Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

1/8 Flux HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:35 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 Flux HP

So my father inlaw is loving the looks of the Flux HP. Our local hobby shop has it ready to run (w/o batteries) for $550. What are some owners opinions on this truck and what batteries do you run? He will obviously run lipo, but he wants 4 2s lipos, I would assume 30c or more, and atleast 5000mah. I told him a lot of people on here swear by the lipos hobbyking has. What names of the lipos are the most reliable, like Turnigy and such? And what discharge rate do you recommend for the big 1/8 Flux? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 Flux HP

5000mAh, 30c and up. I try to get 40C when I can. For 6S I use these in pairs...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._3S1P_40C.html

I don't do 4S on the Savage.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 AM
cumminspower5.9

LOL well my father inlaw is a total noob in the hobby. Read my latest post in the Flux XS thread. But I suggested to him 4s max till he gets the feel of a behemoth rc that has lots of power till he goes to 5 or 6s. Him starting on 6s lipo would be like letting a 4 year old drive a Peterbuilt lol
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

He may find 4s is just fine with him, based on what you have said about him in the past.  $550 is a great price for the Flux HP, I see nothing wrong with picking up that deal.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 AM
cumminspower5.9

Thats what I keep telling him. He is a little sketchy about it tho. He lost his job back in December and just luckily got another extension and hasn't yet found a job. He just isn't sure if it is a good choice right now. tho I keep badgering him every day. The other day i left his house, and left on his computer monitor, the Flux HP review by bigsquidrc.com lol
Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well my father in-law bought the Flux HP. Man is this thing a beast in person. I love how well built and durable it looks. and the purple aluminum! missed that from my old savage .21 nitro. he bought batteries, and will be running on 6s lol. he is a noob so we will see how this goes.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 AM
Foxy

Go down to an 18t pinion maximum for 6S, and tighten the slipper ALL the way. If you don't, it will burn in seconds. Of course that then means that you will have to be very careful with the drivetrain (avoid throttle landings and backflips). Once he starts getting his confidence up and launching it in the air, the wheels will start falling off (yeh, really). There are a million solutions to that, but the 2 best are:

1) use 17mm buggy hubs somehow.

2) Insert the alloy hexes in the wheels, drill through the hex into the wheel and use a pin to unite the wheel with the hex permanently.

To be completely honest, 6S is going to be a whole lot of trouble (I can tell you from experience, it took me over $200 to get it 6s reliable). You will not drain two pairs of packs without needing to maintain, replace or tighten something in stock form. Here's a great vid on making hte truck mostly bashproof...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pynm-2MAmc4
Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 AM
cumminspower5.9

LOL.  well considering he spent $700 on the truck and 4 batteries, I doubt he will want to put about $200 into it to make it durable on 6s. i told him to stick with 4s or he will break things. but to be honest, I think he needs to find out on his own. I explained to him the results of *****g out an rc at almost 24 volts. he is bringing 2 batteries back because they gave him traxxas connectors and venom connectors to fit the deans, but they dont fit right. i should tell him to grab 2s batteries in exchange for the 3s.</p>
Old 07-20-2012, 04:28 AM
Foxy

Some people just won't be told. Me included, lol.

There's a lot to be said for cutting and fitting your own plug, you freshen up the solder, and you know it was a good soldering job. A bad soldering job can be the end of the RC if it gets hot, melts, shorts and the battery burns in the car, which is why I always, without fail, resolder the Chinese packs.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well I'm going to be running my Flux XS on a 2s lipo and see if the trucks match up with his on 6s. I believe his would be a bit faster, but if I threw a 3s in mine, I would pass him easily I think. I've got the agility and quickness, his is just a heavy behemoth lol. Should be interesting.</p>
Old 07-20-2012, 04:53 AM
Foxy

His 4S to your 2S... he will leave you standing, but you will eventually overtake. His 6S to your 3S, he will leave you standing in a cloud of dust and you simply won't see him again lol.

