Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Spinner adapter for a dle30

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinner adapter for a dle30

Hi,

I am preparing equipment for my next build which will be a 30cc with a dle. I and trying to figure out how a 3" spinner fits onto the dle 30 considering there is no centre bold for the adapter. I will be ordering the spinner (3" Truturn wideblade from Tower) soon and want to order the adapter along with. Can someone explain this to me

Ameyam
Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Spinner adapter for a dle30

Every prop hub nut that I have seen on any DLE engine has had a 5 MM threaded hole in the end for a spinner bolt, If by chance your's does not a local machine shop can fix it W/O much trouble.
PS a pic would really help out here.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM
ameyam

No, this will be a new standard spinner, I just need to know how to install it.

As I understand, the centre bolt / shaft in the dle 30 is only there for centering and alignment? I would use a drill jig to drill out the prop hub and the spinner backplate, then install the backplate and prop between the washer and the main engine hub and secure these in place with 4x4mm hex bolts that screw into the hub. Then get a suitably long 5mm hex bolt and screw that through the spinner cone into the hole in the crank. Is that correct?

Ameyam
Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You do not need an adapter. The shaft that the prop slides onto is threaded down the center. You just use the appropriate bolt through the center of the spinner, threading into the center of the stud. Very easy. When ordering your spinner from Tru turn, ask for the appropriate bolt.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 AM
ameyam

I figured that out, but the specified spinner come with a 10-32 bolt whereas the DLE30 required 5mm bolt. I can take a 5mm bolt locally provided the head sits flush with that socket in the spinner cone. If I am not mistaken, 10-32 is smaller, my concern is that the head will project out of the cone

Ameyam
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.sdshobby.net/2-blades-3-7...l#.UP1h3XLnapo
You can look at the pictures of this one and it has the specs of the center bolt. Tru turn is a much better spinner though. And they are made right down the street from me.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

TT spinners are very nice as are the people that make them.

I contacted them asking for a price to replace just the cone of a spinner that I had crushed in a crash. They just mailed me a whole new spinner.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 AM
pilotpete2

One other consideration would be to get the single bolt adapter for the DLE 30, problem solved
Pete
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 AM
vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

One other consideration would be to get the single bolt adapter for the DLE 30, problem solved
Pete
Not really. Then you have the same thing. Why not get a bolt from Tru turn? Then you know it will match the holein the spinner. Granted, you could measure it and find one on line somewhere. Regardless, this is an easy issue to solve.

I really like my single bolt prop adapter. But you still need the same bolt to attach your spinner. This just eliminates having to drill the 4 holes in your prop. It takes a little effort to install as well. Not only that, it will move your spinner out about 3/16" from the cowl ring.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM
pilotpete2

Nope, the single bolt adapter does eliminate the problem. TT also makes the correct prop nut for any size prop shaft, Metric or SAE that is drilled for the standard TT spinner screw. You just order the correct hardware for your particular engine and you're good to go[8D]
Yup, when I do get a DLE 30, I'll be ordering the adapter also. I just wish they made the engine with a single (replaceable) prop bolt. Safer than the multi bolts in my book. Too loose on the multiple bolts and they can shear off without warning. Too loose an a single bolt prop system and the prop can slip. Much better in my book, since I don't ever plan on going over the 30cc class, welll maybe the DLE 35cc rear exhaust
Pete
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM
vertical grimmace

Nope, the single bolt adapter does eliminate the problem. TT also makes the correct prop nut for any size prop shaft, Metric or SAE that is drilled for the standard TT spinner screw. You just order the correct hardware for your particular engine and you're good to go[8D]
Yup, when I do get a DLE 30, I'll be ordering the adapter also. I just wish they made the engine with a single (replaceable) prop bolt. Safer than the multi bolts in my book. Too loose on the multiple bolts and they can shear off without warning. Too loose an a single bolt prop system and the prop can slip. Much better in my book, since I don't ever plan on going over the 30cc class, welll maybe the DLE 35cc rear exhaust
Pete
I think you are confused about this issue. I own 3 DLE engines, and have a single bolt adapter for my DL50. The Single bolt adapter has nothing to do with mounting a spinner.

But, whatever!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM
pilotpete2

Are you running any of your DLE's with a multi prop bolt setup?? I don't see a 5mm spinner bolt listed from TT for this purpose.
The hardware TT sells for the DLE 30 is for use with the single bolt conversion, not the with the stock multi bolt setup.
When you factor in having to pay TT 10 bucks to custom drill the backplate and provide the correct bushing so the spinner runs true with the multi bolt setup, I think the using the single bolt prop adapter makes things easier, that's all
Pete
Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 PM
vertical grimmace

Are you running any of your DLE's with a multi prop bolt setup?? I don't see a 5mm spinner bolt listed from TT for this purpose.
The hardware TT sells for the DLE 30 is for use with the single bolt conversion, not the with the stock multi bolt setup.
When you factor in having to pay TT 10 bucks to custom drill the backplate and provide the correct bushing so the spinner runs true with the multi bolt setup, I think the using the single bolt prop adapter makes things easier, that's all
Pete
On my DL 50 (same as DLE 55 really) I was flying that engine for 4 years with the 4 bolt setup, with a 5" aluminum spinner. I converted it to a single bolt prop adapter this summer. The thread size, inside the stud was identical to the spinner bolt I used before.

The cheapest way is to go to the hardware store if they have one. Most likely not though. A quick internet search should yeild many vendors for this bolt. I recommend a socket head cap screw. The trick will be to find the length you need.

