Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Revo 3.3 Restore a Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Chaotix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo 3.3 Restore a Good Idea?

Hello everyone, this is my first post here on this site, so I apologize in advance if I'm doing anything wrong. Anyway, one of the guys I work with gave me a Revo 3.3 that he didn't want anymore. He stripped some parts off it for his E-Revo, and it needs a bit of love. It has the chassis and most major components, complete engine/ tranny, servos, suspension, chassis, and a few other parts. It needs a new radio, bearing holders, CV joins, a drive shaft, a control arm, and a couple of other miscellaneous items. My question for you guys is; is it worth it? It cost me absolutely nothing to get, and I have some connections where I normally get some good discounts on parts. I've been in this hobby for years, and have done many rebuilds and even custom builds, but never on something so new. A few people told me on crazy and it's not worth it, but I kinda just want some more opinions.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:08 AM
RustyUs

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

It all comes back to, if your heart is into it, and parts availability. I'm sure you can get a list of parts together. Add them up; you then should have a better idea for your judgement. Before dumping any money into the thing, I'd make sure the engine runs first.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-16-2016 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:33 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello!
Yes, used nitro vehicles can be a money pit . It really depends how well they were taken care of.
If you have a hobby shop nearby go and price the parts needed to complete. If not go to the Traxxas site, download the exploded views ,get the part numbers and price the parts on Tower Hobbies.

But first as Rusty mentioned, try and get the engine running. If the engine is worn you will be looking at around $60.00 + to rebuild it depending on what it requires. Another option is to trade it in to Traxxas and get a new engine for $110.00.

Is it worth it? You will have to decide that. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2016, 08:57 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yea used nitros as stated can run great(very very rare), or from my experience be completely screwed up.

Personally if the engine don't work right I wouldn't trade the motor in if it was screwed up as you can buy a brand new one in box for $120 on ebay, and could sell off the old one for probably $30-60 or so, or keep it for spare parts like a cooling head if you damage it while running, or the con-rod if it snaps, or even the engine block if it splits(rare, but does happen).

ALSO before ANYTHING even taking it to a hobby shop go watch videos on youtube on nitro RC's, mainly ones for starting, an tuning them. The LHS when I 1st got a nitro RC the employees had absolutely NO idea about nitro, and were giving me absolutely terrible advice. If I didn't do my homework ahead of time they would have sold me a pile of worthless stuff, and trashed the engine if it was new(well it was trashed as it was a used nitro). Well ok they did sell me something worthless (traxxas topfuel that stuff sucks).

Also watching the videos will show you if Nitro is for you as many people are dissuaded from them.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 11-24-2016 at 09:04 AM.