Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

building techniques

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

building techniques

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 03:56 AM
SBR_RV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building techniques

it would be apprechiated if anone would would share their techneiques on cuting out bulsa and what sort of tools you used
Old 09-23-2003, 12:00 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: building techniques

What kind of cutting are you after?

strips? shapes? holes in parts? There are tips for each..

Typical tools are an X-Acto knife, a rasor saw, and a steel ruler / straight edge.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Jim_McIntyre

.... with templates for ribs/formers etc.

Can't beat a bandsaw, with ribs, stack 'em and cut them together for conformity.[8D]
Old 09-23-2003, 06:57 PM
nascarfan88

In my shop I have a scroll saw, disk & belt sander combo, drill press. I cut out ribs etc out of the plans I am using and use 3M 77 adhesive to attach to the wood. Ribs are cut all out at once or in the case of a tapered wing, I cut a pair at a time with the scroll saw. When used correctly the 3M 77 will allow you to peel the paper back off the part and save for a rainy day. I have a 4 foot straight edge for cutting strips or wide parts. I purchased a Craftsman hole cutter set and it does a really good job at cutting lightning holes etc. Buy exacto blades by the 100 and save money and always use a sharp blade (no scrimping here) especially when cutting covering - a dull blade makes a mess of things.
When cutting covering such as monokote, I change blades about every 4 or 5 cuts.
Cut your parts just a little oversized and sand to shape with the disk sander. Comes out beautiful. A drum sander on the drill press works really good - as well as a dremel tool. A large piece of glass layed flat on the work bench makes a very good surface to cut on and also to build on. A piece of dry wall (sheetrock) works great for pinning parts to.

One of the biggest virtues to have when building anything is PATIENCE. Remember to measure twice cut once; Not - I cut it twice and it's still too short.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:05 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

throw the balsa on the table tos some patterns into the pile and whack with an axe it they majically appear

No I could not cut my own without a scroll saw thats a must. Band saws are nice but not as good as a scroll saw IMHO because the blades are too wide and you cant turn as tight a radius with them. with a scroll saw besides the normal flat blades they have the round blades and you cant cut a tighter spot if needed than with one of them.

Joe
Old 09-23-2003, 10:19 PM
Combat Addict

For stripping, use a balsa stripper or Xacto and metal ruler.
For cutting shapes or whatever, use a scroll saw.
For fine shapping, sanding.
For drilling standard drill bit or pin vise.

Any others I forgot?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:21 AM
Jim_McIntyre

All of the above but, I find I barely touch my scroll saw anymore, I guess I'm building bigger these days and the bandsaw can make those curves.[8D] I do use it for inside cuts on plywood.

Also, Forstener (sp?) bits for lightening holes.

One alternative to tracing paper/3m adhesive. Photocopy your plans and transfer the ink to the wood with an iron. Works great! One caution, be aware that some cheap photocopiers distort the image at the outer edges.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I go along with the bandsaw guys. I have both the bandsaw and scroll saw and rarely use the scroll saw, could easily get by without it. Next to the bansaw, the floor model drill press is the most used tool. Of course I'm ignoring the Dremel which is the most used tool in any shop I've ever been in.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I do basically what nascarfan does. I DO use both the bandsaw and scroll saw regularly. My shop has a 1" delta verticle belt sander, 4" delta belt sander, scroll saw, band saw, 16" drill press, dremil and my most important tools are my alignment tools. A couple of bubble levels, some 6" pocket levels, an angle finder, incedence meter and a ton of clamps and home made jigs for squaring up the fuse box to hold it firm while the glue is drying. A small bottle to hold the glue is handy also, I buy tight-bond by the gallon. Rarely use CA. Theres more than just the power tools involved when building. A pretty plane thats not aligned properly is a hanger queen or not long for this world.
Edwin
Old 09-24-2003, 01:53 PM
probligo

You need three things...

A scalpel and #11 blade
A spare #11 blade
A heavy duty cutter for sheet thicker than 3/8"

A diamond hone is a good investment as well.

"It is the difference between mass production techniques and careful crafting"...
Old 09-24-2003, 01:59 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

I was looking for a scroll saw but then I found this one. Dremel Rotary Saw

http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/dremad90higs.html

Have you ever used Rotary Saw to cut balsa or ply? I am not sure whether it will cut as fine as a scroll saw.

I am planning to buy one and try, I have a dremmel that I can buy a cutting adapter like

http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/drem565mulcu.html

Do you think it will work?
Old 09-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably work for the most part. I wouldnt buy it though. Scroll saw would be better in my opinion. Then later as money is available, get a band saw. This is only if you're gonna get serious. Like probligo says, you can get by with basic tools.
Edwin
Old 09-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Combat Addict

I would go for a scroll saw also. If you want a dremel, get a real one. They now have this attachment that makes it like a mini skill saw. Anybody know how that works?
Old 09-24-2003, 08:22 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, exactly what project are you working on ?
Old 09-25-2003, 09:22 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Razor planes, and sanding bars for shaping..

you can get 'gougers' to hollow out blocks..

some tools are made, like a sharpened peice of brass tubing, for cutting slots for aileron torque rods...