Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Question about K&B mufflers

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Question about K&B mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Bob Jablonski

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about K&B mufflers

I have a question. What would be more interest be in on a K&B .18 CL engine, a full muffler of a tongue muffler? A full muffler would be quieter but the tongue muffler is lighter.
I was asked by the folks at K&B today but I thought I would see what the masses think.
My the way K&B is about done unpacking from there move to the new facility and more neet things on the way I cant talk about at this time.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
Old 04-11-2015, 05:50 AM
adanjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full muffler.
With a tongue muffler, the noise and the power are never compatible.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Bob Jablonski

Maybe an idea. The Sportser .20 I have from them has both mufflers. It it is only a couple bucks more....
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
Old 07-28-2015, 12:14 PM
ferocious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The K&B mufflers are very quiet and don't really affect the power. They have internal baffles and are somewhat broadly tuned pipes.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob and Ferocious,

Just took a look at MECOA's site, to get an idea of the mufflers they now feature with their various engines.

I know the 40** (4011, 4050, 4060) engines are loud when unmuffled, and that the older straight tubular can mufflers with exhaust tip out the centerline, not angled out, are also not quiet. The catalog pages also show a new form of muffler, with an aft-expanding cone shaped front half, and a (flat?) rear cap with exhaust tip angled out about 45°. I don't know those.

The stock Sportster .20 muffler is exceptionally quiet: I hope the other three Sportster mufflers do as well. I fly CL only: loudness is less critical than for RC, at many sites. We go no higher than 70' above ground and project a much smaller "cone of noise" over a single point than anything RC except 3D airplanes or helicopters.

Without the stock muffler, my .20 was louder and gained over a thousand RPM easily on the same prop, fuel and day. (I turned a simple spraybar-type venturii to replace the K&B Carb - using the same choke area.) The engine was also easier to hand-start, BTW.

CL Stunt 'tongue', or 'chip' mufflers, do well in the middle of an engine's power RPM range. Load is usually modest, and that's quieter operation by itself. Yes, there is some power loss, but a bit stronger 'throttle setting equivalent' , covers that. We configure "Chip" volume and total outlet area to restrict: no throttle plate or drilled "drum" as in RC carbs. We don't need controllable RPM in flight. A consistent, balanced "single-speed" configuration is most desirable. (RPM does vary in Stunt flight, in response to applying and releasing very large brief maneuver g loadings.) Of course, in CL Scale and Navy Carrier events, throttle is essential. Racing, Combat and Speed events are all "single speed" matters, too.

"Chips" are louder than effective large mufflers, as on the K&B Sportster .20. Stock OS FP and LA mufflers are fairly quiet and serve most of the engine's RPM range.. E.g., the stock OS FP 25 muffler gave the effect of a broad range tuned pipe well up towards the engine's ultimate peak HP RPM. In stock form, a 25 FP (with CL venturii, of course) was a sensible substitute for a GOOD Fox .35 in a "Fox .35 size" model!.

Oh, BTW Bob, one promising possibility for the K&B (or RJL?) .18 BBCL might need throttle - one Class of CL Carrier has a max displacement of 0.36 cu in. Fuel is restricted in some events, and muffled engines earn some extra consideration: stock mufflers in particular. AMA does have noise level guidance, too. Just a thought...
Old 07-31-2015, 05:17 AM
Bob Jablonski

I was Talking to them just yesterday. They are tweaking the needle valve for a couple special runs of motors for me (still a couple 2-4 weeks out). I don't see why they couldn't have some with carbs put on them. They already have a .18 with a carb for RC cars biggest thing is change the head from the heat sink to a airplane head. or if they are interchangable take the RC car carb and put it on the K&B .18 CL engine.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
[email protected]
Like us on Facebook
Old 07-31-2015, 05:58 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Jablonski
I was Talking to them just yesterday. They are tweaking the needle valve for a couple special runs of motors for me (still a couple 2-4 weeks out). I don't see why they couldn't have some with carbs put on them. They already have a .18 with a carb for RC cars biggest thing is change the head from the heat sink to a airplane head. or if they are interchangable take the RC car carb and put it on the K&B .18 CL engine.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
[email protected]
Like us on Facebook
Bob,
Just a guess but I think car engines run at a much higher RPM than most aircraft engines used for stunt or sport. That carb would probably need to be run with a bladder tank because of insufficient fuel draw.
Good luck with your new engines.

George
Old 08-04-2015, 07:29 AM
Bob Jablonski

Originally Posted by gcb
Bob,
Just a guess but I think car engines run at a much higher RPM than most aircraft engines used for stunt or sport. That carb would probably need to be run with a bladder tank because of insufficient fuel draw.
Good luck with your new engines.

George
The guy Running MECOA is pretty good at tweaking motors to do what is needs. Adjusting the ports or adjusting compression to get the desired power out put. You are correct that RC cars scream.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
Like us on Facebook