Community
Search
Notices
RCUniverse.com FAQ RCU''s most frequently asked questions.

os max 40

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:40 AM
rcp749

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os max 40

I'm a newbie. I just received an airplane that's been sitting for and unknown period of time. It has an OS Max 40 engine that was all gunked up. I took it apart and soaked it in denatured alchohol and go it moving again, but it won't start and doesn't draw fuel from the tank. The fuel lines aren't clogged, the servo operates the choke. glow glows bright, I tried priming it by pouring a little bit of fuel into the carb, but nothing is happening. It doesn't even pretend to try. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:46 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's just possible that when you reassembled it you might have gotten a couple things "off" a bit. Try these items for starters:

1. Make sure the needle valve fuel feed hole inside the venturi is pointing down into the engine.
2. Make sure your gaskets are sealed and not leaking.
3. Just for purposes of getting it started, throttle goes to full, close needle valve completely and re-open 2.5 turns. Holding your finger over the carb while slowly turning the prop, you SHOULD see fuel being drawn in. If not, check to see that air can get into the fuel tank (your overflow line should be clear), make sure the clunk is free and not plugged on the side of the tank. Your comment about not drawing fuel makes me think that's where your problem is. Also make sure you don't have a hole (pinhole) in your fuel lines.

Geez, it's an OS, it's gonna start.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:22 AM
rcp749

Thank you for your reply. I'll try your suggestions. I also have one other question. I noticed that when I have the joy stick at full throttle, it closes the choke and no throttle opens the choke. This is how it was when I got it, but that seems backwards to me. It's how the servo was set up and I assume the engine ran this way for the original owner, but it still seems backwards. Is this just the way this engine works? If not, how do I correct it? Thank you for taking the time to help
Old 09-21-2015, 09:52 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, for sure - if I'm reading you right, what you've got is wrong. Full throttle has your transmitter stick full forward and the choke is also full open (you can see down the intake). If this isn't how your plane is operating you can easily reverse it by toggling the trim-reverse switch (probably on the bottom of the xmtr). If you're operating in what is normally referred to as Mode-2, your throttle & rudder are on the left stick, elevator & ailerons are on the right stick. In this case, I'm pretty sure in saying that your channel-3 is the switch that needs to be reversed.

This is the switch I'm talking about: Oops, screwed it up the first time. Just ignore the impossibly tiny pic that's probably attached to this msg.

Anyway, the switch can be like this one, on front, or they're sometimes actually on the bottom of the xmtr. Whichever, it'll probably be channel-3. If it's up right now, flip it down, or vice versa, and try the controls again.

So, these are the steps to start with. There's a whole lot more to it, tuning for max performance, idle, all that good stuff, but getting her started and running is the first step. What I've outlined should git-r-done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	standard-xmtr-mode2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	2121259   Click image for larger version

Name:	standard-xmtr-mode2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2121266  
Old 09-21-2015, 10:04 AM
rcp749

Thanks again, I'll work on it and let you know how it goes. Thank you for your help
Old 09-23-2015, 04:05 AM
rcp749

I did what you suggested and the carb is working right now, but the engine still isn't drawing fuel. All the fuel lines are clear and don't seem to have any air leaks. It seems like the prop is spinning too easily, like there's no compression in the engine. Am I trying to kick start a dead horse or is there something else I can check and correct? Thanks again for your help.