Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Please ID this chassis for me

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Please ID this chassis for me

Just got this off ebay.

Im not certain what chassis it is. I think its a tamiya hilux or simillar. That is the 3 speed trans right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41619.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1817356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25083.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1817357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19226.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1817358  
Old 11-03-2012, 05:01 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Please ID this chassis for me

thats a Vintage Tamiya Toyota Hilux 4x4
the bumper gave it away

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HCbalUO0iM[/youtube]
Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

thanx

did some google searching and came up with the same.

I "know" of the hilux but there were a few versions. And I never looked into them in detail cause they are so darn expensive.

Whether its and original or a re-release, its out of my price range.

I just bought this chassis (only whats show in pics) for $75 shipped.

I dont know if its worth more than that...but thats gotta be a great price. As long as the 3 speed trans and axles are in working order I will be very excited to get a body/electronics and make it RTR.

Not sure on how to do a radio for the 3 speed tho. Does the throttle channel control the shift change, or do I need a 3 channel radio with a 3 position switch?

also, any ideas whats with the white crap on the trans case? I dont see it in any pics of other hilux's. I hope its something I can get off.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:19 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice find

Its just sealent (that white stuff), So make sure u check it out, I dare say its been under water a few times

wouldent have a clue about getting the 3 speed working, once u have it, u should be able to sus that out
Old 11-03-2012, 05:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Nice find

Its just sealent (that white stuff), So make sure u check it out, I dare say its been under water a few times

wouldent have a clue about getting the 3 speed working, once u have it, u should be able to sus that out
I just found a pic of a vintage, never run hilux that has the sealant on the trans. The other pics I had seen must have been later models.

Shoot, I just seen a hilux trans on ebay for $100. Granted, its new, but I still think I got a sweet deal. The ad was listed just a few minutes before I bought it.

Im getting kinda pumped about this truck. Granted, it probly has seen some water (seller said bumpers have some rust) but as long as the axles and trans function Ill be happy. Im sure I will have to tear it all down...probly replace all the bearings and grease everything. But that could be a fun project for the winter.

Ive had a few crawlers but never a leafspring truck.

On ebay right now are a few vintage hilux's for over $1000. I thought that was crazy, but then a new unpainted hilux body is almost $200!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy ****... $75? Buy it Now, I presume? Clean it up and it'll sell for upwards of $500.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Holy ****... $75? Buy it Now, I presume? Clean it up and it'll sell for upwards of $500.
yeh, I dont know about $500.

I have been thinking over whether I will fix it up for myself...or part it out.

I figure Id get the most by selling the axles, chassis, trans sepertely.

It was a Buy it Now, and I got it 5 minutes after it was listed[8D]

My search method on ebay pays off once again. I got a ARR nitro rustler BIN for $65...as well as a parts lot which included a Wheely King roller for $52 (both prices included shipping!)

There is alot of stuff going up for sale this time of year. If you know how to shop, you can get some good deals.

But there is always risk. I mean I could get the hilux chassis and find that the trans or axles are all messed up. It was pulled out of a garage and put up for sale. No promises as to the condition were made. But based on the pics I think Ill be OK. Maybe needing new bearings, but that wont cost to much to replace.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I was looking at SOLD listings on ebay.

vintage axles go for $100 a piece.

The trans go for about the same

$70 for the front bumper

I didnt see any sold listings for just the chassis or the wheels/tires, but thats probly another $75 or so.

So I could get $300-$350 or so by parting it out (after ebay/shipping/paypal fees)

Thats tempting to do. But its equally tempting to fix it up for myself. I mean, when will I ever find another one for that price?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

$70 for the front bumper

I didnt see any sold listings for just the chassis or the wheels/tires, but thats probly another $75 or so.

So I could get $30-$150 or so by parting it out (after ebay/shipping/paypal fees)

Thats tempting to do. But its equally tempting to fix it up for myself. I mean, when will I ever find another one for that price?
Assuming it's in decent shape, $75 was a steal. It would be a bit pricey to get it fixed, but it is, imo, one of Tamiya's coolest trucks. It's very realistic with its metal axles and locking hubs.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

$70 for the front bumper

So I could get $30-$150 or so by parting it out (after ebay/shipping/paypal fees)

Assuming it's in decent shape, $75 was a steal. It would be a bit pricey to get it fixed, but it is, imo, one of Tamiya's coolest trucks. It's very realistic with its metal axles and locking hubs.
with the scaler craze today, why no one else has manual locking front hubs is beyond me. The 3 speed trans is cool, but for me the locking hubs are even cooler. Just like the ones my dad's '85 dodge ram had!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

The hilux showed up today.

Its a bit rougher than I had hoped. Still worth more than I paid tho.

The stock motor is dead. Turning the rear wheels by hand and moving the shift lever I can get it into all 3 speeds. Was a bit rough at 1st....but then I put a few drops of oil in each oiling hole and now its fairly smooth!

There is some rust on a few bits.

One rear hub is damaged. Where the hub is supposed to touch the driveshaft is stripped (like having the hex of your 12mm wheel stripped out)
So I will have to find one of those.

Other than that the driveline seems 100%

The steering linkage is all there as well.

The wheels are good....but the tires not so much. Only 1 tire is still usable. The others are all rotted and ripped.

I have decided that I will be selling it. Not sure if I will put it up as a whole, or part it out. If it were summer time (when I usually have more money on hand) then I would fix it up..install new tires and electronics and a lexan body and run it.

It is cool to hold one of these beauties in my hands tho. to feel the weight, to see the detail up close. My respect for tamiya just went up 10 fold. To think they had something like this in '82! With slightly updated electronics this truck would still be top notch today. No need to change the chassis/driveline.