Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Monokote base and additional stripes

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Monokote base and additional stripes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 11:23 PM
Jeff396
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote base and additional stripes

I am building a Midwest Pitt's special. I am covering it with true red Monokote. My question is what is the best way to apply the sunburst and stripes over the Monokote? I have considered painting them on, doing them in Monokote or using the adhesive trim sheets. There is also supposed to be a black border around all of the white stripes. Again, what would be my best bet for doing that? Can someone point me in a direction that would be the easiest but still get really nice results.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2002, 12:24 PM
BingoFlyer

I have very good luck installing sunbursts using MonoKote over Monokote. I cut the starburst and then apply by spraying Windex on the wing and applying the starburst and squeeging untill all bubbles are removed. I then let set for 24 hrs. before tacking down with a warm (175-200 deg.) iron then I go around the edges with a sealing iron set at hot.

I alao have had good luck by making a skin before starting to cover, The skin has the starburst cut out of the base color and a larger starburst applied over the cutout. I do this on a sheet of glass and have had good luck using a sealing iron (hot) and also MonoKote Adhesive Solvent. Again I use Windex sprayed on the glass and remove all bubbles with a squeege.

I hope this helps it is much easier than it sounds, the second method saves a little weight and has no chance of bubbles appearing under the starburst but is more time consuming and slightly more difficult.

The stripes around the sunburst I cut using MonoKote's SmartStripe it lets you cut perfect stripes and will pay for itself by not having to purchase stripe material (I use MonoKote scrap).
Old 04-30-2002, 12:37 PM
Jeff396
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks, I'll give the first method a shot. I think I'll try it on my test bed plane "Lil' Mule" and make my mistakes there. I was going to use the windex method with the adhesive backed stuff but had never heard of using it with Monokote. The other method sounds better but I don't think I'm quite up to that yet. Besides, I already have one of the wings covered.

Jeff