Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Any big changes in the RC world in the last 1 1/2 years?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Any big changes in the RC world in the last 1 1/2 years?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any big changes in the RC world in the last 1 1/2 years?

I've pretty much taken most of the last year to 1 1/2 years off from RC and pretty much been focusing on motorcycles, my house and work (in that exact order). Any huge new technology or releases? Just wondering whats happening out there.

-I noticed the forum looks different, took a second to find my way here.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not a hell of a lot changed.
The RC world seems to have stagnated somewhat IMO.

The forum was upgraded earlier this month which is why it looks different
Old 08-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

A few new kits out there, but no new technologies.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Sigma.40

Good deal. I was kinda hoping I'd get back into it and there would be a dozen new things I'd have to buy. Oh well.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1

Originally Posted by Sigma.40
Good deal. I was kinda hoping I'd get back into it and there would be a dozen new things I'd have to buy. Oh well.
not soo much new tech....
more of the brushless...lipo....2.4ghz tech trickling down in to lower cost RTR models.
I just saw a ECX torment Brushless model in my hobby shop today. $290 for a RTR, waterproof, brushless 2wd with spectrum 2.4ghz radio. that's about $70 less than a slash 2wd vxl. Might even cost less on ebay.

I forget when the traxxas xo-1 was released. probly not something you would want to buy, but if you haven't seen it check it out. They also released a funny car not too long ago.

There have also been RTR 1/5 scale brushless models released in the past year. A rovan 5t brushless and RTR (batt+ charger even) is under 1k

cant recall when the vaterra "twin hammers" came out. The vaterra line is not that old.

That's all I can think of really.

Last edited by nitrosportsandrunner; 08-19-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: 1
Old 08-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Sigma.40

Yeah, I knew about the XO-1. I really wanted one until I realized that I don't really have anywhere to run it. It was shortly after that, that I fell out of RC for a bit.

-I had a Rovan. I know some people feel strongly about them, but, personally, I'll never do that again.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:00 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man there has been bit going on over the last 2 years nothing big tho

Traxxas, have been pumping out the models. With some new twists on current models. And the LCG 4x4 slash and rally are really mixing things up. They are proving to be competitive in the 4x4 SCT racing
There is now a 1/24 rally car
Nitro 2wd slash
GPS and expansion bay for the TQi telemetry

Losi have been stepping up there game with the SCT racing as well they now have a 22 bases SCT
they have caned the brushed micro SCT for brushless only
there is now a 8ight 3.0...2013 roar champ

Hpi now have brushless 1/5 baja

Axial has now 3 versions of the scx10

Pro line have a few new bodies

RPM have a few more bits and prices for various models

There is so much I've missed, Big squid is a good way to catchup, they have some great reviews and information on new products.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F1 Racing is picking up, 1/12 racing is picking up, veterra, a new brand, popped up, traxxas is inflating thier prices even further, except dropping the price on the x-o1 and funny cars. part of ofna was bought out by HPI, Duratrax discontinues brushless evader, castle makes it's first waterproof systems, HPI discontiues electric 1/5 baja, associated re-releases gold pan. la-trax, a sister brand of traxxas comes out.

Last edited by The_Shark; 08-19-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:20 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I knew about the XO-1. I really wanted one until I realized that I don't really have anywhere to run it. It was shortly after that, that I fell out of RC for a bit.

-I had a Rovan. I know some people feel strongly about them, but, personally, I'll never do that again.
didn't like your rovan?
I had a KM Baja a few years back. worked pretty well for me. The metals were softer than the HPI versions but still held up fine. Tires were definitely not as long lasting as the HPI ones. Other than that I was happy with it.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:32 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by The_Shark
F1 Racing is picking up, 1/12 racing is picking up, veterra, a new brand, popped up, traxxas is inflating thier prices even further, except dropping the price on the x-o1 and funny cars. part of ofna was bought out by HPI, Duratrax discontinues brushless evader, castle makes it's first waterproof systems, HPI discontiues electric 1/5 baja, associated re-releases gold pan. la-trax, a sister brand of traxxas comes out.
You forgot HPI doesn't distibute their own gear anymore, and just before the announcement got an exclusive distribution right to HoBao which kinda screwed Ofna and HoBao at the same time.

But anyways my 1st post was on tech, as Traxxas slapping new shades of lipstick on the same old pig's doesn't count as new tech

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 08-20-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've pretty much taken most of the last year to 1 1/2 years off from RC and pretty much been focusing on motorcycles, my house and work (in that exact order). Any huge new technology or releases? Just wondering whats happening out there.
Nope. You missed nothing. You can go back to sleep now. See you in 2015.
Come to think of it, I should go to sleep too. Or take a loooong trip.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:41 PM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
You forgot HPI doesn't distibute their own gear anymore, and just before the announcement got an exclusive distribution right to HoBao which kinda screwed Ofna and HoBao at the same time.

