Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

arf antenna tube

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

arf antenna tube

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:23 PM
kinahora
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arf antenna tube

Working on an ARF which came with a piece of fuel line running from servo compartment thru the roof of fuse to mount antenna to tail. Whats the best way to thread the antenna thru the fuel line?

Hal
Old 09-29-2003, 05:59 PM
bakes65

Default RE: arf antenna tube

Hal,

Three things come to mind.

A. Slit the fuel line with an exacto knife and force the antenna wire into the slit.

b. Depending on the contours of the fuel line you could also possibly insert a nylon control rod through the fuel line. If it will make it all the way, CA the antennae to the inside of the control rod and pull it back through to the tail.

c. Replace the fuel line with a more orthodox set up. There is a set up which runs the antenna through the fuse and then attaches to the tail with a rubber band and hook assembly. Neat and fairly clean installation.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:24 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I like Bakes option "C".....which is what I normally use....but if you do decide to use the fuel tubing, you could insert the antenna through the tube BEFORE you install the tube.....this way, you can lay it down flat and straight....should be easy to get the antenna through the tubing this way.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the fuel line is already installed, you might be able to put a fuzzy knot in the end of a piece of string then suck that up thru the tube with a vacuum cleaner hose then use the string to pull the antenna thru. I've also taken a very small diameter wire (1/32 inch music wire) and pushed it thru the tube, hot stuffed the antenna to it, then pulled the wire back out with the antenna attached. You need to smooth off the end of the wire in order to push it thru. If the diameter of the tube is large enough, bend an hairpin curve in the end that you push thru.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:21 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run my antenna wire through a short piece of fuel tubing. I found that lubricating the tubing with alchohol makes the wire slide through easily. If this doesn't work you can always drink it (grain, that is).
Old 10-01-2003, 11:34 AM
ekrcflyer

I usually use the "electrician's method"

Run a thin stiff wire through the fuel tube, attach it to the antenna and pull "this thing" back (push antenna wire wile pulling).
Old 10-01-2003, 02:43 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have taken a needle and thread, slipped the needle through the tube. The weight of the needle lets it thread pretty easily. Tak the needle and carefully push the needle into the end of the antennae, then pull it back through. No tape to catch the edge on, or knot to grab on to anything. It has worked for me many times.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:24 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

I run a piece of solder through the tube from the back and then use a smal piece of heat shrink to attach the antenna wire to the solder. Pull it back through and then remove the solder/heat shrink. Piece of cake!
Old 10-05-2003, 09:03 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I guess I use the sleeve of Sullivans golden rod. Works great.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Phi3l

If it's a short piece of fuel tubing, you should be able to push the antenna wire through form the inside.

At the tail I use a rubber band and a piece of servo arm as a strain relief. I hook the rubber band over a T pin pushed into the top of the vertical fin.

Phil in MN[8D]