Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Old Reliable: P&W PT-6 Turboprop

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Old Reliable: P&W PT-6 Turboprop

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Old Reliable: P&W PT-6 Turboprop

Here is an interesting video featuring one of the designers of the Pratt & Whitney PT-6 Turboprop engines. It's an engineering milestone of light aircraft using turbine power. It's not specifically jet related but it's a jet powered powerplant!

All previous and current turboprop pilots and current turborop RC modelers will like this if they know about the Pratt & Whitney PT-6.

http://youtu.be/TWj0_ZUheMg

Edit: Tried to embed the video but it won't, so the link takes you to Youtube...
Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 PM
stevekott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Old Reliable: P&W PT-6 Turboprop

Love that motor! Flown one in my Piper for the last 13 years. Never a SINGLE problem! Simply a great Power Plant.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:19 AM
warbirdfanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the way he still talks about it like it's new I bet he was a great salesman back in the day once this baby was built!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 AM
hotspot 01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got over 3000 hrs on King Air aircraft with the pt6-42 power plants not one single issue.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you guys, I have so many hours of PT-6 time - I owe these engineers a lot for what they designed and tested to the limits before releasing to the industry. Their work has kept me and many people safe and warm... fat dumb and happy... it's am amazing power plant. I had one cough at me with a compressor stall once... but it was over before I could do anything, and the engine kept running. It was in the heaviest icing I've ever seen one nasty night going into Washington DC. One passenger sitting near the wing told me he ..."never knew a jet prop could back fire flames out the front". I said it was just to let the gate guys know we were coming. I think I've got over 3500 hours in PT-6's, from the 600 HP versions to the 2000 HP versions. All twin engine, so that means 7000 hours of perfectly safe run time with only one compressor stall that self cleared... and absolutely no other issues what so ever otherwise, and I used to do a lot of maintenance test flights too. Love that P&W Eagle too, it's a great logo.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 235 Likes on 122 Posts

I love the PT6! I dont have as much time in them as you guys, im only sitting at around 1800hrs in everything from the -20 thru 46 series. Definitely a dang good engine! I can say, of all the catastrophic engine failures ive had (two) they were both Pt6's. I've had a few "interesting" moments doing post maintenance delivery flights and ground runs as well, all of which were simple.