Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

World's first: Integration of CNC milling, turning and 3D printing.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

World's first: Integration of CNC milling, turning and 3D printing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 05:44 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default World's first: Integration of CNC milling, turning and 3D printing.

In my continuous search for new techniques, materials and production processes, I would like to share a new design that will be available soon.

This is a UHF ( Ultra High Flow ) fuel stopper for 200N to 500N engines.
It has several unique features like 4 UHF tubes ( 5.7 mm ID to 6.1 mm ID ), and ultra large clamping surface for the elastomer cap.

However the really unique feature of this product is that the top cap is CNC machined then directly 3D printed in the same machining process.
This is a prototype process where the printing head is fitted in the ATC ( automatic Tool Change ) carousel and grabbed by the milling spindle. Then the printing process is made as a reverse substractive manufacturing. This is a specific process where the substractive manufacturing Gcode is reversed ad used for additive manufacturing.

I was willing to see what could be done combining 3 axis cartesian milling together with 3D printing. The printing head is a E3D unit mounted on a ISO20 collet ( that does not turn obviously ). I spent some time tweaking the code on my Siemens D840 Sinumerik controller to enable this process. It is quite interesting to see the end result:

The other thing I am quite pride about is the 3D printing elastomer. This was developed for us by a US company specialized in prototyping plastics.
The printing is very easy and the product completely immune to kerosene degradation.
I have had a proofing sample immersed in kerosene for 6 month now and it is absolutely as new.
This material opens up fantastic design opportunities for gaskets and other kerosene tank accessories.

Stay tuned!!!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:02 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

Oli with all these cool innovations you could make A LOT more money selling such ideas in other industries! But I'm glad that you have such a love for R/C Jets.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:14 PM
ps2727

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that is some original thinking!
Many possibilities for industry.
Congrats!
Paul
Old 10-30-2015, 07:08 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks all.
Here is the product that I just placed online: