Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to RC Touring Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:26 AM
LeeMus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC Touring Cars

Hi All,
I'm new to the whole RC world but want to get into RC cars.
I have just bought 3Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift Front Motor 1:10 4WD FR Touring KIT EP RC car.
Can anyone help me, I'm after buying all items for a touring car and I have no idea where to start with things like servo's, electrics etc.

Cheers
Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem at all, what kind of budget do you have? Or should I say what kind of equipment you are looking for...cheap, average, good, or top of the line? The difference in cost between cheap and top of the line can be staggering.

Assuming that you need everything, that will be...

A motor
A speed controller
A radio (transmitter and receiver)
A servo
A battery
A charger.

Let me know what level of recommendations you are looking for. Bearing in mind you could finish this car with anything between 200 bucks to a grand.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:41 PM
LeeMus

Hi Foxy, I'd be looking at average to begin with, then I'm going to upgrade once I get to grips with it all. Thank you for replying.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well, you have bought a drift car. So, fast servo....smooth motor/esc. You can go brushed for the motor and esc. But I know many choose a sensored brushless setup. Me, Id go brushed. No need for huge power on a drift car, and a decent brushed ESC and motor will provide enough torque and smooth enough response.
Fast servo is important...expecially with the front mount motor setup. Not sure what is considered a good servo....but anything racers would use should be fast enough for the drift car.
Radio....id go with something that had Expo and duel rates. That could give you finer adjustments to how the car reacts to your inputs.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 AM
Foxy

Yeh, nitrosports makes a good point. If you plan to always do only drifting with that car, then a brushed motor would be better for smooth throttle response, but if you plan to occasionally put rubber tires on it and use it for tearing up and down the street, or in a car park, you'll want a sensored brushless motor which can be smooth enough for drifting and still provide high power and speed on demand, but will be somewhat more expensive. I guess flexibility is what you need at the moment, so lets say a sensored brushless motor and esc combo around the 3000-4000kv mark (if you need an explanation of kv, have a look at the sticky at the top of the forum). The hobbywing spec sensored combo is good value. The other nice thing about this set is the inclusion of the programming card...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-js2.html

For a radio (transmitter), there is a cheap one that's great, the Flysky GT3B, it comes with a receiver and has the important adjustments you may want down the line.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

As nitrosports mentioned, you need a fast servo. When we say fast, we mean that it can quickly move through its full arc, left to right or vice versa. You will see this statistic listed as 'transit time' on servo specs, along with a torque rating (ounce-inches (oz-in) or kilogram centimeters (kg-cm)). Once again, if you want flexibility you will also need a little torque as well as decent speed. I've not used this servo, but for the price I'm going to suggest you give it a try, mainly to keep everything in one shop.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60gexidised2.html

For battery and charger, again from the same store, the Thunder AC6 is a decent mains powered lipo charger for a very good price...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

And lastly the battery...again keeping it all in that shop (these are good batteries, no compromise here), you might want to buy 2...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-40...-hardcase.html

With all this equipment you will be able to choose at will between drift and grip tires and still have good performance in either configuration. The only recommendation I'm not very happy with is the servo, but bear in mind to get any other servo of the same specs, you'll be looking at around $40 instead of $15, I say give it a try.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 AM
LeeMus

Many thanks Nitro and Foxy, I know its a drift but I'm wanting to make it a touring car. I only bought it as a friend of mine has one and he uses his for drift only, and it seemed like a really good budget set up.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:06 AM
Foxy

I thought you might. All that stuff I linked is fine for both drift and grip. Good luck.

edited, snip! better explanation below.

Last edited by Foxy; 11-14-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:18 AM
Foxy

Scratch all that, here's a better way of showing you what you need...in pictures...

For the battery when charging, simply use the supplied cable (supplied with the battery), and change the connector for a FEMALE Deans...the cable you end up with will look like this (you could always just buy this cable if you can't be bothered with soldering, but to get a plug is cheaper if you have skills or friends with soldering skills (a hobby shop can normally do soldering for you as well)...
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-...roducts/370168
You can also use this cable for running in the car, but keep the 2mm bullet and balance connector safe.

And for the charger...
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-...products/39237

If the ESC is not supplied with Deans, you just need to solder a MALE one on...get a couple of packs of these to have them around in case you need.
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-...roducts/371115

Last edited by Foxy; 11-14-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 AM
R32GolfTA06

A 10.5t motor is too fast for drifting, absolute maximum lowest brushless sensored motor you need is 13.5t and even with that it's a little fast.. 17.5t is the best and smoothies motor for perfect drifting,

flysky is is a great choice of radio gear and this couples with a high speed servo is ideal.. There is a servo made by Alturn which has strong metal gears and is fast and is cheap. I have one and find it superb

The charger mentioned above is a good choice. There is also a comparable one made by overlander rc6 vsp and comes will the relevant cables and attachments you need

I have an overlander 4250 2s battery which is great and cheap too

Last edited by R32GolfTA06; 11-14-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:27 AM
LeeMus

Thanks for your help Foxy, I want a touring car not drift. I'm currently waiting on the car to arrive but once it does I will be buying these items too.