The only thing single bolt prop adapter saves you is having to drill your backplate. This is easily achieved with the drill jig you will need anyway for your props.

As the OP asked, NO you do not need an adapter like a glow engine. Just the bolt. The stud is tapped in the center to receive it.

Hard to argue with someone who does not own the engine and cannot visualize what is actually going on.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I don't know what the fuss is, every spinner that I have ever bought has had a bolt with it. Now of course they don't always fit W/O some mods to shorten or lengthen it. If all else fails go to the local hardware store and buy one that's the correct size and length, problem is solved.
If you choose to use the 4 bolt method as I do to hold things together, a person can use the prop drilling jig to drill the back plate of the spinner.
Maybe I am missing something here but I can not for the life of me see what the issue is??????
Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 AM
vertical grimmace

Just do not want to see bad info passed along, that a single bolt adapter solves the OP's problem. It will not.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM
ameyam

well, I am getting the 4bolt jig for the dle anyway. If fitted with a spring washer under the head, the bolts will never come off
With regards to the spinner bolt, TT told me that they supply a 10-32 with their spinners & I dont need tht 5mm bolt for mounting the spinner. I doubt that but I will do a test fit and see. Else, I will simply take a standard 5mm bolt and turn the head a bit smaller on a lathe to make it fit in the spinner cone recess
Ameyam
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 AM
pilotpete2

OK, the real issue is the center hole in the backplate. The center hole in TT backplates is 3/8th". The DLE uses a 10mm diameter crankshaft extension, which requires reaming the center hole to fit the larger crankshaft extension. This is not something you want to try doing with a drill press at home. The hole must be perfectly centered or you're in real trouble. TT provides a backplate modification service, they will properly ream the center hole and drill the 4 bolt holes for a fee of $9.50
Now, to the issue of the 10-32 spinner bolt and the M5 threads in the crankshaft extension. Last night I didn't realize you could use the 10-32 TT spinner bolt in an M5 thread. A bit of a loose fit, but perfectly acceptable for this application, as the torque used on the spinner bolt is quite low.
So, there's two ways to mount the TT spinners on the DLE 30. Have the backplate modification done, or as I suggested, go to the single bolt adapter, then just order the correct hardware package from TT. That gives you the correct prop nuts with the 10-32 thread in the tip, and a press in 8mm bushing to properly center the backplate on the 8mm prop shaft.
Both ways will work fine. My personal choice would be to go the single bolt route, that way the stock spinner backplate can be used on other engines simply by changing the press in bushing to fit the prop bolt on any other engine with a standard prop shaft.
Regards to all,
Pete
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM
ameyam

I tried, it fits
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92231.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	1843228  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 AM
ameyam

And the spinner centre hole needs to be widened. I dont see any reason why that cant be done with a bench press or even a hand held drill. Since there is already a hole there, the widened hole will have the same centre as long as the initial center is adjusted properly
Ameyam
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM
pilotpete2

No, a drill bit will tend to walk or go off center. With the spinner turning at 10K RPM, there's little tolerance for error.
I realize you're at a disadvantage shipping wise being in India, but if you haven't as yet ordered the spinner from Tower, you could order the spinner directly from Tru-Turn with the backplate modification already done. Another option would be to take the backplate to a local machine shop and have them enlarge the hole and even drill the 4 bolt holes for you using the DLE drill guide.
Best of luck with your build[8D]
Pete
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM
vertical grimmace

Use a quality tapered ream in your drill press. This will help keep it centered.

The single bolt prop adapter stud is the same diameter as the stock stud on the DLE engines. Just an FYI
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 AM
ameyam

... but if you haven't as yet ordered the spinner from Tower, you could order the spinner directly from Tru-Turn with the backplate modification already done.

Pete
Thats what I plan to do for the new 2.75" AeroWorks Extra 300 30cc specific spinner

... Another option would be to take the backplate to a local machine shop and have them enlarge the hole and even drill the 4 bolt holes for you using the DLE drill guide.
Thats what I plan to do with the spinners I already have. My biggest concern was the centre bolt, that is resolved now. I will need to do something similar with the CF spinners I got from HK, so I will do this together

Thanks for the guidance guys

Ameyam
Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
pilotpete2

Sounds like you have some nice projects in the works[8D]
FWIW, I'm in the middle of putting the .60-.90 size Aeroworks Extra 300 together. It will be powered by an RCGF 20cc that was on my old Goldberg Extra 300 (kit built) that finally met its expiration date, due to a bad aileron servo[>:]. This plane calls for a 2" spinner, so I'll have to have Tru-Turn custom cut a 2" Ultimate style spinner to accommodate the 17-6" Zoar prop that I use on that engine. THe Aeroworks is a bit smaller and wayyyyy lighter than my old Goldberg, so should be fun to fly.
Best of luck on your projects,
Pete
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

I don't know what the fuss is, every spinner that I have ever bought has had a bolt with it. Now of course they don't always fit W/O some mods to shorten or lengthen it. If all else fails go to the local hardware store and buy one that's the correct size and length, problem is solved.
If you choose to use the 4 bolt method as I do to hold things together, a person can use the prop drilling jig to drill the back plate of the spinner.
Maybe I am missing something here but I can not for the life of me see what the issue is??????
Boy I can't either.You can just buy a spinner from Valley View It will fit either stock prop hub or single bolt. The back plate id drilled for DL 20,30 and 55. four bolt of 10MM for single bolt.Does not hurt to balence them though.
BC some people just need more to do.