Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

os ..fx .46 with magnum piston- sleeve.

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

os ..fx .46 with magnum piston- sleeve.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:38 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os ..fx .46 with magnum piston- sleeve.

i have two os fx .46 engines. one is weak compression. been flying it over two years. i here the magnum .46 abc or abn piston & & sleeve fits right in.. they are 37.00 from hobby people vs..80.00 for a piston and sleeve from tower for an os .46 if you can even get one. anybody done this? i just wanna make sure or i'll just get a magnum .46 engine. there cheaper and run good. i have one and like it. thanks for any help..........RON
Old 06-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've read that the Hobby King ASP piston/liner fits the OS FX 46. I haven't tried it.
It's cheap enough to give it a try.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:57 PM
the pope

I have done the swap and it fits fine . I havent fired up the engine yet though . There is a thread somewhere on this . Cheers the pope
Old 06-05-2015, 03:52 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

If it were me, I'd give it a whirl. I'll probably do the same thing when my TT .46 Pro dies, if it ever does.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Stoneweapon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a little different conversion.

A 46FX with flaking got the Chrome-Brass sleeve from an old Magnum 46 XLS and the ringed piston from a OS Max 46 SF heli engine. (The piston dimensions are identical with the FX and FX-H).
It runs perfectly.
https://youtu.be/39lLocldGIc I would try to find a cheap Heli FX46 with ringed piston and transfer the Liner-Piston, back plate and the carburetor (get rid of the faulty needle design) and it will last for ever.

Last edited by Stoneweapon; 06-07-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoneweapon
I did a little different conversion.

A 46FX with pitting got the Chrome-Brass sleeve from an old Magnum 46 XLS and the ringed piston from a OS Max 46 SF Heli Engine. (The piston dimensions are identical with the FX and FX-H).
It runs perfectly.
https://youtu.be/39lLocldGIc I would try to find a cheap Heli FX46 with ringed piston and transfer the Liner-Piston, back plate and the carburetor (get rid of the faulty needle design) and it will last for ever.
Nice engine.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:45 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't the XLS the newer design, and the XL the same as the OS FX? I still wonder if maybe it may be better to seal up the XLS carb, and just use the Magnum/ASP as is. Interesting that a brass sleeve, and a ringed piston works well.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Stoneweapon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
Isn't the XLS the newer design, and the XL the same as the OS FX? I still wonder if maybe it may be better to seal up the XLS carb, and just use the Magnum/ASP as is. Interesting that a brass sleeve, and a ringed piston works well.
The Magnum XLS is the FX clone. The older Magnums are SF clones. To build up the OS ist definitely the better choice. Chromed Sleeves are not reserved for ringless engines. Super Tigre had a 61 engine with ABC Ring setup. All Saitos have Chromed Liners or crank cases with ringed pistons. It is the technically best solution but also the most expensive.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:35 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

I bought the ASP .46 P/L set from HK and it dropped straight in to my OS .46 FX after the OS liner peeled. Real chrome plating on the ASP liner is a bonus. No issues since.