Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Stinking About Gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 08:32 PM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinking About Gas

I'm looking at a Ohio Model Planes GS540 profile for an upcoming project.
On glow, this thing would easily drink down two gallons a week the way I fly.
So I'm considering gas as an option.

For transport, I have a minivan with the back dedicated to my airplanes.
This is my daily driver, so I am concerned about stinking up my ride.
How do you guys get around this problem? Do I need to get a trailer?

Any other advice on this project would be welcome.
I guess my next big ticket concern would be to keep the noise down.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:50 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Stinking About Gas

Marty,
I was worried about this also when I got my first gasser this summer. Keep the gas can tightly closed and you won't have any oder. It only stinks right after you fill it (no matter how careful you are). Can't tell you why, probably the same reason your hands stink even if you don't get any gas on them.

Tom
Old 10-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Stick Jammer

Won't be a problem as long as you have a good gas container with NO leaks. Most gas containers have a cheezy vent cap (the little yellow cap on red plastic cans) that usually needs to be removed and sealed with Leak Lock or something similar when you re-install it. As far as the plane, just empty the tank when your done flying and make sure you plug the vent line.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:24 AM
shenion

I also put a plug in the vent line to prevent fumes from the tank during transport.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:12 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard (no direct experience) that some guys at our field have been using white gas for that very reason.
Edwin
Old 10-22-2003, 09:15 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Another possibility is to use avaition gas. It doesn't smell.

Tom
Old 10-22-2003, 09:30 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

I have a tiny toyota echo and carry a 28% staudacher no problem. I use a 1 gallon blitz can that I keep tightly closed up and then inside a 5 gallon paint bucket with the lid closed all the way. It seals up good. I do this now because I had a leak once that could have been a real bad thing. Keep the gas can full because it has less air to expand in the heat etc. I've been burning almost a gallon a day, when home, I just top it off. It is a very easy way to do this and have had not one problem since doing it this way. Be careful, this is powerful stuff. !~)
Good luck Marty and have fun!

Joe
Old 10-22-2003, 10:57 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Marty:

I transport my gasser's in a SUV. I find that the warmer it is outside, the more you can smell the gas on the inside. BUT, it only lasts while the plane(s) are in the SUV. Once they are taken out the smell disappears. This is probably because I do what the other posts have suggested. Keep your gas container well sealed and use a stopper in the vent line when your not flying (don't forget to take it out when you do fly).
I also find driving with (at least) one of the windows opened about 3-4 inches will help keep the fumes to a minimum while driving. As long as you don't spill any gas on the inside of your vehicle, I wouldn't worry much. If you practice what everyones been telling you the smell dissipates and goes away very quickly once the plane(s) and gas can is unloaded.

P.S. I don't use a air freshener either, but it wouldn't hurt.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:52 AM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Buy your gas at the local full sized flying field....aviation gas doesn't have the odor of regular unleaded.....no smell in the Suburban or on your hands after flying.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:56 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

It stinks when you fill it because you're displacing the fume filled air in the tank with gas, driving the fumes into the atmosphere.

It stinks when it gets hot in the car because the fume filled air in the tank expands, once again dumping fumes out the vent line.

The beauty... gas fumes rise, they don't sink.

I keep my plane in a spare bedroom with the vent line left unplugged and have no issues with smell.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:17 AM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

Ever thought about the fuel additive that speed shops sells, the stuff that makes you gas smell like cherries, vanilla, cinnamon etc.

I've been using the cherry flavor for a while..makes it more tolerable and the exhaust smells great...can't tell that it's hurting the motors any...
1 teaspoon to the gallon.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:02 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Avaition gas does smell. Just not as bad. Its a different kind of odor.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you could rig a small mount on the rear bumper of the minivan.

Use some bungees or velcro to hold the can to a mount on the bumper. That would keep the can and fumes out of the car. You'd still have the tank on the plane to contend with, but not as big of a deal as a full gallon can.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:55 PM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

Rcpilet
Im not sure about other states but its illegal to carry gas in a container. Now sticking it on the outside of the car..... My cure is to empty the tank in the plane and plug any open lines. Put your container of fuel in a 5 gal pail and seal it. Dont spill any in the car. pjamesrc
Old 10-24-2003, 02:06 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: PJAMESRC

Rcpilet
Im not sure about other states but its illegal to carry gas in a container. Now sticking it on the outside of the car..... My cure is to empty the tank in the plane and plug any open lines. Put your container of fuel in a 5 gal pail and seal it. Dont spill any in the car. pjamesrc
Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my suggestion. I would definetly empty the tank in the plane and plug the vent lines.

You could rig a small mount to support a 1 gallon gas can. Install the mount to your bumper and secure the 1 gallon can with some bungees or other device. That keeps the can outside the vehicle.

I can't see where it's illegal to carry gas in a container. A gas can is a container. I see off road Jeep guys carrying 5 gallon cans on the back of their jeeps all the time. You see lawn maintenance guys carrying gas cans in the back of pickups all the time.

Hope this clears thing up.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:23 AM
ml3456

New Jersey does not even allow you to fill your own car (no self serve), so I think this may be a state law. ( Pjamesrc, nice law in winter!!) The law does say an approved container must be used. This is a DOT regulation. Lets not change the focus of the original thread though.

Also, mounting a gas can on your bumber waiting to get possibly rear ended may not be a good idea!

ML
Old 10-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Might as well be driving a 74 pinto with a gas can on your bumper. BOOOOM! Well a little dramatic maybe. NJ state law says you can only dispense fuel into a DOT approved container, ie plastic red gas tank. No empty bleach bottles ( have seen someone try, dont laugh) or any other type of container.
This is a great subject though. We have to take turns cutting at our field and last weekend was my first weekend (new to the field this summer). Presently I am making the move to gas engines and getting awat from smaller glow. As I was transporting the fuel to the field(lawnmower at the field), the thought struck me... Hmmm, my truck is gonna smell like gas everytime I go fly from now on (SUV) and i am not liking it to much. I kinda like the additive idea as well as sealing it in a large pail. I have a large plastic container I am gonna put mine in. Its roughly 2' x 4' and about 18" deep with a locking lid and try that. There is also enough room to keep all my flight gear in it as well. I think wally world sells them. Its black with a grey lid.

Warren