Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Transmitter timers/resets

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 AM
Ibcinyou!
My Feedback: (850)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter timers/resets

Have you ever noticed that the radio’s have three different timers? 1) Is the flight timer. 2) Is the total on time for each model in your transmitter. And the third timer is the total on time for your transmitter. The odd thing about the last two timers is that the timer only goes up to 99 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds. If you fly for one more second, the timer resets back to zero. If you fly a lot, you can easily put more than 100 hours on your plane in a year.
If you fly planes that weigh over 55lbs, you have to keep a log of all the “on time” for the model. This makes it difficult when the transmitter keeps resetting itself after 100 hours of “on time”. The timer for one of my planes should read approximately 725 hours, but it doesn’t, it has reset itself seven times already.
I have called JR and Futaba and asked them if they could do something to the radio so that it would go past the 100 hour mark. Their opinion was that I am the only one who has asked for this and that they don’t see a problem with the way it is. They also stated that most people don’t keep or fly their plane that long. I find this hard to believe because I seem to roll over the odometer one to two times a year. I can’t be the only one that seems to have this problem.
I don’t know about you, but it ticks me off that my JR10X, JR12X, Futaba 9C Super, and my Futaba 14MZ and every other radio that I have ever owned resets itself as it approaches 100 hours on the timer. I think that if enough people voice their opinion about this issue, that we could get transmitters that would be able to go to a more reasonable time. It would be great if they added two more digits, which would give you 9,999 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds before resetting back to zero.
Cars use to only go up to 1000 miles, then they raised it to 99,999.9, now they go to 999,999.9 miles. If cars can get a million-mile odometer we should be able to get a ten thousand-hour transmitter.
What do you think?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: Transmitter timers/resets

That is amazing.

If each flight is about 15 minutes then you have flown that plane about 2900 times! That would be 8 flights a day for each day in a year. Or 3 years of use at 18 flights every week.
Have you had to rebuild the motor yet?

Really?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 AM
Ibcinyou!
My Feedback: (850)

Well your kind of missing the point, It’s about the transmitter odometer but if you want to know the detail or parameters of the plane it is over 5 years old, and I fly between 120 and 160 hours a year. I even fly in the wintertime, during high winds, and during high temperatures. About the only thing that stops me from flying is rain. I even fly in the snow. I am also on my second motor and second set of servos, and second set of batteries.
So Yes Really!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ibcinyou!

.....If you fly planes that weigh over 55lbs, you have to keep a log of all the “on time” for the model. This makes it difficult when the transmitter keeps resetting itself after 100 hours of “on time”. The timer for one of my planes should read approximately 725 hours, but it doesn’t, it has reset itself seven times already..........

What do you think?
This might not tbe what you want to hear but here it goes anyway.

For you to notice all this information, you should keep very good notes of all your flights. So if you keep such good notes of all your flights, it should be very easy for you to notice a "roll over" of the timer. Just keep the actual timer rolling on your logbook, and it should match somewhat closely to the one on the radio, just off by a multiple of 100.

I am also on my second motor and second set of servos, and second set of batteries.
So what would happen to your timer when you have to change transmitters? If you fly that much, you will have to change or at least re-build the one you own soon. I hope you have a backup. I've needed one more than once. Now the TX timer would be way off from the logbook timer. And the discussion here would be null and void at that point.

Again, just brining up some points based on my opinion.

Rafael
Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, my previous post was based solely on opinion and observation. This one deals with numbers.......

Fact: 100hours before reset
Assumption: 15 minutes of ON status assuming 10 to 12 minutes of actual flight.
1 year = 365 days = 52 weeks

If we use 15 minutes of ON status per flight, then we get a total of 400 flights per year or 1 flight per day or 7.7 flights per week. If the goal is to keep a timer on a yearly basis, this numbers are a bit too low.

Based on the above, I'd have to agree with your comments. But if the goal is to keep track of actual time for a logbook application........... I would not rely on the electronic timer to keep track of the ON time. The logbook is the correct place to keep that information.

Rafael