Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Homemade Exhaust Pipe

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Homemade Exhaust Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 10:51 PM
Harigo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade Exhaust Pipe

I have an OS 91II with pump. Since it does not need muffler pressure I would like to make a simple flexible exhaust extension to channel the smoke out of the cowling. Any ideas what to use?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:50 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Homemade Exhaust Pipe

I have that engine and I'm using a piece of thin wall aluminum tubing for a muffler. I kept the original threaded header pipe. The tubing is such a tight fit, it will screw on over the header threads. You can get the tube at the hobby shop, I think it is 3/8" ID.

To keep it even more secure, I cut a slot lengthwise in the end of the tube about 1/2" down the tube. Then put a hose clamp over it to clamp it down tight on the header.

My tube is straight, but you can put a bend in it also. Of course if it's bent, it may be difficult to screw it onto the header.

To
Old 09-21-2003, 09:23 PM
silvercloud

I did the same thing as greenboot on a magnum 91fs but i used flexible tubing for a gas stove I bought at home depot it works fine and not much different than the muffler.[img][/img] Dave
Old 09-22-2003, 03:18 AM
Harigo

Are you suggesting the plastic tubing that we use here to connect to gas stoves. Is it heat resistant?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:21 PM
silvercloud-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

It is aluminum and flexable it has 2 threaded fittings 1 on each end I cut them off and cut to the right lenght and clamp on