkits! I haven't mentioned this yet but I will be getting an Axial XR10 at the end of July which will likely be done like the Savage, with content and all. The site is getting big quickly guys, so be sure to check it out. Let me know if anyone would be interested in writing for it or has any questions.
Might be woth looking for a better ESC dont think it will cut it for a 4poll 540 size motor on 3s.... my 2c worth
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Well, I'm going to be reviewing the ESC in addition to using it on the Savage build, so we'll find out here shortly. But I do have to disagree with y'all about it holding up. HobbyWing ESCs are tough in my experience. Picture this: I ran a HW 25a ESC (everyone said that it would catch fire very quickly) paired with a EZrun 9t motor and it worked/works fine. The best part is that the ESC has a rated limit of a 12t, and the motor I run is a 9t. Plus, I've run it repeatedly on 3s, and it never gets over 130 degrees. Trust me, 60a will be plenty. The stock SideWinder had problems because it was only a 45a, but I think the additional 15a will make a big difference. Plus, I'll probably gear it a little low.

On another note, I have not had a chance to test that $10 ESC for you yet, Syco Venom. Sorry bout that, but it will be done sooner or later (now I've got this Savage build on my plate, so probably later). It will be done by the end of the summer, though, because I plan to use it on my XR10 build. I would test it today if I could, but I'm about 450 miles away from any of my RCs at this point, so yeah...
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

seriously the sidewinders 45A's??? I know its hard(almost impossible) to find CC's amp ratings kinda see why If that's true though yea the 65A HW should work fine I thought the sidewinder was 65A's I shouldn't be surprised though seeing the MM is only 120A.

Also kinda forgot about the $10 ESC lol thanks for reminding me
Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought the sidewinder was 65A's
I heard that too.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:21 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally think the only reason that 25a ESC has lasted is because the setup it's on pulls hardly any amps. Correct me if I'm wrong is it still on a 2wd under geared bandit with skinny tyres? Change the gearing to a 23 pinion with a 86t spur, and chuck on some monster truck wheels with high grip. Then u might see some problems. u have seen my slash, it can pull 86a on take off, that's 4a off the 25a ESC rating. With stock SCT wheels and 2wd.

People on this forum have been over heating the 35a ESC on there 4x4 slashes, and now the norm is to run a 60a ESC, now that's only with a 380 cored motor...

From what ive been reading a 380 core brushless motor is comparable to a Tamiya brushed black can motor....

So I'm assuming u are planing to run a 4 poll motor so it can be over geared right? A over geared savage would have to pul some serious amps with its high grip 4x4 and tyres
Im guessing it will be geared lower than the RTR so it will have the same speed?
In short I don't think u will be able to get a mentall setup with out heat issues, maby a conservative set will be ok

Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

wow sidewinders are 45Amps if they have a fan, and 35 without... The HW ESC's normal rating are almost the same as the CC's burst [X(]

here's a list I found of the majority of CC ESC's and currant ratings
http://www.castlespecialprojects.com...ntrollers.html

it doesn't have the SV2 which people suspect is around 55-60A
Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 PM
thehuntingterminator

Told ya. This is the exact reason why I have yet to touch a Castle product in the 3-4 years that I've been into hobby grade RC. Very expensive and in some cases (as in this one with the ESCs) the cheaper stuff is just as good, and a much better value. Sure, I would like to have one of Castle's 4 poles, but I just don't have that kind of cash lying around. See, the SV2 handles Castle's 3800kv 4 pole, and is roughly 60a, I figure my HW 60a can handle the motor I picked out. I will be running a HW 60a ESC with a GForce 2800kv 4 pole, which shouldn't be quite as big of drain since it's a lower kv. Running that combo on 3s should get me some insane power. I'm hoping for standing backflips, but that's a lot to ask for. Anyone have an ideas on gearing?
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

wow sidewinders are 45Amps if they have a fan, and 35 without... The HW ESC's normal rating are almost the same as the CC's burst [X(]

Old 06-14-2012, 08:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Told ya. This is the exact reason why I have yet to touch a Castle product in the 3-4 years that I've been into hobby grade RC. Very expensive and in some cases (as in this one with the ESCs) the cheaper stuff is just as good, and a much better value. Sure, I would like to have one of Castle's 4 poles, but I just don't have that kind of cash lying around. See, the SV2 handles Castle's 3800kv 4 pole, and is roughly 60a, I figure my HW 60a can handle the motor I picked out. I will be running a HW 60a ESC with a GForce 2800kv 4 pole, which shouldn't be quite as big of drain since it's a lower kv. Running that combo on 3s should get me some insane power. I'm hoping for standing backflips, but that's a lot to ask for. Anyone have an ideas on gearing?

You aren't missing much I own a MM and honestly I didn't see what everyone loved about them I bought mine cause of all the praise I seen sung about them on the boards, and how people always told me I didn't know what I was missing. I still don't know what I was missing, I hated mine and regretted it till I threw it in a truggy I bought for it so I wouldn't feel like I completely wasted cash on it(also had to buy a radio for it cause it doesn't work with every raidio...). Only thing it has is you can do some fine tuning on a PC which honestly might be useful if you are a racer trying to shave that 1/10th of a second off your lap, but strictly speaking as a basher I found it cumbersome, and annoying to deal with.

Castle says the SV2 is 40% more powerful than the sidewinder... thing is they don't say if its the one with or without the fan so it could be anywhere from 49A's to 63A's... That's if they are telling the truth which honestly IMO castle isn't good for due to how they obscure their ESC ratings.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 PM
thehuntingterminator

Yep. Everyone says that it's stupid of me to waste my cash on Chinese stuff, but heck, if it works and is inexpensive, who cares where it's made! I am dying to get back to my RCs, which won't be until Sunday evening, and even then I've got other stuff to do before the week starts. My Savage should be here Monday, though, so it'll be ok I guess

I own a MM and honestly I didn't see what everyone loved about them. Actually I hated mine and regretted it till I threw it in my truggy(actually bought the truggy for it so I wouldn't feel like I wasted cash).

Castle says the SV2 is 40% more powerful than the sidewinder... thing is they don't say if its the one with or without the fan so it could be anywhere from 49A's to 63A's... That's if they are telling the truth which honestly IMO castle isn't good for due to how they obscure their ESC ratings.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

damn you read that fast I went back and added a bit more
What happens when I'm half asleep I forgot to type half of what I wanted [:@]
Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 PM
thehuntingterminator

Haha, well I have nothing to do right now anyways so I figured I spend a little time on here. Hey I have an ECX Boost in great condition that I simply got to review. It has under 10 runs and I have everything that came new in box (inlcuding the box!). I know that you had been in touch with a lot of people who are new to the hobby, and this is perfect for them, so I thought I'd let you know. I'm asking $55 with DC quick charger. Are you interested?

damn you read that fast I went back and added a bit more
What happens when I'm half asleep I forgot to type half of what I wanted [:@]