Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Not Running well

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 PM
pbeck14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 20cc Not Running well

I have a quite new DLE 20 cc engine installed on an Aeroworks 60-90 QB extra model turning an Xoar 16 x 8 propellor. Fuel is 91 octane on a 30:1 mix.

We ran the engine in according to instruction and to begin with, it performed well. However recently the engine has become difficult to start and now we notice that although it will start within a few turns, it will only come to a partial power which is low and then goes no further. Advancing the throttle on the transmitter has no effect. The engine in effect runs for a bit on what it would seem is between a quarter to half power but no more. Eventually it stops. I have checked that the hi and lo speed needles are set to the factory settings and have attempted to tweak them whilst the engine is running but it still will not come up on power.

Any ideas / suggestions on the probelm would be very much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: DLE 20cc Not Running well

It might sound silly but the first thing I always do is swap the spark plug.
In your case it could be a fuel delivery problem.
How old is it?
Have you been running fuel with ethanol in it?
Do you filter your fuel?
Do the diaphrams in the carb look supple?
Check all plumbing change the filter clunk if you are useing one.
Take the screen out of the carb, it can build up with crap that you can't see till you hold it up to the light.
Try that for a start, then take the carb off and look at the reeds
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After you're done with 3136's suggestions, rebuild the carb. It easy to do and will eliminate the carb as being the culprit. Make sure the sensor is plugged in right.If that doesn't do the trick, change the ignition module. Dan.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 PM
pbeck14

Thank you...in fact swapping the plug was the first thing we did but without success. Actually getting that spark plug hood off is far from an easy exercise if you are trying to avoid damaging it as you almost need to lever it off.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The original as supplied reed block and reeds are a trouble magnet on these for not seating

Open the carb and wiggle the crank back and forth from compression to compression and listen for the reeds snapping open and shut.

Remove the reed block from behind the carb and check if the reeds are seating tightly against the seat?

You can use fine sand paper on some glass to flatten the reed block

Mount the reeds in the direction that holds them tight against the seat?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:02 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

Food for thought,

1) Use Stihl Uhiltimate (SP) oil at 40 to 1. ( That's correct 40 to 1)

2) Change the plug.

3) Go to the new RECEXEL Ignition module ( will require timing change)

Got this from Factory Rep - I trust implicitly .

ACE
Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It sounds to me like you're running a battery that's nearly dead, or for whatever reason that ign. module is not getting enough voltage. On low voltage, it will act exactly as you describe. That module will have you convinced you have a carb issue..... it will not allow full rpm. They will allow for enough power to let you land.....

If you're convinced the battery is fully charged, before writing off the low voltage possibility, make sure you check the voltage right at the module - with a load.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:40 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

I agree , been there done that.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pbeck14

Thank you...in fact swapping the plug was the first thing we did but without success. Actually getting that spark plug hood off is far from an easy exercise if you are trying to avoid damaging it as you almost need to lever it off.

The hood may be easy to remove if you first shove down & at the same time twist it 1/8 turn...that should release it a bit to then pull strait off. About that ignition...try a known good one. Capt,n
Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Granpooba

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pbeck14

I have a quite new DLE 20 cc engine installed on an Aeroworks 60-90 QB extra model turning an Xoar 16 x 8 propellor. Fuel is 91 octane on a 30:1 mix.

We ran the engine in according to instruction and to begin with, it performed well. However recently the engine has become difficult to start and now we notice that although it will start within a few turns, it will only come to a partial power which is low and then goes no further. Advancing the throttle on the transmitter has no effect. The engine in effect runs for a bit on what it would seem is between a quarter to half power but no more. Eventually it stops. I have checked that the hi and lo speed needles are set to the factory settings and have attempted to tweak them whilst the engine is running but it still will not come up on power.

Any ideas / suggestions on the probelm would be very much appreciated.
Good luck with your Aeroworks Extra. I had the exact same model and engine. It crashed and totaled out on its very first take off. All due to structural design and failure, not to mention poor gluing and quality, as the complete vertical and horizontal stabs completely separated from the fuselage.

It was as if you took an Xacto knife and made a clean cut in front of the vertical stab and the fuselage area beneath the horizontal stab completely came apart.

I made an effort to contact Aeroworks of the poor quality and possible design flaw. Note that I was not looking for any compensation, but only to advise them of possible problems with this model. Never heard word one back from them, after two email attempts.

As I said, good luck with your Extra, as you may very well need it.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same airplane also. The wing alignment pins was off location & the covering needs re-shrinking very often. I agree it is not top notch by any means. I wish somebody would take some photos of one with the covering off so we could see just how good they are made. Best Regards, Capt,n
Old 02-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Granpooba

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I have the same airplane also. The wing alignment pins was off location & the covering needs re-shrinking very often. I agree it is not top notch by any means. I wish somebody would take some photos of one with the covering off so we could see just how good they are made. Best Regards, Capt,n
Well, I know that Aeroworks will never take a picture with the covering off. Very apparent in my eyes anyways, that they will admit to nothing. [&o]
Old 02-18-2013, 02:48 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree that this sounds like low voltage to the ignition. I have experienced this too many times unfortunatly
Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM
SkyPilot101

Verify voltage to the ignition, if OK, rebuild your carb, both pump and meatering diaphram