Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

good cam for slow mo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default good cam for slow mo?

I have made a few decent (i think) rc videos. I have a flip mino HD camera.
It does OK.

But if I try to do 50% speed the quality goes way down. Gets all blurry.

So, can anyone name a camera that will do what the mino HD does, plus have enough FPS that when I slow it down in my video software it still looks good.

Oh, and the challanging part, I cant spend more than $100. Used is fine, doenst have to be new.

Heres what my cam can do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx5SNfUBDb0

Heres what I want to do: (this is one of my fav tamiya vids!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twCjvadaMOU
Old 09-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: good cam for slow mo?

You want a Casio Exilim FH20 or maybe the ZR10, but that's usually more expensive. You could get lucky on ebay and find one for about 100 bucks, but expect to spend at least 200.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Foxy

You want a Casio Exilim FH20 or maybe the ZR10, but that's usually more expensive. You could get lucky on ebay and find one for about 100 bucks, but expect to spend at least 200.
yeh, cant bring myself to spend that kinda money.

the FPS spec is what relates most to what I want right? I think my mino does 30-60 FPS.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how cool is this.... check out his other vids too

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_wJgYWM79I[/youtube]
Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

thats what I would love to do. thats slowed down more than 50% and still has high quality. But as foxy said is probly a matter of spending alot of $ on a good camera.

I have wondered if the free video editing software is partly to blame as well. I mean, its free, so it cant be top notch. Its called Video Pad. Better than most free ones I tried tho.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I have wondered if the free video editing software is partly to blame as well. I mean, its free, so it cant be top notch. Its called Video Pad. Better than most free ones I tried tho.
Probably. You would be better off getting some decent video editing software before you got a good camera for slow mo but like you said you don't want to spend the money.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Foxy

the FPS spec is what relates most to what I want right? I think my mino does 30-60 FPS.
You're outta luck then I'm afraid, these are the cheapest cameras that can do what you want to do, by a wide margin. Other cameras that can do those kind of speeds are over 500. Yes, the FPS is what counts, and of course it has to do it at the resolution you want...as you increase speed, you decrease resolution. It's the speed of the internal hardware that dictates how fast a camera can shoot, plus the speed of the storage device. Since we all know from our desktop computers...speed costs, how fast do you want to go? If you could get a FH20 for $150, you should jump all over it. Believe me if I see it first, I will!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

You're outta luck then I'm afraid, these are the cheapest cameras that can do what you want to do, by a wide margin. Other cameras that can do those kind of speeds are over 500. Yes, the FPS is what counts, and of course it has to do it at the resolution you want...as you increase speed, you decrease resolution. It's the speed of the internal hardware that dictates how fast a camera can shoot, plus the speed of the storage device. Since we all know from our desktop computers...speed costs, how fast do you want to go? If you could get a FH20 for $150, you should jump all over it. Believe me if I see it first, I will!
I wondered about the card's capabilities. I had a gopro for awhile, and while the quality was better than the mino HD, it wasnt as great as I expected. But I got mine used with no card, and used a $20 card I go from walmart. I wondered if maybe the card couldnt record as fast as the camera could, as when I slowed down footage it wasnt as clear as I thought it should be (compared to other youtube vids with gopro cams)

Maybe I will look into software 1st.

Any suggestions for software, perferable not over $100?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Foxy

I have no clue about software buddy, sorry.