Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rs4 3 SS VS. Rs 40

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 10:27 PM
ShOzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rs4 3 SS VS. Rs 40

ii am heavily thinking of joining in on road to go with my off road collection.

i have now, a hyper 7, an mbx pro, a savage SS, and a Rs4 MT.

had an ofna ld3 onroad but hated the tear down to get to the diffs.

i have narrowed my search down i think to these 2 onroad cars, both seem in my ranger $ wise (the rs4 3 more so then the other.)

anyway. for a new comer who will use it more in the parking lot then on a track, maybe once a month on the track as i will still be dirt mostly.

which would be more fun, less headache but still let me race if i decide to join in the fun?

also if the rs 40 is chosen, any engine suggestions? faster the better.

also, anyone know top speeds of stock rs4 3 ss ?

what i really want is a proceed but that i think will tap my wallet a bit to deep.
plus can you race it in 10th scale races? i doubt it.

if there is something i am over looking that is in the same price range but way better and easier to get to the diffs and such let me know??

also what are your opinions on this engine for it?
http://ofna.com/eng-picco7port.html

will it work and if so is it one of the faster engines i can pick up for it?

what does the stock engine sell for on the rs4 3 ss ?
Old 10-02-2003, 02:46 AM
migueloo

Default RE: Rs4 3 SS VS. Rs 40

i have an rs4 ss and a r40 and the r40 has much better handling, even on parking lots. if you want to bash it, you have to buy new tires and raise the height. i am running a novarossi ns3 in my car. it is really fast, it reaches top speed very quick. in the r40 you only need to take 6 screws to get to the front diffs and 9 to get to the rear.

the picco that you post is a turbo, so you can't race it
i think that you won't like the tc3 either because its the same design as the ld3

you can't race a proceed in 1/10th classes. the proceed is a 1/8th, like the mugen mrx-3 and serpent 950. but the price is high. they cost about $600 only for the chassis, you would need an engine, pipe, battery, starter box, electronics. and that would set you close to a grand
Old 10-02-2003, 03:38 AM
HaVok

I think the SS is more basher and the R40 more track. Shaft better for parking lots i think cause dont jam up with rocks like the belts. if you want to race though i have an R40 and great handling but i dont know if i would use it as a basher. Not to say you couldnt. But like "migueloo" said need to raise it up a bit and trade in the foam tires for rubbers.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:00 AM
dodgy Guy who luvs rc

im look in to R40 looks good
Old 10-02-2003, 08:05 AM
ShOzz

if i order online i ca g et either for about 259.

i as the way to go though?

belts need replacing? shafts don't.

so what is the SS lacking besides adjustability?

what adjustabilty does it have over the SS

with the proceed sounds like it would be hard to find compitition for it seeing the price and all.

why would that .12 i listed not be raceable?

how about this one?
http://ofna.com/eng-picco-roar.html
Old 10-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Aggdaddy

Hey Shozz, you can see my SS at Lunatics this Saturday. I think I'll be racing this weekend. I have the white Lotus body. I have made some upgrades to it. But there are a few limitations. Some drawbacks too. I would definitly go for the r40, if you get the SS and r40 at the same price.

First off the SS's engine layout is awkward to say the least. It is on the right side of the car. That limits you greatly to the variety of exhaust pipes an manifolds. You have to get the Graphite top plate to make the SS even close to race worthy. The two speed shifter is kinda shady and using a slide carb doesn't work well for too many people unless you can make the right mods.
I don't have an R40, but since you aren't exactly a beginner at RC mechanics and driving, go for the r40. If you was just starting out, then you would appreciate the r40 more once you had the SS. [&:]

Don't bother with that Proceed unless you are planning on drag racing. There aren't any tracks big enough to handle that one.

