Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 35 RA choke question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:29 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DLE 35 RA choke question?

I have a new DLE 35 and I noticed it has a lobe cast into the engine case. I have to assume by it's positioning that it is a support for a choke control. This is actually a great idea, and simplifies the install for me if this is the case.
My question, For those that are using it, what type of pushrod are you using? My concern is metal on metal contact if I just throw a piece of music wire through there. I have a carbon rod I may use, but then I have to figure out a durable termination (clevis) that will not fail with vibration. Any thoughts on this item, and any solutions that have been devised?
Old 06-07-2014, 03:04 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what Futaba has on their website as of today. Of course there are plenty of guys on RCU who think they know more than Futaba. The choice is yours. Dan.

Guidelines for setting up gasoline engine models. All ignition equipment, including an electronic kill switch, must be mounted at least 12", and preferably 14", away from all radio equipment, including throttle servos, etc. Ignition kill switch should always be on opposite side of fuselage from radio kill switch. All pushrods going to anything related to the engine must be non-conductive (just nonmetal clevises is not sufficient).
Old 06-07-2014, 10:03 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Running a wire push rod from the choke arm to the front of the cowl would be the way to go. You are correct that DLE has provided a guide for you to do just that. I did the same on a DA 50 and DLE 55 install without issue. CF would be a bad idea for the choke as the high frequency vibration would cause it to break just outside the guide. For throttle I use a CF rod though. I have found you can use JB weld to glue threaded couplers onto .090 CF rod or you can find tubes with .01 ID and epoxy 4-40 rod at the ends.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With all due respect to All Day Dan and Futaba, if those recommendations were adhered to not one of my friggin planes would take to the air.
ALL of my gassers have a metal pushrod to the front or rear left side of the cowl.
Before DLE made a lug I would cut a small strip of aluminium and fix it between the hex bolt and the front of the stand off tab, this would have glow fuel insert and a metal pushrod in the centre.
I normally use dubro 4-40 ball link on any connection, so that's what would go on the choke arm.

I use Futaba Faast 2.4 and have never lost a radio link since switching to Futaba, that whole 5 years flying 12 gassers and a few glows
I don't have one of the new DLE's with that choke rod tab, would that accommodate a fuel tube sleeve?

Last edited by 3136; 06-08-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Rocketman_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3136
With all due respect to All Day Dan and Futaba, if those recommendations were
adhered to not one of my friggin planes would take to the air.
ALL of my gassers have a metal pushrod to the front or rear left side of the
cowl. ...
I agree with 3163. Those recommendations cannot be accommodated in every
plane. It appears that my setups with metal pushrods are very similar to his.
All of my radios are Futaba and fortunately they have never experienced any
problems with my equipment arrangements and gas engines on 72MHz or 2.4GHz.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1_PTE Pushrod.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	2002854   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_PTE Pushrod.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	2002855   Click image for larger version

Name:	3_PTE Pushrod.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	2002856  
Old 06-09-2014, 12:05 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks as though there is some sort of bushing inside the choke lobe. I am not sure what kind of material it is though. It is really pretty small. I suppose there is enough meat there to drill it out a bit bigger to use some kind of rubber grommet.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That bump on the side of the DLE case is really not a choke lobe .... though many use it for that purpose including myself in some cases. It is put there to help align the front and back crankcase halves. The metal you find in the hole is a steel roll pin. Once the engine is assembled, it really has no purpose and you could punch or drill out the roll pin if desired. If you drill it just big enough to pass a 2-56 pushrod, the pin is still functional for its intended purpose if the engine ever needs service.

With all that said, there are several engines on the market that have purpose made, cast in place choke rod bushings. The DLE just isn't one of them.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by All Day Dan
Here's what Futaba has on their website as of today. Of course there are plenty of guys on RCU who think they know more than Futaba. The choice is yours. Dan.

Guidelines for setting up gasoline engine models. All ignition equipment, including an electronic kill switch, must be mounted at least 12", and preferably 14", away from all radio equipment, including throttle servos, etc. Ignition kill switch should always be on opposite side of fuselage from radio kill switch. All pushrods going to anything related to the engine must be non-conductive (just nonmetal clevises is not sufficient).
That was written in the days of 72. Believe it or not there are still people that use 72, so that remains on the Futaba site.
It is totally irrelevant if you use 2.4ghz. It was ultra conservative for 72