Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

differential braking with gyro - possible?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

differential braking with gyro - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default differential braking with gyro - possible?

Daydreaming this AM about a gyro driven differential braking system.

I would think this is possible but certainly involved and likely not necessary most of the time but...

Since I have weatronic receiver, I have gyro available and many servo outputs. I don't know though that the servo/electronic air valve could react fast enough generate the desired effect?

Has anyone done this successfully? I usually lube the brakes etc just as always to try and get the desired straight braking and this does work pretty well. But we all see the spin outs at the events and it would be great to evolve a bit if possible. I am mostly interested in air systems while it might be easier when considering electronic braking systems.

My thought would be;
1. two brake valves, separate piping to each main wheel.
2. brake channel then has to be tied to yaw axis gyro with a two servo output - have not tried that yet....

Am I crazy?

Thanks

Dave
Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: differential braking with gyro - possible?

Hi Dave
Actually some of us at SVF have talked about this very topic many times but never tried it. It would be a great asset to some big scale prop planes like a ME 109 , Spitfire or FW 190. I wonder if the brakes would react as fast as the gyro telling them what to do?
Vin...
Old 10-21-2012, 03:01 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I will post a picture when it is ready for testing.

gyro to a servo with a full arm, UP6 hooked up to the left side servo arm and a UP6 hooked up to the right side of the servo arm. We are only looking for a little drag, not a parking brake.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM
ddennison

I thought aout that but since you need to put soem brake on both wheels, I figured two servos so that you can apply some on each side and then have the gyro adjust.

This would also allow the full use of brakes for startup and hold etc.

DD
Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 235 Likes on 122 Posts

I have often wondered the same as well.. It definitely would make some of those more challenging projects with odd nose gear easier to do!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:56 PM
ddennison

I am working on a setup as well, just waiting for my latest gear to arrive....

Fortunately my next project is a hawk and I think there is room for this setup in the plane.

Dave
Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM
AMA234
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay. I have no experience fiddling around with this but could someone please explain the benefits of having a gyro? I mean regardless you will need two servos, two valves and separate plumbing to each wheel. Why not just mix the two servos so one only actuates in one direction and the other servo in the opposite direction? Just wondering. I saw this post and thought it was really interesting. I too have thought about the differential braking and how cool it would be as opposed to nose wheel steering but never gave it much more thought.
Thanks,
Les
Old 10-23-2012, 01:42 PM
ddennison

The mixing alone (one full arm with two valves) will adjust side to side but wil not allow complete Brake or no-Brake.
This is why I think you need two servos, two valves and then a mix with the gyro. The gyro can be set to contol the yaw axis (mixing the inputs to each brake servo) so that the brakes can be applied/released on either wheel to help come to a straight stop.

Does that help?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds very interesting apart from the amount of kit you would need in the plane. If however the gyro could not react quick enough would you not finish up with a sort of 'bounce' but from side to side which could make matters worse. The best solution to even braking is to have the brake on the nose wheel if possible
Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This conversation with Tony Quist and a few of us at SVF has to do more with controlling an unruley ME-109 or FW 190 tail dragger on take off rather than a jet on landing. Tony is looking to use a gyro to help keep a big scale tail dragger heading straight with a little brake drag on which ever side needs it during the take off run.
Vin...