Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help with my Electrifly Tiger Moth

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Need help with my Electrifly Tiger Moth

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:26 AM
acfenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my Electrifly Tiger Moth

I'm having a little trouble with the finishing touches on my Electrifly Tiger Moth. I have the Rimfire 250 motor installed and have the electronics all hooked up. When I bound my Spektrum 6115e Microlite receiver to the plane, I discovered that the rudder and elevator servos are working fine and seem to have bound successfully, but the motor doesn't work at all when I advance the throttle on my DX6i transmitter. I've tried switching the wires around connecting the Electrifly Silver Series brushless speed control to the motor and even reversed the ESC going into the receiver, and still nothing. Any advice anyone would have as to why the motor doesn't work would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Need help with my Electrifly Tiger Moth

What battery are you using?

A few photos would help to confirm the hook-up.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you reverse the ESC connector on position #3 (Throttle) of the receiver then you have reversed the ground going to the receiver and you then had no power to the receiver .
First remove the propeller from the motor.
Install the ESC plug into the THRO port of the receiver properly .
The three leads from the ESC are connected to the three leads of the motor.
Lower the throttle and lower the throttle trim on the transmitter to the lowest position.
Plug the battery into the ESC
Do you hear any tones from the motor?
Do you have power to the receiver and control of rudder and elevator?
If you have power to the receiver and hear repeating tones(2 beeps repeating) from the motor then you have the throttle position reversed.(you have actually entered "programming mode" for the ESC).
Unplug the battery in the plane and then reverse the throttle on the transmitter.
power on and plug the battery back into the plane.
You should now hear the start-up and arming tones ( 1 beep I believe)from the motor and be able to start the motor by raising the throttle.
If not then suspect the motor or the ESC
Try another motor on that ESC and/or try another ESC on that motor.

Here's the ESC manual: http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmm1...anual-v1_2.pdf
Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 AM
acfenn

I'm pretty sure I got everything hooked up correctly. I did go back over things again to make sure. When I turn on the transmitter and connect the battery, I only get one tone from the ESC. The rudder and elevator work fine with control inputs, but the motor continues to be lifeless. Not even a whisper from it. I will see if I have another ESC that I can connect to see if that's the issue or if there might be issues with the motor. Hate getting new equipment that might be defective, but it happens!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen issues with ESC when the trims for the throttle were not all the way down.  give that a try.  Your ESC won't arm unless it gets a true zero from the throttle channel.

If that does not do it, I think you have an ESC or motor problem.  Try another motor or another ESC.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:29 AM
cubaneight

Sounds like you need to teach the ESC the full and closed throttle positions of your TX. You're using a Spektrum transmitter so make sure you have the throttle channel reverser set to normal (i.e not reversed). Remove the propeller from the motor for safety, and have the throttle stick set to maximum. Turn on TX, then turn on the model, when you hear a beep from the ESC quickly bring the stick to minimum. Another beep will confirm the setting. Motor should now work correctly.

C8
Old 04-14-2013, 04:24 PM
flyinwalenda

I read the manual more closely and these ESC's have to be manually armed each time you plug the battery in , You have to do this every time.

ESC OPERATION:
1. Turn the transmitter’s power on.
2. Move the throttle stick to the off or brake position (towards you).
3. Connect the battery to the ESC. The motor will beep to indicate the
brake setting (once for off, twice for on).
4. Move the throttle stick to full. The motor will again beep once or
twice to indicate the brake setting.
5. Move the throttle stick to off or brake and the motor will beep four
times. The ESC is now “armed”.
If the ESC does not operate properly or makes a low pitched beeping
sound following the above setup procedure, disconnect the battery
from the ESC, reverse the throttle setting on the transmitter and repeat
the ESC setup.
SAFE-START: As a safety precaution to prevent the motor from
rotating when the battery is first connected, you must “arm” the ESC
every time you connect the battery. The propeller will NOT rotate until
the ESC is armed. To arm the ESC, move the throttle stick to full
position, then back to off (or brake). Now the motor will rotate
anytime the throttle stick is advanced away from the off position!
Care must be exercised when near the model’s propeller!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:52 PM
acfenn

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I've discovered that I have more to learn about electronic speed controllers. Thanks Brian for your direction on how to arm the ESC. I tried out your recommendation and it work just as you described. I just needed to "arm" the ESC before the motor would work. Everything seems to be working great now. I assume I will need to do this everytime I fly, but being that it only takes a few seconds it certainly won't be an issue.

Thanks again!
Chris
Old 04-15-2013, 04:29 AM
eagle33

<font size="4">Now that you have the ESC armed, rebind to your Dx6i.  You should not have to go through the arming procedure every time you go out to fly.</font>
Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 AM
flyinwalenda

ORIGINAL: acfenn

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I've discovered that I have more to learn about electronic speed controllers. Thanks Brian for your direction on how to arm the ESC. I tried out your recommendation and it work just as you described. I just needed to "arm" the ESC before the motor would work. Everything seems to be working great now. I assume I will need to do this everytime I fly, but being that it only takes a few seconds it certainly won't be an issue.

Thanks again!
Chris
No problem!
Yes these ESC's are different than the typical ESC's in that they have this safety feature built in . You have to arm it every time you power it up.
Actually seems like a good idea to prevent accidental start-up if the throttle is accidently bumped before you are ready.