Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Best Truck for Bashing around $600?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:09 PM
0x001A4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Truck for Bashing around $600?

I'm looking for a RC truck for bashing so I want something durable and with lots of optional parts. A model that comes in a kit would be great because I'd love to build it, but RTR is ok.

I've owned an HPI Firestorm 10T and it was good but I kept having problems with the little paper exhaust gaskets.

I'm open to nitro or electric. I was considering a Baja 5B SS because of the ease of tuning and break in. But after seeing the Losi 5ive compared to it, I'm not sure if its worth it lol.

I was then looking at the Savage Flux or X 4.6. I think the Flux would cost about as much as a Baja 5B SS after I add the batteries and charger.

What are your suggestions for around $600? What about other brands? I dont much about any of the others.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3. It's got a few minor quirks that need solving, but after that, it puts all the rest to shame. It has quite a few option parts, and some of the ST-1 option parts will fit too, but be careful, check before you buy. But at the end of the day, its a 1/8 truggy with big tires. It doesn't need any upgrades to be durable. Upgrade if and when you break. I've owned the Savage Flux, spent $1500 total on it, and still wasn't completely happy with it. A friend has the MT4, its a beast. He actually bought my Flux to put up as a shelf queen. Twas a pretty truck I must say, but couldn't take 6S, too heavy. Here's a pic of my old Flux, sadly it didn't go as good as it looked...

Old 01-11-2014, 05:15 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend the Hpi Baja clones... they are very worth... they are 2/3 the price of a HPI BAJA SS and just as good

yes u are right u cant really compare them to the losi 5ive... but remember the losi is $1000 more...

best value seems to be the New 1/5 LOSI desert buggy... but that's $999.99
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM
0x001A4

Foxy, the MT4 G3 looks pretty awesome.

phmaximus, do you know how the Desert Buggy XL compares to a Baja 5B? I know the Desert Buggy is 4WD vs the Bajas 2WD, but the Baja also has a 26cc engine vs the 23cc in the DBXL. The Baja kit is cheaper and would be more fun to build. I'm curious about durability and speed?
Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Large Larry

The MT4 G3 isn't as durable out of the box as some people say. I have a friend who has one and he bent the chassis from doing some pretty mild jumps, he doubled up on the chassis plate and added a chassis brace, he hasn't had the same problem since but that was at a cost of around $100. It also needs stronger hinge pins, he broke one of them during his first run. He replaced those with some hot bodies 4mm ones. It's not a bad truck but it does need some work. I almost bought one myself when the hype for them was big about a year ago, but after seeing what he went though I decided not to.

I'm not to big on supporting the clones either, they might be decent but they are never as good as the real thing and in my eyes they are basically stealing money from HPI who were the ones who put in the hard yards with R&D costs.

If you want something huge check out the Rival, it hasn't been out all that long but it's based of the MGT so it's got good parts support. I also like the look of the new Vaterra Halix, it's very early days for this one, it's not as big but it has a pretty neat feature called active vehicle control (AVC) which acts kinda like a gyro helping to keep the wheels straight at high speeds, this can also easily be turned off if you want full control. The Stampede is also an option, again not as big but it's been out forever so parts and upgrades are plentiful. There's a few others like the E-Revo, Summit (not all that fast) and as you already mentioned the Savage, but with batteries those are a bit north of your budget and it's always good to leave a little room for parts when they break, and if you drive like me they will break.

The truth is there's no real "best basher" they all have their issues, some more than others. You should do your own research on what ever is suggested to you and find out what you're in store for from people who have owned them.

Last edited by Large Larry; 01-12-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
turok007

i have the mt4 g3 well i have 2 and all did was fit the chassis brace and it is working. from all the forums i have been on the only issues are stock hinge pins are rubbish. but mine have held up. the chassis brace is a must if your going to jump it. many people are running it with 6s and it holds up very well. i run 4s and it is enough. it has held up a lot better than my traxxas revo.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by turok007
i have the mt4 g3 well i have 2 and all did was fit the chassis brace and it is working. from all the forums i have been on the only issues are stock hinge pins are rubbish. but mine have held up. the chassis brace is a must if your going to jump it. many people are running it with 6s and it holds up very well. i run 4s and it is enough. it has held up a lot better than my traxxas revo.
Not sure if you're talking about the Revo 3.3 or the E-Revo but the same friend of mine who has the MT4 G3 also has an E-Revo. All he's ever done to it is add shims to the diffs and replace the bumpers and bumper mounts with RPM, he also replaced the tires with Badlands. He's hardly ever had a problem with it, he has had a few spur gears chewed up from the motor moving after landing some big jumps but after adding thread lock to the motor mount screw that hasn't been an issue. I've thought about getting one myself but the price has put me off, since Traxxas now sells a lot of their stuff without batteries it's back on my radar though, I'll have to see how much I get back after doing my taxes.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:48 PM
phmaximus

