Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

How much weight would I save etc. etc.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

How much weight would I save etc. etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 08:28 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default How much weight would I save etc. etc.

I am toying with the idea of having an electronic ignition system installed on my G23 and G45 engines.

Which is the best suited sytem for these engines and how much weight would I save in doing this modification including the ignition battery. What are the primary gains of electronic ignition systems other than weight savings.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much weight would I save etc. etc.

Of the two you listed, I have a G23 converted to CH Ignition. I don't know how much weigh it saved, since mine was bought as a NIB glow version. Besides the ignition module, the weight gain vs. the glow version is maybe 2-3 Oz. at most, so you can figure it from there.

Weight savings on other engines really depends on how heavy the magneto parts are, but up to 1lbs is very typical in the G45 range. Yes the ignition module and battey pack do offset some of the weight savings, but those can be placed behind the firewall and battery technology these days allow for packs that weigh next to nothing.

As for other gains. Another important one is lower idle and improved transition. You may also gain some top end power but not guaranteed. Easier starting is alnother one. For those tinkerers, elec ign also allows you to tweak the timing for best power/running. On most 2stroker engines, elec ign will also allow you to set it up to run clockwise - for multi- or pusher engine apps.

Did I miss any?
Old 10-04-2003, 09:00 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much weight would I save etc. etc.

When starting an engine with electronic ignition, you get a full strength spark with just a gentle flip. With a magneto, you need a strong flip to generate the spark.

Tom