Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
Reload this Page >

CG of Extra 300LX smaller original version - 84in wingspan

Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

CG of Extra 300LX smaller original version - 84in wingspan

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:47 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CG of Extra 300LX smaller original version - 84in wingspan

I have conflicting data. The original owner marked the CG point on the wings. That does not match the information I found in the PDF downloaded from the WH website. WH document says "front half of wing tube". The marks are about 2-1/4" inches in front of that towards the leading edge.

Does anyone still have that plane and/or the assembly manual. I know you are hording it somewhere.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited by on_your_six; 10-05-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 AM
on_your_six

I had hoped for some help... anybody???? I need the CG point for the older version.. I tried sending a message to Wild Hare, no response since sending last Thursday.

I put an electric start kit on the plane.. thought you might enjoy seeing this. The added nose weight makes me want to know CG for sure. Original owner put CG marks on the plane that do not agree with the WH website. I would buy a new Wild Hare in a second, but we all know that is not happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMesxW6RKi4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by on_your_six; 10-03-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual is correct. If the original owner had the cg 2" behind the wing tube he must have been into hovering. But my specs are just to make the first flight safe, you can adjust to your taste.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:45 AM
on_your_six

Ooops, I had that wrong... the previous owner's CG marks were 2-1/4" ahead of the wing spar. To me that would make a very nose heavy plane if you balanced around those marks. I am going to fly it with it balanced at the wing tube... slightly forward per the manual. I should know tomorrow.

I still have not heard from Wild Hare. I did buy a engine cowl from them... so ??

And I would buy a plane, when they get ready to make an order.

Last edited by on_your_six; 10-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

UMMM......RCTom IS Wild Hare.......................
Old 10-09-2013, 03:28 PM
on_your_six

Thanks AstroHog... my problem is that I have version 1 of the plane and version 2 of the manual. When putting up a $2,500 plane, I would at least like to know that my data is good.

I just need to know if they are the same. and I stubbed my toe by not explaining my problem correctly.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:06 AM
on_your_six

Does anyone have the manual that came with the Extra 300LX. I am looking for the first version not the version with a wood ring in the engine cowl.

I tried using the front half of the wing tube as the C.G. point and the plane is so nose heavy that I am afraid to add more tail weight to balance it.... something is very wrong.

Please respond.

I am trying to be patient, it is ready, I want to fly it. I edited my original post to correct it, as I stated the problem wrong.

Last edited by on_your_six; 10-18-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine CG is on the center of the wing tube. Mine has a G62 in it and rudder servo moved to rear and still needed another 4oz of tail weight. Your starter must be heavy. Maybe a carbo fiber spinner and prop will help.....

mine is the first 84" version but no specific manual only the generic one.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:55 PM
on_your_six

Wow, ok, sounds like you own the plane ... I can move my batteries back a bit more and maybe a bit of weight on the tail. I just get awfully nervous about adding any tail weight. I have a Beila CF prop and an aluminum truturn spinner on the nose.

You are not located too far from me. You fly at the Frederick field? Wish me luck.

Last edited by on_your_six; 10-18-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread or not but here goes. I still regularly fly a V1 Extra 300 special and it remains one of my all time favorite airplanes. Certainly not the best airplane that was ever produced but something about it keeps me putting it at the front of the list of airplanes that regularly go to the field.

I have a copy of the instructions that came with that kit. Rev. 1.08 dated June 25, 2004. In it and stated in step 13, they called for a CG of 2 1/2" to 3" behind the LE at the wingtip. Many users moved that back even further to 3 1/2" or even closer to 4". This puts the CG right at the front edge of the wing tube. I believe this is where the CG is on mine but I have not checked it in years. It could be ever farther back towards the center of the wing tube as over the years I removed the ignition battery (now use a IBEC) and moved the main single LiFe battery farther back behind the canopy. At any rate, this airplane will tolerate a very wide range of CG but will be much happier if not nose heavy. I first flew mine with the CG quite far forward and it was a snapping fool on landing. Moved it back and it became a ***** cat and will almost land itself. I often kid it could sometimes land itself better if I didn't disturb its approach and thats not stretching the truth by much.

In summary, I'd probably start with the CG right at the front of the wing tube and move it back from there to suit your flying style. By the way, the LX had a much tamer, more rounded edge airfoil than the Extra Special. I flew the LX a few times but much preferred the Special. Both are excellent airplanes.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:26 AM
on_your_six

Thank you for responding Truckracer...

You have answered the question about the forward marking of the CG on my plane and let me know that it is possibly the oldest plane in my hangar. I am sorry if I ruffled Tom's feathers with my posts and I want to thank him for his help.

One good thing is that I learned a lot about CG and patience in putting this bird into the air. If I had not put the 19oz of starter motor on the plane, I would not have questioned anything and just flown the plane. The "snapping fool" condition may be the reason this plane was not flown much and survives to this day. I had always wanted a Wild Hare but economic conditions forced them to cease production before I could get it together.

I would like to point out that the CG balancer for large planes it a great tool. There are also two good websites that I will cite as sources of good information; 1.) http://www.theampeer.org/cg/cg.html 2.) http://home.mindspring.com/~the-plum...%20Machine.htm

There was another site that got me started investigating MAC; http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...amic_chord.htm

The first web site includes some CG calculators that some will find useful if a bit intimidating because of the number of measurements needed. Learning about (MAC Mean Aerodynamic Chord) was interesting. I certainly enjoyed the math that was not difficult. The second website cited describes a method of hanging the airplane from string and a wooden block using a plumb bob to indicate the CG. I made the block but have not used the method yet.

Again, thank you for responding.

)

Last edited by on_your_six; 10-27-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Tim Holley
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my wild hare used ,and he said it was the LX,but it looks like the old version (red with blue and white ) . I have all hitec dig servos with the Big rudder servo up front with pull pull . DA 50cc and A-123 battery just behind wing tube. it balances at 3'3/4 on the wing tip. The manual says 2'1/2 to 3" .....Im just wanting to find out where every one has theirs balanced !!!! I have flown tail heavy planes before , and some that was un-landable , so I would like to keep this one for a while.
Any help would be appreciated .

Tim