Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

hanger 9 .60 size p-51 help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

hanger 9 .60 size p-51 help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 10:59 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hanger 9 .60 size p-51 help

hey guys i just wanna know how hard it is to fly this plane. i can fly a trainer no prob and a pizza box flyer no prob. i just ordered a 6 exa radio and i want a good looking WWII plane. i like planes that look nice and fly nice. thanks
Old 09-27-2003, 09:05 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: hanger 9 .60 size p-51 help

suggest you search for "h9 p51" and you will get tons of discussion about this plane. hte only thing i would add is i would use a 2 stroke engine as i had a saito 100 in mine, with 15% fuel, and it wouldn't idle low enough to easily land. but a decent 2 stroke idles slow enough to land this plane very easily. i now have a well broken in super tiger 90 in mine and love the way this engine flies this plane.

ed
Old 09-27-2003, 09:29 PM
glo-fuel addict

i flew my h9 p-51 two weeks ago and i thought it flew great.i had a better pilot than i to take the first flight and he liked it also.if you fly off grass,ditch the factory retracts and go ahead and get hd retracts,i'm glad i did.i have only flew this plane twice and can't wait to fly it again,poss.tomarrow.i say go ahead and get the h9 .60 size p-51 i don't think you will regret it.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

There is nothing at all hard about flying this plane. The only part that is tough is, if you are landing on a grass field, keeping the nose of the plane off the ground when you land.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Big Oakden
My Feedback: (3)

I have flown mine about 6 times.

Nice flyer, much stabler than the 40 size mustangs.

When I started looking for a warbird, i wanted one a little more stable than the .40 size birds, and a little easier to see. I feel that mine flyes very similar to my ultra stick .60 with the exception of landings. Landings are FAST ! I am still learning how to land mine so as I don't splat it all over the runway.

I'm using a YS-FZ.91 . This engine provides AMPLE Power, and with a lower pitch propeller (13x8 14x6) you should not have any problem landing the plane, if you have landed your planes "hot".

I am fortunate enough to have a paved runway, so I don't know of grass problems.

I was warned about weak landing gear connecting wires (from servo to Retract) being too soft and replaced both of these with 3/32" stainless steel rods. This took about 2 hours to successfully bend the new wires where they worked smoothly. But I have "Danced" the mustang on the gear on my first couple of landings without the gear folding.

Also be careful about using screws to hold down the canopy. This plane is built with a foam turtle deck (everthing behind the cockpit) and screws will not hold. I did not want to glue my canopy down as I ran the receiver antenna through the cockpit to the back of the pilot's seat and out of the canopy for a scale appearance.

Good luck in your decision for a warbird.

Dave Ogden
Old 09-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

I recommend using the Saito 100 in this plane. That is what the prototype used and that is what I am using. When set up correctly, that engine will run a long time at idle. I have no problem with mine. It is a great flying plane. I did install spring air retracts which I highly recommend. You can see pictures of my plane here on RC Universe as well as the installation of the retracts. You will really like the sound of the four stroke over the two stroke. Good luck.