Originally Posted by 0x001A4
Foxy, the MT4 G3 looks pretty awesome.

phmaximus, do you know how the Desert Buggy XL compares to a Baja 5B? I know the Desert Buggy is 4WD vs the Bajas 2WD, but the Baja also has a 26cc engine vs the 23cc in the DBXL. The Baja kit is cheaper and would be more fun to build. I'm curious about durability and speed?
Its said that performance wise its compares very closely to the losi 5ive. so saying that its probably light years a head in performance compared to a Baja
I wouldent be worried about the motor size... it really makes bugger all difference...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT9_5bJrsPg check this...if ur still feel the motor it to small...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rovan-30-...item3f2193a36d

and there are a few videos on youtube
Old 01-13-2014, 08:36 AM
turok007

Originally Posted by Large Larry
Not sure if you're talking about the Revo 3.3 or the E-Revo but the same friend of mine who has the MT4 G3 also has an E-Revo. All he's ever done to it is add shims to the diffs and replace the bumpers and bumper mounts with RPM, he also replaced the tires with Badlands. He's hardly ever had a problem with it, he has had a few spur gears chewed up from the motor moving after landing some big jumps but after adding thread lock to the motor mount screw that hasn't been an issue. I've thought about getting one myself but the price has put me off, since Traxxas now sells a lot of their stuff without batteries it's back on my radar though, I'll have to see how much I get back after doing my taxes.
i was on about the E revo i will just say that i got over jumping RC cars off of high ramps and going mega fast on every car i have owned a long time ago. so now i really look after my cars and i treat them a lot better than most people. but the revo is just a pain. it has design faults but what really gets me is the shafts and the rear bulk head. also the car is built solid but it just isn't solid enough. if it wasn't for the fact that parts are easy to get hold of i would of got rid of my last one a long while ago. i have owned about 4 E revos and i s till own one and 3 3.3 revos. (WARNING) donlesn't get the revo if you want to just run 6s and perform power wheelies or back flips. unless you fance buying new tires every few seconds. lol
Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh by the way, I completely forgot to mention what a disappointment the HPI Baja is to me. I don't care how much flak I get for it, it's a total nightmare to work on, it handles badly and does nothing but rooster tails well. Buy it because you love its style, otherwise you might be disappointed. Since I'm being controversial, I might as well be really controversial and go further to say that the HPI Baja 5B is the Beatles of the RC world. The Beatles, nothing but two talented songwriters and a couple of other guys who could barely play their instruments, they just did the right thing at the right time and set the world on fire. Fair play to them and I'll always respect that, but the bottom line is that technically, they weren't that good. Remind you of any large scale RCs? Does me. And I'm sorry to pimp (actually no I;m not ), but once again, I'm talking from experience... I don't own this any more either as it happens, but I bought it new RTR and spent $2k on it, never loved it, except the way it looked, was easy to sell it...I have no doubt the Losi 4x4 is a better platform.

I have exceptionally high standards these days, it can be a bad thing, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Foxy; 01-13-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM
0x001A4

Foxy, thanks for that answer. I didn't even know about the Desert Buggy XL prior to this thread. So after it was suggested I looked into it and then started debating between the Baja 5B and DB XL. I know they're way out of my $600 question, but I was originally going to get the Baja. When I thought the Losi 5ive was the only 1/5 worth buying, I started looking at monster trucks for around $600 (figured I might as well save some coin too).

But now I'm certain I am going to go for the DBXL.

Thanks for the suggestions all! It's much appreciated.

EDIT: Oh by the way, that is a bad ass looking Baja
Old 01-13-2014, 06:42 PM
phmaximus

I agree Foxy 100%... and will add the HPI Baja has done wonders to making 1/5 more popular and making it more affordable. They have like a cult status

but... The losi 5ive rocked the world... not as popular with bashers but it has shown that u can have awesome performance at a decent price. One thing that has helped... most the little goodies they developed for the Baja's motor works with all the other gas motors..... like the carby breather hole filter, outerweres, velocity stacks, filters,head kits, turbo cranks,oh the list goes on...

I love my losi 5ive..... Out of all the cars ive ever owned or currently own. Its the only one that gets the adrenaline rush we all crave... no kidding at first I can feel my heart pumping and I get a little shaky.....I love it......lol

Looking at the Desert buggy XL its awesome. its got the same great features as the five and some improvements over the 5ive. it lighter and more open for better cooling...

Its so worth saving up for....

I know its not a kit... but don't trust losi... if its like the 5ive... I strongly recommend rebuilding it before u start it... I know it sounds crazy. but its a absolute must for the 5ive.