Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

My Scratch Wraith Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Haleymon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Scratch Wraith Build

Hi All,

I started a scratch build on a Wraith.

As I started building I realized that it might be a good idea to take pics to share as it my help someone else or others could give me ideas as I go.

I will add more pictures as I go

With that being said any and all comments welcome...

Radio - Airtronics MT-4
Motor - Holmes Crawl Master 13T
Gears - 32P 12T - 56T
ESC - Holmes Waterproof Torque Master
Castle 10A BEC
Servos - 240G MG Waterproof (Front & Rear)
Shocks - GMade Zero 124MM with droop kits
1.5 pound Springs

Battery Tray Moved to Front

Tray With Battery

Telemetry Sensors Installed Heat & Speed on the Motor & Heat on the ESC

Not Bad Travel!

Old 06-07-2015, 01:53 PM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool looks great so far. 4 wheel steer wraith. gonna be sweet.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Haleymon

Here's more...

Just waiting on my Gears

Texas Hill Country here I come!!!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:16 AM
RustedRC

turned out good. now hit them trails and grab some pics.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Mike Flea

When you say scratch-built, do you mean you bought the Wraith kit, and are adding improvements as you build, or did you pick up a Wraith as a basket case, or like the body and running gear from RC recyclers/e-bay, and building it from there, using your own upgrade parts? Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical, but "scratch-built" covers a wide range. The idea is to have fun with your toys, and it looks like you are, and I'm interested to see how this comes along.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:29 PM
RustedRC

Not bashing u Haleymon but mike flea does have a point.i did kinda think from the thread name that you were doing some custom parts or something.
never the less a 4 wheel steer wraith is awesome. got any on the trail pic's man?
Old 06-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Haleymon

Originally Posted by Mike Flea
When you say scratch-built, do you mean you bought the Wraith kit, and are adding improvements as you build, or did you pick up a Wraith as a basket case, or like the body and running gear from RC recyclers/e-bay, and building it from there, using your own upgrade parts? Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical, but "scratch-built" covers a wide range. The idea is to have fun with your toys, and it looks like you are, and I'm interested to see how this comes along.
Well... this is a bit crazy but.... I bought this "kit" (I'm using that term EXTREMELY loosely) for 50 cents at a garage sale in a brown card board box and this is no exaggeration... not one piece was screwed together and btw there were no screws or bolts with the kit. Everything else amazingly was there except electronics. I downloaded the manual and had the radio. Everything else I bought or made.

As for fabricating parts... The front battery tray was fabricated... The way the ESC and radio box is mounted is fabricated... And to get the amount of travel I now have I had to remove pieces from the front end for clearance of the front servo.

I'm calling it "Scratch" as it's the first time I've ever attempted anything like this.

I ran it in the back yard for the first time and I must say. 4WS and longer shock travel is the way to go. Makes crawling a great deal easier and expands your places to play.

I have $219.50 invested in this... WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!

Dave
Old 06-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Haleymon

Originally Posted by RustedRC
Not bashing u Haleymon but mike flea does have a point.i did kinda think from the thread name that you were doing some custom parts or something.
never the less a 4 wheel steer wraith is awesome. got any on the trail pic's man?

No fun time pics yet... Hopefully this weekend!

Dave
Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 AM
RustedRC

50 cents for most of a wraith is amazing. wow what a lucky find. don't forget to do some water proofing before getting it wet.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 AM
RustedRC

50 cents for most of a wraith is amazing. wow what a lucky find. don't forget to do some water proofing before getting it wet.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Mike Flea

Why can't I ever find treasures like this for .50?, lol, great find! Like Rusted said, make sure you waterproof your servo and electronics. There's a couple waterproofing videos on YouTube, and one of the most informative is from RC ADVENTURES from a guy named DJ Medic. He says to dip everything in "Plasti-Dip, but I've used liquid electrical tape with the same results.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Haleymon

Why can't I ever find treasures like this for .50?, lol, great find! Like Rusted said, make sure you waterproof your servo and electronics. There's a couple waterproofing videos on YouTube, and one of the most informative is from RC ADVENTURES from a guy named DJ Medic. He says to dip everything in "Plasti-Dip, but I've used liquid electrical tape with the same results.

Okay guys...

My ESC and servos are factory waterproofed and all other electronics are in a waterproof box... Are you saying to waterproof them even more?

If so, why.

Thanks for the video tip!

Dave

Last edited by Haleymon; 06-11-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Mike Flea

If you've already waterproofed them once, you're good to go, I might run a bead around the waterproof box, but if you're not going to turn it into a submarine, then you should be done. Myself, personally, I stay out of mud baths, and don't submerge my trucks anymore than the top of the tires. I'm running a brushed motor, and water won't hurt it, but, the silt that is kicked up when you run through a creek, will, and I hate replacing brushes.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Haleymon

If you've already waterproofed them once, you're good to go, I might run a bead around the waterproof box, but if you're not going to turn it into a submarine, then you should be done. Myself, personally, I stay out of mud baths, and don't submerge my trucks anymore than the top of the tires. I'm running a brushed motor, and water won't hurt it, but, the silt that is kicked up when you run through a creek, will, and I hate replacing brushes.
Cool...

I might hit a puddle or two on a trail But I built this mostly for rock...

Dave
Old 06-12-2015, 05:42 AM
RustedRC

Yep clean fresh water is ok to go through. if you do get some dirt in it just run clean water in it while you run the motor. i hold mine in the air and throttle a little then pour the water in the holes of the motor. if you do want to go in the mud i have found that if you use pantie hoes and cover the motor it helps. i cut the toes off two and double wrap the motor put a hole for the motor shaft in the center of the toes and i sew the end after its on so the wires stick out. some say it helps others say not really. i think it does because i put my honcho in mud deep and thick enuff to get it stuck and the mud goes up to the bottom of the window some times.
oh and just a tip sea/salt water is bad for the motors and all the electronics. salt water is a better conductor than fresh.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:08 AM
wrecker344

Well I have a close one. it wasn't a .50 cent find BUT........................ This past summer, I scored a Vaterra Twin Hammers RTR and an Axial Yeti XL are you ready for this?? For $300!! I'm not lying to you all. My wife has a co-worker who had a son who's gone off to college and has dropped the hobby cold. She asked him what to do with the stuff and said sell it. And she did. CHEAP! Both of them were in near out of the box condition and the twin was virtually brand new. It even had a Dynamite shorty pack it it! So. Good deals are out there, few and FAR between lol. I just hope the college kid don't coming knocking when he's home next looking for more jack!