Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

dope on balsa???

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

dope on balsa???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 05:03 PM
jboy381-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dope on balsa???

i'm going to try to cover balsa with dope...the problem is,i don't know how to use dope...is it thinned epoxy???
i read in other post that it comes in colors???
one more where can i get it???

john
Old 09-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: dope on balsa???

jboy,

You can get Dope Butyrate from www.brodak.com. John Brodak is a Control Liner and has a big line of products, kits and so on. I think it's around $5.00 for 4oz and $9.00 for 16 ozs. It comes in a bunch of different colors plus clear. I hope this helps.

Later,
Tim
Old 09-09-2003, 08:28 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy to apply. John like Tim said use the Butyrate dope because it is fuel proof. I generally use the nitrate dope for the first few coats and sand between with 400 grit. The Nitrate dope tends not to warp the solid wood tails and wings of the little birds. After a few coats of clear/balsa filler coat and sanding it is time for color. Tape off desired design with masking tape or i have been using the vinyl tape with good success. I then seal the tape with a coat of clear dope to keep the paint from creeping under the tape. This method leaves a clean sharp line. let dry and apply color. for final gloss I have been cheating because of the humid weather and using Lustracoat spray clear. Only issues with dope is that it will blemish/cloud with humid weather. If this occurs try waiting for dryer weather or possible under mild heat lamp. Watch out for those heat guns. Remember I warped the wing on the Page Boy the night before Johnson fly in getting in a hurry. Thankfully just a light spray clear coat on wing and holding correct alignment got rid of that warp. Dope acts like laquer paint. Drys quickly to the touch. I even use lacquer/acetone to clean my brushes with. I very rarely thin the dope I brush on color with. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob Harris
Old 09-09-2003, 09:26 PM
jboy381-RCU

tim: thanks for the info on where to get dope...there is a local guy in durham i can get it from...
what do you think about covering method for the page boy???

BobHH: i see you caught me...trying to figure out what to cover the page boy with...i really like how you did yours...i was thinking of going that route too..."moneycote",i don't think would look to good on that type of model...maybe i'll try the tissue & dope method...what do you think???

you guys are great,
john
Old 09-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

John,

I think the best method is doping it like Bob did his. MoneyKote would look weird on a old school ship like it plus how would you do the wing?

Later,
Tim
Old 09-10-2003, 07:44 PM
jboy381-RCU

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

John,

I think the best method is doping it like Bob did his. MoneyKote would look weird on a old school ship like it plus how would you do the wing?

Later,
Tim

tim, thats what i'vr been trying to figure out...the wing is the big problem...

john
Old 09-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cover balsa with dope and silkspan then,more dope... then paint. The silkspan covers all the grain and very small dings. I have also used "deft" ( a laquer wood finish) instead of nitrate dope.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:50 PM
jboy381-RCU

thanks jim

john
Old 10-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Jimmbbo

Another way to fill balsa or silkspan doped onto balsa is to brush on 25 - 50% thinned dope with 15-20% by volume of talcum powder added to it. Sanding with progressively finer paper every two or three coats at first, then every coat towards the end... smooth as a baby's bottom, and your model smells better than you do

Jim