Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

hornet or piccolo...wich is more rugged

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

hornet or piccolo...wich is more rugged

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 09:12 AM
mattijs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hornet or piccolo...wich is more rugged

I have been flying heli's for over 2 years now on FSM, i can perform most 3d moves like pyroloops, inverted hovers + flights, loops, rolls, backwards and sideways flight even when inverted. It really did take a long time though...much more change of left rights and ups and downs then airplanes....

I think i am ready for my first real one (Am i too confident??? )
Now since micro heli's are so awfully attractive since Lithium technology and CP have hit the hobby, i was thinking of either buying a PICCOLO or a HORNET at heli hobby. I was planning on going for the 710 and 720 dollar kits. They include diferent mods and a complete brushless setup + li poly batteries. I just can't choose wich one to take...i like the hornet more because it has cp tailrotor so is't tailmotor can't burn out BUT the picoolo is supposed to be so much more rugged. I have even read that you can fly a piccolo into a wall and it will live! So, is it true that a hornet is less rugged, more time consuming and difficult to setup or are the revised kits you buy today diferent from the ones two years ago?

Big thanks for all who help me...my first ever paycheck is coming and i have and unsatisfieable urge to spend.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:30 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: hornet or piccolo...wich is more rugged

No, you are not too confident. My brother hovered his piccolo on hist first flight after 20 or 30 hours of sim flying. I tell him that his advantage was me teaching him about the picc, but he really did much better than I did.
Yes, the piccolo can fly into a brick wall and survive. It is not indestructible like a Zagi wing, but a little CA goes a long way. The main rotor pops off in a crash and you pop it on, straighten things out with a twist of the flybar, and fly some more.
If you are considering getting a Piccolo, I would recommend getting a Fixed Pitch (FP) first, and then upgrading to Collective Pitch (CP) after you have become proficient in the FP. The CP costs more to fix when it breaks, it is easier to break, and is more finicky to get set up well.

I cannot help you much with the picc/hornet question, as I only have experience with the Picc, but I am sure you will have success either way, as you already have put practice in, and are willing to purchase the right pieces (LiPo and Brushless are awesome).

If you have more questions, feel free to contact me directly or go to the Icarus BBS for the Piccolo.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:43 AM
mattijs

isn't there anyone out here on these forums who owns both??? I really am confused. I suppose the tailrotor on the piccolo is it's weak point but to counter that the hornet probably has the tailboom wich is more of a hassle to change and much easier to break....The hornet has more gears that can wear out....And to complicate things even further....I really also want to take into account that one of the two has more cost/flytime...

PLZ help

ps....What is the point of having a flybarless heli...aren't they more quircky seeing the point of a flybar is to get model heli's to be more stable or am i wrong?
Old 10-09-2003, 03:16 PM
ozace

the hornet is not durable and tricky to set up.
if this is your first heli get the pic or humming bird both more durable than the hornet (i find the hornet better to fly though)
Old 10-09-2003, 04:17 PM
mattijs

Would it be stupid to buy an expensive setup at for starters...It's just that i hate the feeling of buying something i may want to replace later on for something quite the same but er....better and more expensive (do i make sense? ) Unless you just know for sure i will bust something , i see no reason for not buying an expensive one. Do you really need to be top notch to appreciate a brushless setup etc....is probably what i am trying to find out.

Plus, and i say this with utter most seriousness....I want to spend my first ever paycheck...badly , so plz stop me before it's too late.

Also, is there anybody who has bought someting at the helihobby site, especially somebody from europe.