Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Good budget lipo charger???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good budget lipo charger???

Getting back into the hobby and have been reading and reading (to point where my girlfriend is quite annoyed with me) to bring myself back up to speed after a 20 year hiatus. Anyway after LOTS of reading I'm fairly confident with what motor, esc, batteries etc I will be getting for my rc8te. Was ready to pull the trigger on some purchases tonight and thought a charger was going to be a no brainer....man was I wrong!

So was planning on this charger http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.htmlbut am confused. Can it charge 3s beyond 5000 mah?

Looking for a descent charger <$80, built in power supply, can charge up to 3s5500mah relatively quickly that preferably ships from the states. Can the Thunder AC680 do this?

Was also looking at the onyx 235 & 245, could either charge 3s to 5500 mah on AC?

Soooo many chargers any help on picking one woudl be grreat!</p>
Old 11-07-2012, 03:33 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Good budget lipo charger???

Any charger will charge above 5500 mah (even if it says 5000 mah max capacity), it may just take longer or have to do it twice. Imop none of those 3 chargers are "relatively quick" , but the Onyx 235 on DC power would be fastest. I have modded one to run 8 amps and 70 watts on AC power. It takes a bit of work and will void the warranty of course.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy has the previous model of that charger.  It's a good budget unit. It'll work for ya just fine.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont reccomend chargers with bilt in power supplys, if it fails u cant replace it, thats why is externail power supplys, and im allready on my 2nd power supply in 6 years.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thunder AC6 is $45 and will balance charge a 3s 5000mah lipo in a tick over 1 hour.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:48 PM
big JC

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I dont reccomend chargers with bilt in power supplys, if it fails u cant replace it, thats why is externail power supplys, and im allready on my 2nd power supply in 6 years.

<br type="_moz" />
Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM
big JC

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

thunder AC6 is $45 and will balance charge a 3s 5000mah lipo in a tick over 1 hour.

<br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; " /><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">Hey</span>man<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">thanks, that in a</span>nut<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">shell was the info I needed to know. Not ready to spend a lot on a higher end charger just yet, although after much more reading might just go ahead and get an icharger. LOTS of chargers on the market, makes it difficult for a newb to choose wisely</span><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; " /><br type="_moz" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; " />
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: big JC

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

<br style=''font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; '' /><span style=''font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ''>Hey </span>man<span style=''font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ''> thanks, that in a </span>nut<span style=''font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ''> shell was the info I needed to know. Not ready to spend a lot on a higher end charger just yet, although after much more reading might just go ahead and get an icharger. LOTS of chargers on the market, makes it difficult for a newb to choose wisely</span><br style=''font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; '' /><br type=''_moz'' style=''font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; '' />
ive had the imex b6, and now the thunder ac6. Both have worked well. Only issue I had was with the imex, it didnt like to charge nimh packs. I had to charge at very low amps. But the thunder works well with nimh and lipos. A fully drained 3s 5000mah is probly 1:20 to balance charge. could be just charged in less time. But I always balance charge my lipos.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 PM
big JC

Well I found a super deal (not much more than the ac680) on a Hyperion EOS i720 NET3 AC/DC charger<! google_ad_section_end >  so I went with that