Oh and as far as I know, you can only use normal threaded shaft engines. SG shafts won't fit on the SS unless you get some kind of aftermarket flywheel. R40 will take it though.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:47 PM
migueloo

i have bashed my r40 a lot of times and nothing has hapened to it so far. the suspension on the r40 is fully adjustable without changing any parts. on the ss you have to change a couple of parts. the ss uses dogbones for the drivetrain and they sometimes bend. on the tc3, the shaft bends on a crash.
the engine that you first posted is a turbo head and has 7 ports. that is not roar legal. but you can race it in open mod class. but there, people would have much better engines. the picco turbo has 1.5hp and 42,000 rpm and the novarossi ns3 has about the same power and rpm, but its a "regular" 3 port race engine. the pico roar leagal would work.
i've spend like 800 on my r40 to get it runnig, including the electroincs.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Nitroaddict

shozz - while the R40 is a FAR better car, and much more suitable for racing, u mentioned that u were on a budget. Keep in mind, that while the SS will set you back about 280.00 not including electronics, the R40 will push closer to 500.00 if u use a high end engine, and will require much more maintanence. If you plan on getting serious with on road racing, go with the R40, but if u just want something fun, stay with the SS. Oh, and to answer your question about the Proceed, its gonna set u back about 1400.00 for everything, and u will be out of your league trying to race it, as the 1/8th class is where the bad boys hang.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:28 PM
psykosavage

Hey Shozz,

If you go SS you can always trade up later right ...

Oh and nitroaddict... you haven't seen Shozz drive... A few laps around and he would hang with da big dogs... LOL...
Old 10-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Wild Gopher

Hey Shozz, I would go with the R40 and run a MT-12 engine or the new novarossi. I watched the R40 at revelation during the ROAR nats and that thing hung with the big dogs (Serpent and Mugen).
Did you end up getting your savage going at revelation last week? You seem to be having an assload of problems with it. That new .25 engine, if tuned and tweaked right, can be just as lethal as the Picco .26. I raced Saturday at the savage slam and the winner of unlimited ran a .25 and it held up consistantly. I ended up taking 6th overall in the unlimited A-main
Old 10-02-2003, 09:56 PM
ShOzz

oh man, ok,

this morning i had decided to go ahead with the rs4 3 ss.

now after today at work and tonight reading this i am rethinking again. lol

aggdaddy: what time sat will you be there? i have to bring my son to a birthday party that afternoon. maybe i can swing by to see some of these in action before i go. are there r-40's running there as well normally?

as of now i am only familiar with a slide carb, i have yet to use anything else.

i would classify myself as intermediate, i can build and normally solve most issues without ever going to the lhs for help, although i do come and bug all you here for help. ha ha ha !!! seems i am becoming an addict to this hobby more every week.

i enjoy the buggys and off road because there is no real reason to adjust them all the time, but from what i understand, onraod that is a big part of the fun in it? so in the future that might come in handy? at least i would not need to sell the SS for a better onroad car if i went that way and did get more into racing.

knowing that the proceed would cost that much and that there is nowhere local to race it kills that idea, although it would have been sick to have.

as far as the SS using a dog bone, i was using my buds ld3 today which uses one also and that things was insane fast, had to be pushing 60 mph plus. will the stock engine and gearing in the SS get it into the 50's? or close?

can someone post a few of the fastest race legal engines on tower or other places that list specs and prices? what makes one legal or illeagle anyway?

psykosavage: that's what i am afraid of, getting the SS and then in one month wanting more ... trading up and starting over. i have been going crazy with all the rc car ****, i am screwed when i take the next step getting a boat or plane. lol i figure if there is a chance i will want to upgrade to the r 40 at all then it would be better in the long run on my wallet to just get it 1st.
as far as keeping up with the big boys, i apprciate the compliment on the driving but it's a lot different then the dirt, every time i turn in the parking lot the thing does a 360 unless i slow down, lol.

gopher, what is the mt-12 engine? fast? who makes it? i like the fact that it (the r-40 can hang with the more expensive cars, i looked at those too but dang, more then i can spare on a hobby. i never did get the savage to go again that night. i replaced the one way again, and all has been going great since i flew back to texas. popping lots of weelies and getting some great top speed. not as high end as the picco 26 but seems a lot more stable then the picco as far as out of turns and stuff. should have some time sunday to hit a local track. (fasttrack)
how was the savage slam, did they do more then just race?