Have you ever tried a 1/8th (even an MT) on 6S? It is absolutely, unequivocably, mind-blowingly brutal power.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:15 AM
cumminspower5.9

I've never even tried an RC on a 3s lipo, so to be honest I have no clue what that is even like. I was just guessing the whole power:weight. The box for the Flux HP says 62mph on 6s? The Flux XS reaches that on 3s. It will definitely be a sight to see. So I think in the end, they will be close with top speed, but torque and noob throttle control will help me lol. </p>
Old 07-20-2012, 05:22 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

I'm looking forward to hearing how much he tears it up on 6s. Ha!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:31 AM
cumminspower5.9

I've never even tried an RC on a 3s lipo, so to be honest I have no clue what that is even like. I was just guessing the whole power:weight. The box for the Flux HP says 62mph on 6s? The Flux XS reaches that on 3s. It will definitely be a sight to see. So I think in the end, they will be close with top speed, but torque and noob throttle control will help me lol. </p>
Old 07-20-2012, 06:54 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well I will keep you all posted as to what happens...or doesn't happen lol. Hopefully things go well as he should be easy on the throttle for a while.</p>
Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 AM
thehuntingterminator

Yeah as long as he's real easy on the throttle, he'll be ok for the most part, but he is running 6s... So he's gonna break stuff! Let us know how he likes it.
ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Well I will keep you all posted as to what happens...or doesn't happen lol. Hopefully things go well as he should be easy on the throttle for a while.</p>
Old 07-22-2012, 05:11 PM
cumminspower5.9

Well the first run was yesterday on 6s. Holy cow this thing has insane power!! Barely hit the throttle and this thing goes. He loves the instant power! He wants to know what parts break the most tho? He wants to stock up so he doesn't have to deal with downtime
Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well the first run was yesterday on 6s. Holy cow this thing has insane power!! Barely hit the throttle and this thing goes. He loves the instant power! He wants to know what parts break the most tho? He wants to stock up so he doesn't have to deal with downtime
on 6S virtually everything will break on a savage(and most other RC's)
Seeing he's using 6S he might want to make sure he pays attention to the dog bones/drive shafts to see when they are starting to twist, rims, body posts, bodies(from when it flips, and skids 25 feet on the lid), TVP's (not sure if they fixed them), diffs if not shimmed properly, and I had issues with the rear linkage personally falling apart (this was on 4S). Those parts will break on 4S but its no where near as hard on them though so they last longer.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Foxy

He should get a couple of differential rebuild kits, apart from that, the HD drive gear is absolutely essential, even for 4s. After that, it'll be drive cups and dogbones. And of course whatever gets broke from crashing.

Tell him to watch that 'bashproof your savage' video, it could save him a lot of trouble (I linked it in an earlier post).
Old 07-23-2012, 04:39 AM
cumminspower5.9

I'll show him the video. The only thing I can think of that would take most of the abuse is the drive cups and dog bones. And of course spur/pinion, diff. gears. I'll keep him informed tho. He is out of town and he said he had some time and space to run the truck, and i very happy with the power it has. Tho he had an issue with the slipper. I told him to tighten the slipper nut down all the way. But he's one of those "go by the book" kind of guys.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 AM
cumminspower5.9

Also, the 4 way wrench that was supplied with the truck does not even fit the wheel nuts? whats with that??
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Foxy

If he doesn't tighten the slipper all the way down, he'll be peeling molten slipper off the spur gear and related assembly very soon.

Also, you still haven't really acknowledged what I said about the HD drive gear, it should have been bought with the truck, it is a MAJOR weak component and when it dies it will take out the rest of the gearbox. Mine didn't last 3 pairs of packs on 4S let alone 6S. When I took it out to change it, it was just about to give, less than half a mm tooth thickness after only 4S on stock electrics. Don't delay this, more than any other piece of advice, this is the critical one. If you wait til it goes (and it won't be long, I promise), you'll really regret it. Git r done!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ve-Gear-18-23T
Old 07-23-2012, 05:38 AM
cumminspower5.9

I will let him know of all this, including the HD drive gear, and have him watch the video, and see what he wants to do.