Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Using CA to soak fiber glass center wing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Using CA to soak fiber glass center wing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Blade47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using CA to soak fiber glass center wing

I just wanted to know if any one has used CA glue to soak fiber glass when doing the center section of a wing top and bottom?? I use it to tack the glass in place in the four conners but got to thinking that maybe it could be used to do the whole thing
Old 09-14-2003, 05:50 PM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Using CA to soak fiber glass center wing

I've done this way for ever, seems to work just fine...
Old 09-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Azcat59

I've done it on smaller airplanes (40 size) but it sure stinks when it soaks into the glass cloth. I generally tack the TE portion, then pull it forward over the LE and tack it there, and then use slow-drying epoxy on the entire piece, using an old credit card to squeegee it down through the cloth and into the wood. It is a better grip than CA only, and less brittle.

Clair
Old 09-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Blade47

Thanks for you reply but hmmmm what about using slow dry thick CA??
Old 09-14-2003, 10:04 PM
KJohn

I have used thick CA on fiberglass across the center section of the wing. I place a short bead of thick CA on the cloth and then use a piece of wax paper and spread the CA into the cloth so that the CA is spread thin. I continue this until the entire cloth has been adhered. I have had good luck using this method. It is quick and gives good strength. Also I find that Monokote will adhere to the finished CA/fiberglass combination very well. So I also use a patch of thin fiberglass cloth over pushrod exit slots on the surface of the wing and use 'smeared' thick CA to adhere it, then cover the entire wing with Monokote.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:31 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Make sure you don't use CA on a foam core sheeted wing. It will dissolve the foam under the balsa wherever it soaks thru. I would also do this outside and stand upwind while you douse the wing with CA. Breathing alot of CA fumes is bad news. . . .
Old 09-15-2003, 03:21 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

I have used CA with fiberglass and carbon for years with never any sort of a failure. No, it's not quite a tough as epoxy and is more brittle, but wow, is it fast! I tack on the glass or carbon with 3M 77 spray glue, getting it just where I want it and then hit it with CA. However, stay away from those fumes as it cures. I always use thin. It wicks so well and cures in minutes (not seconds). There is little moisture in fiberglass to start the cure and there is a lot of CA there to cure - don't touch it for a while or you WILL stick yourself to it.

p.s. - A stated above be very carefull if there is foam nearby. The "normal" CA will melt the foam! You can get "low odor" foam safe CA, but it's expensive and has poor shelf life.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:57 AM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

A variation of the CA fiberglass process is this, you can 3M 77 the glass to wax paper both sides, then you can cut perfect edges with no unraveling, when ready to apply to model, remove one side (outside) of wax paper and use a quick spray of 3M 77 again on the wing or glass to adhere it. Peel the other wax paper and apply medium CA using a plastic bag to protect your finger and rub it in doing about an inch at a time. it works great.