summed up: i have a fm radio, can just buy 2 servos, reciever, 5 cell battery pack.
either car i will need those.

on top of that i can get the SS for about 260-300 (i assume that comes with a body?)
end up buying a pipe or engine one day if i want to race and maybe more hop ups and tires.

or

get the r40 for 260-300,
get an engine 100-170, pipe-header 40-80, body 20, and wheels 20-30 for the parking lot.

i would assume that would cover most?
can anyone addto these two list?

i think best bet will be try and get to the track either friday night after work and see what's there or sat when aggdaddy will be there to see the SS in person.

wait till after the weekend and make the choice.

damn , damn , damn, i hate not being sure of myself ..lol

again thank you all for the input and please keep it coming.....

damn that was a small book.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:02 PM
ShOzz

oh and again, is a belt better then shaft or vice versa?
the ld3 screams with a shaft, do belts need to be replaced a lot?
3 belt system sounds like a lot of extra room for error where one shaft seems easier?

am i mistaken?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:54 AM
migueloo

Novarossi : NS12 S3 NS12 S5
POWER : 1.52 H.P. 1.60 H.P.
R.P.M. 41.000 43.500
PRATICAL RANGE : 3.800/43.500 3.800/45.000
PORTS : 3 5
price : 250 260

you forgot to add a high speed servo
ko propo high speed: $80

the ld3 uses a one shaft and the ss uses 2 dogbones. there is more drag on the ss than on the ld3 or tc3.

if you get the r40, good engine, pipe, and 2 high speed servos. it will cost you about 700. if you are going to race, you have to get the high speed servos. the regular ones are too slow and too weak.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:20 AM
HaVok

Also no one has mentioned that the R40 was designed for a groomed surface. If you going to race go R40, if your going to bash go Type SS. You'll most likely have more problems with the R40 bashing then the SS. I have the R40 and race with a TOP TN12 S1 and it flies. To do more bashing then racing on a groomed track I recommend the SS or a nitro TC3. TC3 is also shaft drive and will do better on a track with less work. Have you considered the TC3?
Old 10-03-2003, 07:33 AM
ShOzz

i will be in the parking lot more then the track, i have lots of extra time during work to go outside and mess around in ahuge parking lot.

maybe if i i am lucky maybe a race once a month.

i have not looked at the tc3 very much, just more of a glance.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Wild Gopher

Ah, more for the parking lot go with either the SS or the NTC3. I thought you were looking for a race only car. either one of those 2 is great for parking lot. As for the MT-12, it is a nova rossi engine put out by Mugen. I believe it puts out about 1.25 HP.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:38 PM
ShOzz

thanks gopher those are the two i narrowed it down to after today at the hobby shop.

gunna try and go to the races tomorrow night to see in person the ntc3 looks pretty nice after closer inspection, but the hpi seems to have a lot of available hop ups.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Wild Gopher

if you wanna race and parking lot bash at the same time go TC3 all the way. You will hardly ever see a RS4 at revelation because they arent as competitive
Old 10-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Mugen Mbx5

If you hated working on the Ld3 just wait till you have to work on the HPI!! Go with the TC3 I did the opposite thing and went from the rs4 to a Ld3 and I like the Ld3(copy of the Tc3) way better. It is a lot easier to work on and no darn belts to bring the car to a halt when a pebble gets in the chassis.At least Hpi is now making dogbones!!
Old 10-05-2003, 10:26 PM
ShOzz

Thanks again all for your answers, I am gunna go ntc3 and get the team kit, I am thinking the rear exhaust but am not sure which engine.

Seems that out here the only 2 places that race do not have any engine size or type restrictions, anything goes at all.

Any suggestions for something screaming fast and that idles and runs smooth for 150-200

thanks again all.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Nitroaddict

shozz - in that price range, i would recommend two engines. both are fantastic, legal, and will deliver plenty of power. both are also rear exhaust with no pull start.

The OS Max .12 TR-T

The Mugen/Novarossi MR-12