Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Guillow's Kits

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Guillow's Kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Guillow's Kits

Today my wife and I stopped at a local Hobby Lobby store. It's been several year since I have been in there but let mama do her shopping and I just wandered. Ran across a few of Guillow's kits and had flash back to around age 8-10 yrs old, I have built others even into my 20's but that too was many years ago. In my hobby experience I have built just darn near one of anything and several Cubs both kit and scratch built. I left the hobby back around 2008 due to health issues but the bug is still there. Long story short I picked up a Skyraider, and a P51 Mustang, came home opened the Skyraider and could not believe that I actually looked forward to building these. My impatiences has got much better over the years but this will tax my ability and concentrations. Just everyone send good thought waves this way and who know they might actually live long enough to make a maiden flight. Of course when I did them eariler one thing lead to another and I was building 1/3 scale and larger. Have good thoughts for me.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 AM
Wagon1

Hobby Lobby knows we have to kill time waiting on our wives and put these out there to tease us. I built just about every Guillows kit they made growing up, but have not tried the "new" laser cut kits. Some flew well, some had one short flight, but I learned a lot building them. Enjoy. I seem to always have something on the building board, but would like to try one again sometime. Please keep us in the loop and post some photos.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 AM
alltumbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should be fun for all of us. I've got a B-24 Liberator out in my shop I got from a hobby shop going out of business ....... who knows ?????
Old 10-31-2013, 09:30 AM
WALKERS210-RCU

Opened the Skyraider last night and seperated all the parts, marked the places to cut out for stringers. This kit must be a leftover from when I was a kid (many moons ago), no laser cut, still die cut but most everything came out ok. I have built many planes from kits and scratch but hope I have the patience to stay with this little thing. In the past I had a thought of taking a Guillow's B-17 kit and converting it to electric. Will try to take pics as it goes along.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

I'll keep an eye on your thread. I bought one of the Guillow's PT-17 kits years ago, and have yet to build it. My plan was to either do a C/L or possibly modify it for R/C. I've hear mixed results as to flight performance. Sticks look awfully thin compared to what I'm used to!!! Pin over the little sticks, not through them. Take it one step at a time, enjoy the build!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:21 PM
WALKERS210-RCU

Ok got the parts out of the trees and got out my dremel with wore out cutoff wheel to start the cutouts. Had a flash back 55yrs to when I used a double edge razor and tooth pick using Elmer glue. At that time I dot'n even know if a dremel knife was available or not and CA was still a few years away. But this is how far I have gotten to just a few min work and had to stop for night, at this rate it will take me longer to build than the time the acutal Skyraider took to build and fly. But at least it keeps me off the streets.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PA310805.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	1936173   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA310809.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1936174