Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR11X setup for DS821 servo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR11X setup for DS821 servo

I have one DS821 servo cycle -arm moves then returns - when i first turn on power. Is it a set up issue with my TX or a bad servo?
It works fine after that and the other 4 servos dont cycle.

Thanks
Keith
Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have DS821's on the other channels, have you tried swapping the troublesome servo with another and see what happens. Some servos seem to twitch on startup more than others. On the other hand if the servo actually cycles, it could be you set the channel’s failsafe position different from the one you normally have the transmitter set at on startup. If it cycles, try rebinding the receiver.

I have experienced nothing unusual with my 11X.

Allan
Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Corsair2013

Yesterday I took the plane out and it seemed to work okay. However, I crashed the plane on take off - not good - but luckily the damage was not as bad as I first thought.

It is a Hangar 9 50 Corsair.

Luckily I have a new wing and the damaged one can be repaired - with some time. The fuselage is okay with just broken motor mount.

I will be testing all the servos again during the re-build so I will see if it continues to act up and compare it to the others. I have a servo tester so I can hang some weight on it and let it cycle and power up and down quickly with a switch to see if it will still cycle.

Will also rebind multiple times just in case!

Thanks

Keith
Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 AM
grizzly59

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
Yesterday I took the plane out and it seemed to work okay. However, I crashed the plane on take off - not good - but luckily the damage was not as bad as I first thought.

It is a Hangar 9 50 Corsair.

Luckily I have a new wing and the damaged one can be repaired - with some time. The fuselage is okay with just broken motor mount.

I will be testing all the servos again during the re-build so I will see if it continues to act up and compare it to the others. I have a servo tester so I can hang some weight on it and let it cycle and power up and down quickly with a switch to see if it will still cycle.

Will also rebind multiple times just in case!

Thanks

Keith
Is that a 50cc gas plane? If so those servos are not powerful enough.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Corsair2013

Grizzly - no it is not a 50cc gas plane. It is a 56" wing span using a electric motors and the DS821 works just fine. I have flown the plane many times.

Also the servo I am having issues with is being used as the Gear Servo to actuate the air valve for my air retracts. I know it is way overkill but I had an extra and no need to buy a new one.

I am wondering now if maybe it is too big and that is causing the problem.

Keith

Originally Posted by grizzly59
Is that a 50cc gas plane? If so those servos are not powerful enough.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
Grizzly - no it is not a 50cc gas plane. It is a 56" wing span using a electric motors and the DS821 works just fine. I have flown the plane many times.

Also the servo I am having issues with is being used as the Gear Servo to actuate the air valve for my air retracts. I know it is way overkill but I had an extra and no need to buy a new one.

I am wondering now if maybe it is too big and that is causing the problem.

Keith
Well it's not the servo causing your problem. It's the fact that the servo travel has been reversed from normal and you did not rebind the rx after setup. This was a VERY common issue with the Spektrum 2.4GHz radio stuff when it came out and there is a note in the manual about rebinding your model when finish and periodically if you make any substantial changes.

What happens is that when first turned on and before it links with the tx, the rx will drive the servos to their bind position. If you've not rebound after finishing your setup and the gear servo (or any other servo for that matter which has had it's normal travel reversed) will go to the retract position and upon linking with the tx will go to it's extend position.

Just rebind the thing with the gear down, it'll quit doing it and you'll be fine....
Old 02-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Corsair2013

Fixed it! I thought I had bound it after all the adjustments but I guess I didn't.

Thanks!

Keith

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well it's not the servo causing your problem. It's the fact that the servo travel has been reversed from normal and you did not rebind the rx after setup. This was a VERY common issue with the Spektrum 2.4GHz radio stuff when it came out and there is a note in the manual about rebinding your model when finish and periodically if you make any substantial changes.

What happens is that when first turned on and before it links with the tx, the rx will drive the servos to their bind position. If you've not rebound after finishing your setup and the gear servo (or any other servo for that matter which has had it's normal travel reversed) will go to the retract position and upon linking with the tx will go to it's extend position.

Just rebind the thing with the gear down, it'll quit doing it and you'll be fine....