Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trying to learn but im terrible at math!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Trying to learn but im terrible at math!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Dirtydog258

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to learn but im terrible at math!

Ok first offI need a battery for my plane Ihave the Parkzone F4-Ucorsair.

This is what Ihave so far

Transmitter Dx6I
Reciever AR6210
Parkzone Stock 480 Outrunner motor
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bha...rkzone480.html
30Amp Esc
Battery: None

I am not trying to modify the Internals yet and I am trying to push them to their maximum potential.

So this is what im thinking a 2700Mah 35C 11.1 V battery and a 2200Mah 30C 11.v battery. With a 10x8 prop (changing from its 9x7.5 prop.

I guess im asking will this work or will my plane turn into the Hindenburg lol

OH and happy wensday!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:44 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trying to learn but im terrible at math!

Well, all the larger mah lipo will do is #1 add extra weight, and #2 give some added capacity or run time. If you want to try to push it get a 12X8E 2-blade prop and use a 1800 or 2200 mah 3-cell lipo. It should pull around 25 amps on the 30amp ESC.
You can't push these stock motors too much as they aren't made that well.
I ended up putting in a motor from the Parkzone Extra300 and the 3-blade prop from the Parkzone BF109. Looks more scale and flies nice but not overpowered.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Dirtydog258

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you show me how you did that math... your going to have to dumb it down...

How do i know the 35C wont burn up my plane being it is a 2700mah or a 2200Mah using the 35C rating.......

Does the Esc Limit what goes to the motor so its not over powered? or if i put to small of a battery does the battery burst?

I Would like to know how you figured the 25 amps on a 30amp Esc...

Thanks for helping me on this its all still pretty new
Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe revisit this a minute.
I suggest you read through this to get started:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

If you want to start testing your electric set-ups you need at a minimum a watt meter for RC use. It connects between the motor and the ESC. As you try different props it will register amp draw watt produced, volts, etc The load on the motor determines how many amps it draws. The motor will continue to draw amps until it burns up so you have to be careful not to exceed that rating. Similar with the ESC it will pass current and if the current is too much it will cut-out and if it continues it will overheat and burn up...all based on the load of the motor.
The batteries will give as much power as is requested until they reach their limit. As long as the motor can handle a 3-cell battery it doesn't matter if you connect a 3-cell 1000mah 20C or a 3-cell 5000mah 40c the motor and ESC will only draw as much current as the prop demands.
The C rating on the battery determines the amount of current the battery can supply. Go above that number and you risk damage to the battery. So a 3-cell 2200mah 30C lipo will deliver around 66 amps .
As lipos age their resistance changes (gets higher) and they can't deliver the amps as well. Different types of batteries have different resistance when new so a 2200 30C lipo made by one company may perform a little better than one made by another company . As they age or if they are missued the resistance goes up and they loose their ability to deliver the "punch".
If you have the specs of the motor, esc, battery, you can use this to help determine what prop to use and see how many amps it draws, what power it can make, etc.. http://www.adamone.rchomepage.com/calc_motor.htm
Other than that you need to start searching out electric flight , rc electric flying articles and read, read, read.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 PM
chuckk2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The battery mah is not that critical, although the increased weight might be.
You want to change to a longer propeller. This increases the current draw of the motor.
Knowing a few things, you can use one of the online calculators.
A/C weight
Motor specs
Prop size & pitch
ESC rating
Battery number of cells, etc.
Esc's - - cheap ones are usually aggressively  rated, good ones conservatively.