Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1/4 Fokker motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 11:01 PM
pmirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 Fokker motor problem

I'm new at this, so please bear with me. I have a 1/4 scale Balsa USA Fokker Triplane.
They recommend a Zenoah G-23 motor. I just picked up a dummy Le Rhone for it. I would like to find a way to make the dummy rotate while in flight, and use it to hide the G-23 as much as possible. Can it be done and if so how?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 10-23-2003, 08:19 AM
flying wires
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/4 Fokker motor problem

Hello,

Check out www.gtmodels.com. look under new products. Glen has a dummy engine mounting kit, engine does not rotate but it is a nice mounting kit to hide your motor and give a nice scale touch. Also check out his cockpit kit....good for any 1/4 scale fokker plane. I'm currently building the DR-1. Perform a search on this site....most guy's are using a G-26, I've heard of a few using 33-38cc motors also.

Brian
Old 10-23-2003, 09:13 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Please don't try to rotate a dummy engine at propeller speed. Things can fly off in all directions and balancing will be nearly impossible. You'll shake the airframe to pieces.

Stick with a good looking dummy engine that's stationary and you'll be better off.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Rocketeer10

I agree with Dick, having a dummy engine turning with the prop would cause all sorts of balance problems and might even affect engine cooling. I have in the past mounted a removable plate to the bottom of a Dr.1 cowl and attached 4 dummy william bros cylinder heads to it so they were very visiable. The plate hid the model engine (Saito .91) and made the model look great on the ground. In the air, you could not tell one way or the other...
GY
Old 10-23-2003, 12:42 PM
pmirl

Thanks for the help guys! I hadn't thought about the balance thing. I am definitely going to pick up the cockpit kit. I am trying to make this as accurate as possible. Do you guys know of anybody who has covered a flying model in cloth instead of the normal skin?

Paul
Old 10-23-2003, 01:08 PM
flying wires

I plan on covering mine with solortex iron on faberic by Balsa USA and using latex flat (Brush on) to get the streakey Fokker factory paint scheme. A new released book "Fokker DR-1 Over The Western Front by "Paul Leaman" Is the ultimate Fokker DR-1 Book (IMO) Hard Back, 300 plus pages. Check out the following site, www.fokkerdr-1.com, under the book link.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:13 PM
flying wires

Sorry the link is www.fokkerdr1.com
Gerryy, just received a phone call.... the Fokker D-VII has arrived! come on 3:00!!

Brian
Old 10-24-2003, 10:05 AM
boothg

MINE IS COVERED WITH CENTURY 21 FABRIC , AND SAITO 150 , GREAT COMBONATION WEIGHT IS 14 lbs