But anyways my 1st post was on tech, as Traxxas slapping new shades of lipstick on the same old pig's doesn't count as new tech
What do u mean? The variations of current models? I agree that it does not count as new tech, but traxxas have been releasing heaps of stuff over the last few years that is new tech..... Everyone just forgets that's all

Ahh but what about the TQi radio gear, X01, drag car, Nitro Slash, 4x4 LCG chassis, x01 style driveshafts, longer GTR shocks, latrax, GPS Unit, telemetry expander and there new charger.....oh nearly forgot the helicopters from traxxas..... That's a lot of new tech for 1 company in such a short time.. And before that there was the e-revo and summit, 4x4 HCG chassis, 1/16 lineup, 2.4ghz TQ radio gear and water proof electronics.....

since the first revo in 2004 traxxas has been pumping out new tech. 9 years later look at all the new models... And even variations of current models.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by phmaximus
What do u mean? The variations of current models? I agree that it does not count as new tech, but traxxas have been releasing heaps of stuff over the last few years that is new tech..... Everyone just forgets that's all

Ahh but what about the TQi radio gear, X01, drag car, Nitro Slash, 4x4 LCG chassis, x01 style driveshafts, longer GTR shocks, latrax, GPS Unit, telemetry expander and there new charger.....oh nearly forgot the helicopters from traxxas..... That's a lot of new tech for 1 company in such a short time.. And before that there was the e-revo and summit, 4x4 HCG chassis, 1/16 lineup, 2.4ghz TQ radio gear and water proof electronics.....

since the first revo in 2004 traxxas has been pumping out new tech. 9 years later look at all the new models... And even variations of current models.
The heli's are from I believe its husband and the only tech put into them was slapping a traxxas sticker on them as I saw a review comparing them, and they are exactly the same part for part.
Nitro slash extended nitro rustler yup new tech
Also it was last 2 years he was here for the XO-1 so the TQI was out too
Will admit I completely forgot the funny car even existed
As for a LCG chassis I honestly don't consider this new tech as other places already sold them, and they just went with the flow.

Now if you want to go back 9 years I'm sure you could come up with a impressive list for any company
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 AM
phmaximus

its not all bad, just saying.....

They seem to be doing a new chassis each year...
Old 08-23-2013, 12:22 AM
phmaximus

Just for giggles... doesent mean anything. does this look about right?

Ive listed Traxxas line up under each chassis type.

electric
1/16 4wd, Mini Summit, Mini Revo, Ken Block, Mini Rally, Mini Slash
SWB 2wd, Bandit, Rustler
SWB HCG 2wd, Stampede, Monster Jam
LWB 2wd, Slash, Raptor
SWB 4wd, Stampede 4x4, Telluride
LWB 4wd, Slash 4x4
LWB LCG 4wd, Slash Platinum, Rally
Emaxx
E Revo, Summit
Funny Car
X01

Nitro
Jato
4tec
Rustler
Sport
Slash
LWB HCG 4x4 Revo
SWB HCG 4x4Slayer
Tmaxx
Old 08-23-2013, 04:23 AM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

Just for giggles... doesent mean anything. does this look about right?

Ive listed Traxxas line up under each chassis type.

electric
1/16 4wd, Mini Summit, Mini Revo, Ken Block, Mini Rally, Mini Slash
SWB 2wd, Bandit, Rustler
SWB HCG 2wd, Stampede, Monster Jam
LWB 2wd, Slash, Raptor
SWB 4wd, Stampede 4x4, Telluride
LWB 4wd, Slash 4x4
LWB LCG 4wd, Slash Platinum, Rally
Emaxx
E Revo, Summit
Funny Car
X01

Nitro
Jato
4tec
Rustler
Sport
Slash
LWB HCG 4x4 Revo
SWB HCG 4x4Slayer
Tmaxx

But, but everybody says they only have one chassis and never ever nothing new lol. The one thing that has not changed is the amount of hate Traxxas receives.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 AM
phmaximus

I still think someday we will see a 1/8 Truggy from traxxas that's not a revo.

i reckon, with a hammer, hacksaw and some cable ties, I could make one using a revo, X01, and a jato...
Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Zonked
My Feedback: (6)

I still think someday we will see a 1/8 Truggy from traxxas that's not a revo.

i reckon, with a hammer, hacksaw and some cable ties, I could make one using a revo, X01, and a jato...
lmao you forgot duck tape.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:57 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Besides the funny car none of that is "new tech" they are just catching up. lol
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM
turok007

the xo1 is built from the slash. Nitro Slash is just a longer rustler WOW 4x4 LCG chassis has a weak spot. longer GTR shocks LOL as for the helicopters traxxas did build them honest. as for the telemetry it did look good but anyone serious about speed has dumped it and went back to GPS.

Last edited by turok007; 08-23-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Not much, pockets are still empty!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 PM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by turok007
the xo1 is built from the slash. Nitro Slash is just a longer rustler WOW 4x4 LCG chassis has a weak spot. longer GTR shocks LOL as for the helicopters traxxas did build them honest. as for the telemetry it did look good but anyone serious about speed has dumped it and went back to GPS.
FYI, traxxas has a GPS for the telemetry...it should be promising.